Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big wave from a novice!! What would you have done differently?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two_Sheds
    replied
    Originally posted by NickyRich View Post
    I have taken over my late dad's allotment with my sister in law
    Nicky, is this official? ie do you have a tenancy agreement in your own name? It's not usual to be able to "inherit" an allotment, or pass it on to someone else without the explicit agreement of the committee.

I don't mean to rain on your parade ~ it's better to find out now, than after you've put in lots of money, time & sweat into the lotty

Leave a comment:

• Florence Fennel
    replied
    Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine

Leave a comment:

• Bill HH
    replied
    Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
    ... and the means to make a brew.

Welcome and enjoy.
    Naturellement!

Leave a comment:

• PyreneesPlot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
    And don't forget the comfy chair.
    ... and the means to make a brew.

Welcome and enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Bill HH
    replied
    And don't forget the comfy chair.

Leave a comment:

• noviceveggrower
    replied
    Hi and welcome. I learnt that last year was a learning curve. So things grew some things didn't.
    I had so many courgettes I was sick of looking at them.
    Also don't be afraid to ask questions. I ask loads here. You might think its a bit of a daft one but if you don't know the answer then its not a daft question.
    Your plot looks really nice and a good size plot to.
    Oh and remember enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• Bill HH
    replied
    Welcome, thats a lovely plot. My only advice is grow what you actualy eat, its so easy when in the seed shop to buy loads of stuff and then wish you hadnt, and be prepared for some dissapointment alongside the successes.The Rhubarb will come rest assured. Resist the temptation to plant things too closely together, you have a good sized plot so no need and things do like their space, also it makes it easier to weed. Finaly make compost, as much as you can.

Leave a comment:

• Veggielot
    replied
    Nothing really, the paths between some of my beds could do with being a couple of inches wide and a larger shed with hindsight but nothing I can't live with.

Leave a comment:

• Jakejakeyjakejake
    replied
    Originally posted by NickyRich View Post
    We want to grow potatoes, beans, peas, leeks, onions, beetroot, sweetcorn parsnips and carrots along with some salad crops. I have been reading about compnaion planting and sacrificial planting so have bought some seeds for nasturtiums, marigolds and anti-slug and snail flowers! We are planning a path to split the plot to make it more manageable. My dad didn't feel the need as he was retired and could go there every day if he needed to but we are trying to fit it in around full time jobs (and a host of other hobbies!)
    It's a good size even with a path up the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Hello & welcome

Leave a comment:

• NickyRich
    replied
    We want to grow potatoes, beans, peas, leeks, onions, beetroot, sweetcorn parsnips and carrots along with some salad crops. I have been reading about compnaion planting and sacrificial planting so have bought some seeds for nasturtiums, marigolds and anti-slug and snail flowers! We are planning a path to split the plot to make it more manageable. My dad didn't feel the need as he was retired and could go there every day if he needed to but we are trying to fit it in around full time jobs (and a host of other hobbies!)

Leave a comment:

• NickyRich
    replied
    I am sure I saw a few shoots so that should be ok then. Spent two hours weed clearing and turning over the soil yesterday-it's certainly a good workout!!!

Leave a comment:

• KittyColdNose
    replied
    Looks good Nicky. Rhubarb should be starting to poke new shoots up around about now. If you have a careful rummage you might see some.

Leave a comment:

• NickyRich
    replied

Here is our allotment. We are going to be rotating our crops so they are all in different place from last year. It is a lovely, sunny spot which is protected from the wind. Behind my photographing position, there is a raised bed, raspberry plants and our shed. We also have rhubarb which seems to have died back completely-is that normal? xxx
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• KittyColdNose
    replied
    Hello and welcome to the vine

I don't think there is anything I would do differently if I could go back. It was a steep learning curve for us when we got our small garden and we have had fun... along with tears when I fell over and hurt mi ankle Only the layout and stuff we grow is different now.

Grow food you like eating and don't go mad with a million different plant types. There is always time to expand and experiment next year. That's a thing I like about growing your own

There is a wealth of knowledge on here so ask any questions you may have. I'm sure you will do well, and would like to see your lotty, do you have any pics?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X