Finally have a garden! Woop!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally have a garden! Woop!

Hello, My name is Ellie and I'm in the West Midlands but a county famed for it's countryside!

After living in flats for 10 years, we moved to a house two years ago with a huge garden and a greenhouse! We've got big plans to grow as much food as possible and also wildflowers for the bees.

Since moving in, we've not had much chance to kick things off in the garden apart from planting an apple tree in memory of my nephew who was born sleeping and getting rid of the hedge which I was allergic to and replacing it with something I am not.

Looking forward to checking out this forum for some ideas and also help when we're not 100% sure on what we're doing!

Many Thanks!

EllieW

Welcome to the forum.
    You will have plenty of weed roots to go in the core of the loam heap you make with all that lawn turf you have to pull up.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hello Ellie welcome to the forum sounds like a great garden

Comment

And Hi there from me too - Welcome to the Vine

A full garden to play about with....how exciting!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi, EllieW and welcome to the site. If you're new to growing stuff, the growing guides (on the front page) are useful and there are a lot of really knowledgeable gardeners on here who are always happy to answer questions.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine EllieW
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Ellie, welcome to the Vine and congratulations on getting your garden
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Apart from taking time to enjoy your garden, my main bit of advice would be to plant some more fruit bushes and trees this Autumn. If they prove to be in the wrong place you can move them later, and any you do not like you can give to friends as presents. What you cannot do is get the lost years back if you miss out on planting time.

Happy gardening - Nick

Comment

Hello Ellie and welcome!

It's so exciting to have your first garden!
                  I am a no dig gardener and would highly recommend this way of growing, checkout Charles Dowding's website, it's fantastic!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                    Welcome to the forum.
                    You will have plenty of weed roots to go in the core of the loam heap you make with all that lawn turf you have to pull up.
                    We also got ourselves a compost bin for that very reason! If I remember right, we got in almost as soon as we moved in so should have some good compost by now (my Husband is in charge of the compost bin!)

Comment

When I took on my allotment I had an industrial quantity of weed roots and couch grass.
                      Starting in late 2019 I had a lot of clay bound grass roots so I built a large raised bed out of them with enough room inside to hide about half a dozed barrow loads of couch grass roots alone plus all the mugwort and dock.
                      I capped it off with a thick layer of steaming hot manure and added the contents of the shed latrine before adding top soil to plant squashes in.
                      I got a good crop.
                      This year I turfed out about three quarters of the now rotted roots and manure onto two beds leaving the clay blocks with now dead roots binding them together.
                      I planted the squashes before the last frost and put sheets of dual wall plastic over it like a big cloche for an early start. I am already harvesting summer squashes.
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X