Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In between the rain showers I got some peas in... and 2 skip runs

Comment

Plot looks lovely and big with a cracking shed but....
      and this is just me, no slur on you

the sight of all that brown weed killered vegetation scares the beejesus out of me, but like i said thats just me

good luck with the plot, looks a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
        Plot looks lovely and big with a cracking shed but....
        and this is just me, no slur on you

the sight of all that brown weed killered vegetation scares the beejesus out of me, but like i said thats just me

good luck with the plot, looks a cracker.
        Those weeds are just a minor problem compared to my other plot. The other half of the plot will be sprayed once the rain stops and the wind drops.

Comment

Ditto, jack

Comment

Nice shed very nice and surface is nice and flat.My has a slop.Weedkiller is problably not a place to disscuss here .Wish.you have good harvest.

Comment

Great work so far. Great you have managed to plant things. Looks a nice plot. Mine had peaks and troughs all over the place.

Comment

Todays efforts went into the small plot, but I did manage to get an outdoor cucumber planted into the big one.

May get back up later and do some digging ready for carrots.

Comment

Managed another 45 minutes this evening, the wife did some digging whilst I got a row of desiree in. 20p from wilkies seemed silly not to.

Weather looks poor for the next few days so the carrots will have to wait.

Comment

Not updated for a while, things like a lads holiday in Benidorm got in the way... oh, and tending the small plot.

Anyway heres the latest pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	158F9FDB-F6E1-42D7-96C2-85D1C5F58D5F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	2384570

Peach tree in, area cleared for greenhouse

Name:	5E108E83-337C-468B-B2E5-90490F70E32A.jpg
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	2384571

Dead weeds raked off to allow the remaining seeds to germinate, ready for the final spray.

Comment

Name:	3512A3C6-159F-40BB-B42D-6FF73FE5F85B.jpg
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2384925

A bit more work in between weeding and harvesting the small plot.

The left side will be ‘no dig’ from the outset..

Comment

Time to re-visit this and post an update.

It’s been hard work running to the two plots, but we’ve had some great fruit and veg.

The ‘big one’ gave us great spuds and squashes, along with some lovely pumpkins on the 50% we cultivated. In the meantime I’ve been setting up the other 50% for next year, hope you guys n gals approve.

Name:	D7A89C66-0642-4F63-8389-629762F14B70.jpg
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	2385576

Name:	0A441E9B-5D6A-4B29-8CB7-226DF01D1BE7.jpg
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	2385577

Straw wall is multi-purpose...

Comment

Now we have a break in what seemed to be constant rain I’ve managed to get a bit of work done...

IBC and 4 water butts in place, and an area covered in cardboard ready for a small seating area to be set up.

Pond ripped out and the hole filled with 3 bags of pigeon manure, this is going to be a pumpkin spot.

No Dig side is complete, with raised beds for carrots, parsnips and a variety of beans, 70 strawberry plants, 18 Rasberry bushes, 3 blackcurrants ( not my idea ), 12 rhubarb plants ( Gin production in overdrive ), 3 maturing compost bins for squashes.

The other side is now dug waiting on some frost, and now has the straw bale raised beds in place along with a peach and apple tree. May add a pear tree.

Name:	ECDE3B55-21BD-4733-9265-63097A2FA9D0.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2386063

Name:	22B77913-EEB3-4A93-BB96-524490ACF228.jpeg
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2386064
                          Last edited by Logunner; 19-01-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Spent a few hours tidying up... still looks like a tip

Started the ‘warming up’ of the straw beds with a mix of ammonium sulphate, FBB, chicken manure and pee. Need a thermometer to check the temp in the next couple days, any recommendations?

Both beds covered, hoping it helps spread the heat into the manure centre.

Name:	1D62BC9C-6FBF-484C-9C86-94273B19D7E2.jpeg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2386245

Name:	D5C98F80-266A-4565-B611-963539518618.jpeg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2386246

Name:	8EF3737B-9E44-439E-B907-595748F6F472.jpeg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	2386247

Name:	8AABB310-89DE-4761-BAAA-CA917C2B9183.jpeg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2386248

Comment

While I do have one of those long compost thermometers (on-line special iirc), you will be able to tell if the stuff is hot easily at this time of year. Plunge you hand in a few inches, if it's warm you can cerytainly feel it. If you want to keep your hands clean, lift a forkful and see if there is steam coming from the centre. The heat is the by product of the micro life consuming the manure and composting elements. Make sure it isn't too wet or too dry, a cardboard cover to prevent rain washout helps. I have been known to top up the nitrogen with some wee from time to time, and letting in some air/oxygen for the microlife can work wonders. Lastly size is important! The wider/deeper the pile the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                                While I do have one of those long compost thermometers (on-line special iirc), you will be able to tell if the stuff is hot easily at this time of year. Plunge you hand in a few inches, if it's warm you can cerytainly feel it. If you want to keep your hands clean, lift a forkful and see if there is steam coming from the centre. The heat is the by product of the micro life consuming the manure and composting elements. Make sure it isn't too wet or too dry, a cardboard cover to prevent rain washout helps. I have been known to top up the nitrogen with some wee from time to time, and letting in some air/oxygen for the microlife can work wonders. Lastly size is important! The wider/deeper the pile the better.

Thanks ESB. It’s the bales I need to measure, and the construct means they need to be kept whole.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X