Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Congratulations on signing up Trev. The buckets could be for forcing a crop (excluding the light) on eg rhubarb, chicory, sea kale etc.
    Know what you mean about timing your activities around the weather, we took our second plot on at this time of year and as an old and experienced gardener pointed out at the time "good gardens are made in winter"
    Gives you time to tend to structures and beds without too many crops in the way.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    well all signed up and now the owner of plot 15b, Just need some good weather when not working to start attacking things.

One thing I did find on site which I have no idea of what its for, there are about 8 buckets screwed together in pairs, tops together with holes drilled in 1 bottom like a plant pot and the other has its bottom cut off to form a diamond shape plant pot, I was thinking maybe for potatoes? any ideas

edit to add :

you can see two of them in the the covered work space area, I didnt realise they were screwed together at the time.
    Last edited by Trev-P; 15-12-2021, 10:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Looks like you've got the first rule of gardening (after all the other first rules, of course): only grow what you like to eat. Hope you're able to get the paperwork sorted soon.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 09-12-2021, 05:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

I add something new to my regulars every year. Surprising how often they get added to the regulars for future years. Whatever else you do, don't grow too many courgette plants unless your family, your neighbours and vague acquaintances absolutely love them...
    Funny you should say that as I dont like Courgettes or Cucumbers( Cucumbers seem to repeat on me and get bad acid reflux with them) not a great fan of squashes either.

Also just an update still havent got access to the site yet, waiting for the forms to sign, So havent had a real good look at whats what yet and the real state of things.
    Last edited by Trev-P; 08-12-2021, 10:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Originally posted by Trev-P View Post
    I think my first goal is to work out what I/family wants to eat plus some experimental and take it from there.
    I add something new to my regulars every year. Surprising how often they get added to the regulars for future years. Whatever else you do, don't grow too many courgette plants unless your family, your neighbours and vague acquaintances absolutely love them...

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Thanks for all the advise, I have already watched a few of charles dowding on youtube and he realy does give good advice, I think my first goal is to work out what I/family wants to eat plus some experimental and take it from there.
    Last edited by Trev-P; 04-12-2021, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by Trev-P View Post
    Thanks all

Now I have just got to work out what i am doing... as I said from the start a total novice at this,No idea whats best for the netted areas! maybe I should start a new post.
    You could look at YouTube too Trev. Charles Dowding in particular springs to mind - even if you don't go down the no-dig route he has some great down to earth advice and ideas particularly about starting off seed, growing and when to sow.
    As Snoop says, to any one question you'll get lots of different answers, listen to what everyone says and take the route you feel might be best for you

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Use the search facility, Trev, or start a new thread for each particular question. There are lots of friendly folk on here glad to share their knowledge. We might not always give the same answer, but you'll get lots of information. I like it when other people ask questions as I often learn something new from the answers other members give. It's been said on here many a time, but there's no such thing as a daft question if it's one you feel the need to ask.

And start a blog so you can keep track of progress and get comments from other people on here. Towards the top of the page, you'll see a tab marked 'Blogs'. Click on that and away you go.

Another place you could look for inspiration on this forum is Penellype's thread: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...pe-s-allotment

Penellype has been keeping this thread going for years, so there's a lot to read on there. But masses of information too.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Yes a new post with photos exciting times,it’s good having photos to look at in the evening,then you can plan what’s going where,what needs to be done.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Thanks all

Now I have just got to work out what i am doing... as I said from the start a total novice at this,No idea whats best for the netted areas! maybe I should start a new post.
    Last edited by Trev-P; 02-12-2021, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Happy growing, Trev. Well worth putting your name down. Glad it's worked out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Congrats that is a tidy looking plot Trev

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Lovely!! Brilliant news well done

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    WOW ..well done you.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    I managed to get the viewing today as the weather was alot better and all I can say is I think i hit the jackpot!

Theres a large walk in area netted off from the birds Plus a small polly tunnel, 4 raised beds that are probabley 45 inches tall all filled with good soil,
    other standard beds, fairly large covered work area/potting table, another caged area with what looks like blackberry and raspberry in there and to top it off very close water supply .I just cant believe my luck lol
    Last edited by Trev-P; 02-12-2021, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X