Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Fingers crossed for you Trev. At least starting the first one has cut your teeth so to speak (we've all been there )

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Good luck, Trev-P. Nice and slowly wins the race, whatever the size of your plot.

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Got a phone call from the council today, as you guys suggested I had left my name down if something bigger came up and it has

Sadly the previous owner has recently died and as I was only just allocated my plot they have given first look at it, apparently its 6 rods in size so over double my 2,5 now. Also hoping it wont be in to bad condition as having been clearing the other site has shown how unfit I am lol, but find out friday afternoon

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Congratulations getting your new plot,hope your ankles alright,have you got a notebook for making all your plans? Have a look at vertical growing to save space & companion planting to fit more in I grow a lot in a small garden,I think you’ll have plenty of space & you can mix crops in with other crops if they’re friends

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Welcome Trev.
    Sorry to hear about your ankle.
    Take thebefore and after pics, it's very encouraging to look back and see the improvements.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Trev congrats on getting your plot, once your ankles better take a few photo so you can track your progress.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Quite a bit bigger than you initially thought, that's good news. Sorry to hear about your ankle, though. Still, plenty of time to get the plot fighting fit. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Congratulations on getting your plot Trev, hope your ankle soon mends

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^^ good for you!….not good about your ankle though

Leave a comment:

• Trev-P
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    What did you decide, Trev-P?
    I took The Plot on! I started with digging out the dandylions and clearing the some of the verbena but just my luck slipped on the wet path and twisted my ankle so havent been back this week, I did get to measure the site and its 5 mtr x 12 mtr so a 1/4 plot, it is south facing so thinking beans the north end with matbe some potatoes and then as many beds as i can can get east/west across the plot and take it from there.It has got autumn ( I Think)Raspberries the south end of the site so thinkingi of adding some rhubarb with the space left far end,
    Last edited by Trev-P; 14-11-2021, 11:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    What did you decide, Trev-P?

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    Hi Trev-P, and welcome to the vine. I'd take the plot offered, as it seems to have a lot of good points - and those weeds don't sound too daunting, easily sorted unlike brambles and similar nasties.

I'd use your space to get a feel for what you enjoy growing, and more to the point, eating. Plus an idea of quantities you can use, store etc. These things aren't as obvious as they sound and only become clear when you do it.

If you feel you still wish a larger plot you'll have learned a lot by the time you move to it.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    Hello Trev-P and a belated welcome to the Vine, I see that you are new to veg growing, if so my advice would be that you take the plot and learn, some people new to gardening take on a big plot only to discover that it's too much for them and pack it in, you also mention no dig gardening, what I will say about that is that it's a good way to go if conditions are right, by that I mean, no trees or hedges nearby, trees/hedges and no dig gardening are not compatible, I use 2ft. high raised beds and have serious problems with roots from trees and hedges, but if you don't have that problem collect lots of cardboard and newspapers and cover your intended beds with that, you will of course require a growing medium to go on top of this, if you don't have that go the traditional way of digging over a bed, don't be too ambitious, keep the beds a
    reasonable size and you will reap the rewards that bit quicker. I wish you well in your gardening what ever way you go

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    I'd take it. It's very small, but maybe they have a policy of offering tiny plots to newbies on the grounds that lots of people give up. Something bigger might crop up on the same site, but I agree with others: get your name down on other sites too.

Don't bother putting any permanent plants in, just focus on things you can grow and eat this year so that it will still feel worthwhile. Grow tall things rather than spreaders to maximise your use of the space and plant shorter things underneath (undercropping). There's nothing like homegrown veg. You can still do plenty with 9 x 3. You just need careful planning. Which in my experience is a large part of the fun.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    I agree - take it on if there is no other chance of a larger one very soon.
    As Bones suggests- concentrate on relocatable things.
    Most things can be moved a bit at a time and if you do need to do that then you could always take on the larger second plot at the same time for a few weeks/months. You certainly won’t be the first person to move plots and the committee will understand especially if you mention it now.
    Maybe they don’t have larger plots because of demand? In which case you may want to put your name down at another site and crack on with this one for the time being. It’s all fantastic experience!

Do let us know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X