Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Maybe ask if there are any bigger plots available or soon to be available and if not I'd take the small one on offer with a mind to transferring to a larger one as and when. Are there any other allotment sites in your area, you might have to join their waiting list but meanwhile you would at least have some space to be getting on with.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I would take it on.
    It will take a year or so to get it all into cultivation. You can always apply for another plot. later.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2535895
    Went for the viewing today, and in 2 minds about it TBH,

It isn't over grown with brambles or anything which is good and position was in the middle of the site so sun should be good but, it seems very small!, he couldnt give me the dimensions but I think it must be a !/4 plot.

it was probably 9m x 3m roughly, half of the site was covered in verbena bonariensis and the rest just small weeds with what looked like autumn raspberries in the corner, access to water wasnt to far or the communial shed, just cant help thinking its way to small to invest the effort.

I know this would be my first allotment and not even sure it would be right for me, but it I do get the bug will regret taking on such a small plot.I guess i need to chat with the allotment coordinator to see my options,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Trev-P; 03-11-2021, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    Hiya and welcome .Remember to take lots of photos ..its nice to see how far you have come..

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    Originally posted by Trev-P View Post
    ...No doubt I will be on here asking stupid questions so apologies in advance but looking forward to it,
    No question is stupid Trevor ... its the only way to learn. No matter what state it's in remember, it's not a sprint its a marathon ...all being well you'll be doing this for the next 30 or 40 years.

If it's really bad start by making a drink (YOu'll need some way to make a drink ... I've got a storm kettle its a bit like camping as you can cook a bacon butty while waiting for the water to boil ) and sit back and look ... what sort of weeds have you got? It its chest high then its probably good rich soil and if theyre nettles and docks then its probably acidic as well so you'll need to ad a bit of lime to it as well so 3 sips of tea(or coffee) and you've already started planning.

Are there any fruit bushes or trees? you may be lucky and have a some Raspberry canes or rhubarb on there - so thats your fruit area sorted.

Then to start.
    Is there a shed if not where are you going to put it? I suggest on the north side of your plot so it doesn't shade anything - you can provide shade using netting but you can't ptovide sun!
    If you can get hold of a strimmer/brushcutter then cut all the weeds down and rake it into a big pile at one end ... you've just made a compost heap. DON'T buy activator - nip into your shed and pee in a milk bottle and put that on it ... its free and full of nitrogen

if you can get hold of some manure ( some allotments have a friendly farmer who will drop a load for a few quid) get some and cover it over to keep in the goodness (You can get some cheap tarps off e-bay) then make another cup of tea ( you can't drink too much tea) and you can start. A patch about the size of a greenhouse (8ft x 6ft) is more than enough to dig over in a day as you want to get all the weed roots outand once its clean put a layer of muck on it and move on to the next patch if you do that once a week you will have you plot fully clear in no time. My old friend and tutor had two allotmens and he went up 3 times a week and he dug one row across the plot every time he visited and he could dig both plots in a couple of months with most of the work being done as he took things out and replanted.

keep doing this and you'll have it looking something like in no time but whaty you can do is get some of the black weed membrane and cover half of it to smother what weeds are in thereand if you want to brighten it up get some tubs from your local pound shop and put some winter pansies in it it will weigh down the membrane and look nice, come spring you can sow carrots in them and grow carrots, get some big pots and grow spuds and all the time the membrane is killing off the weeds.

You can grow your potatoes thru the plastic as well then when it comes to harvest just roll the matt back and get you r potatoes and teh ground is dug as if by magic.

Most importantly, enjoy it ... its supposed to be fun not a prison sentance with hard labour!

And make friends with the old boys up the site - they'll tell you what grows best on the site ( they will have tried them all over the years) and it supprising what you get. my first visit to my old plot I came away with a load of onion seedlings a boiling of beans and a cauliflower and it was waist high in weeds

Enjoy you tea and welcome to the 'vine

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    The perfect plot may never come up. You're likely to find some good things and some bad things. You'll have to weigh up pros and cons to come to a decision. Shade across a bit of the plot isn't an absolute deal-breaker in my view. Some people even deliberately create shade in summer so they can grow lettuce, as Martin H says.

Water is key, as Martin points out. Easy access when you need it, but no waterlogging during rainy spells.

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    You might even be lucky and have a choice of plots, with COVID gardeners packing it in to go back to their old ways?

I would take whatever is offered. It won't be all bad, if there are shady parts you can still grow like raspberries or salads.

The one thing I would check out before taking it is access to water. If you'll have to lug cans from dip tanks 50 yards away you might find that a bit wearing.
    Good luck and let us know how it went!

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    so I am guessing the number 1 rule with a plot is its access to the sun, so not stuck under tree's and other shade and then its aspect to that whether its north or south facing, its taken 2 years to get to this point of being offered a site If i turn it down would it bump me to the bottom of the list again?

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Hello and welcome, Trev. This next week will seem like a long time, I bet.

This is a great time to take over a plot. There are some things you could sow or plant now. But it also gives you plenty of time to get ready for spring. Much better than getting a plot in April and constantly playing catch-up.

Also, you might be in luck and already have some fruit trees, rhubarb, asparagus or other permanent plants or even a greenhouse, shed or compost bay or bin left by the previous tenant. When you visit, definitely take some photos or drawings and note down details of anything that's there, access to water, allotment site club or shop for joint seed and compost purchases, things like that.

As others have said, all questions are welcome here, no matter how stupid you think them. For sure they're not if you feel the need to ask them. I learn a lot I didn't even know I needed to learn till other people asked. So fire away.

I'm a half dig, half no-dig kind of gardener. But that's because of my weather conditions and the kind of mulch I can get here. I'm certainly expecting to dig less as I go on. Some of Charles Dowding's techniques have really worked for me. Putting down cardboard has not, as the climate and ground are too dry where I am. Hence the saying that all gardening is local.

Hope the visit goes well. Best wishes for lots of fun and a great time ahead of you.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Hi Trev, welcome to The Vine and congratulations on being offered an allotment.

Originally posted by Trev-P View Post
    This is probably a can of worms i am about to open but... whats your thoughs on the no dig method? watched charles dowding on youtube and thought he put a good case for it.
    Maybe take a good look at your plot before making firm decisions on which way to tackle it. The no-dig method works best if the surface is flat to start with otherwise any lumps of earth will break surface through the mulch before the end of the season. It also takes a lot of mulch to cover, especially when setting up and you might want to check beneath the surface for debris (lumps of concrete, bricks, carpet etc) before putting it down. That said, I'm convinced it's a better way to garden and care for the soil, and practice it across the whole of our 500 square metre allotment. Having spent a number of years digging the plot over, no-dig for me is now a no-brainer. We'll be going into our 7th year and still every year seems to get better and better.
    Good luck with it and keep us posted how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    Welcome to the forum.
    I got a plot a couple of years ago.
    My plot was covered in couch grass and mugwort.
    I built a giant raised bed out of blocks of local brick making clay and put all the weed roots in and emptied a latrine I made into it and covered the lot with horse manure. I got a good crop of winter squashes in a thin top layer of top soil. The weed roots got pickled.
    Have a look at what others are growing and ask where they get seeds from locally.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Hello welcome to the forum I hope the allotment visit goes well!

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Thanks for the welcome all,

This is probably a can of worms i am about to open but... whats your thoughs on the no dig method? watched charles dowding on youtube and thought he put a good case for it.

Leave a comment:

• Jay22
    replied
    Welcome to the Vine Trev,
    nice to meet you!

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Welcome aboard Trev!!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse