Beans/Peas in a raised bed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans/Peas in a raised bed?

I have raised beds 4ft wide and 18ft long running east-west.
    The four beds are adjacent, in a block North to South
    How should I organise my sowing of beans and peas:

a - for the legumes

b - for the other crops?
    Last edited by moreteavicar; 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM.

Tall things on the North/shady side. Low crops on the south/sunny side.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm....
      But one long row on the North side will turn the bed behind it into the "Dark-side" -never a good thing!

Comment

My south facing bed runs east to west,you can plant anything anywhere,the sun goes around,all areas get the sun. Meteor peas can be sown in a big patch in October,then runner bean teepees can go in any space. Id have the shorter crops at the front for ease of harvest.
        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moreteavicar View Post
          Hmmmmmmm....
          But one long row on the North side will turn the bed behind it into the "Dark-side" -never a good thing!
          Without knowing how your beds are laid out its difficult to advise - but you could turn the most northerly bed into the tall plants bed.
          Also not all peas and beans are tall - depends on what you're growing too.

Comment

Resurrecting this one as I lost track of it.

I have raised beds 4ft wide and 18ft long running east-west.
            The four beds are adjacent, in a block North to South
            How should I organise my sowing of beans and peas?

Thinking particular of how to support Runners, also Alderman peas.

Comment

I must be underthinking this as I don't understand the problem with bunging the beans and peas in the most northerly bed.

Pictures of various bean frames at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_93190.html

Comment

Most northerly bed - and the year after?

Plus, my main issue is what support system and layout - bearing in mind the bed design and being two feet high?
                How to get to them for tending and picking.
                Last edited by moreteavicar; 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Runner beans can have a permanent bed. They don't need to be part of a rotation.

Most "raised beds" are one plank high, not 2 feet! Recommended width is about 3 feet to make it easier to reach the middle without stepping on the bed. Runner beans supports would run the length of the bed, probably centrally, with scope to plant quick maturing low veggies either side of the supports.

I can't imagine a layout for a bed that's 2 feet high, 4 feet wide and 18 feet long, sorry. You're best place to know what you can reach with ease. Perhaps planting the beans on a low crossing X shape to encourage the top-most beans to hang above your head, rather than bunched up in the middle might help?

Comment

You could rotate the crops within the beds. For brassicas and root crops this shouldnt be a problem. It might mean you need more supports for your legumes. So, if you had a 4 year rotation for example, you would have brassicas say in the first 4.5' of each bed, roots in the next 4.5' legumes next and then the rest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X