Tropical fruit plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical fruit plants

Just registered today as I am looking forward to share experience and learn from members who share the same passion on tropical fruit trees. I am currently growing lychee (seeds/grafted), longan (seeds/grafted), star fruit, turmeric and calamansi in my apartment in London. I am hoping to move these to a big green house possibly next year.

KK

Welcome to the Vine!
    I haven't got much experience with tropicals, at least not recently. As a teenager I grew lychees, avocado, lemons and oranges from seed. But they never reached fruiting stage, and didn't survive me going off to uni and leaving them in my parents care.
    It'll be interesting to hear about your growing exploits - what rootstock did you use for grafting lychee?
    Last edited by MelanieSW; 23-07-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
      I often grow seed from shop bought fruits and have overwintered kiwi fruit and pomegranate outside.
      I have a fig tree that has been cut back by the frost several times but it is getting used to being outside. Avocados tend to get cut back to ground level each winter.
      The one I found most unlikely was a date that overwintered under a plastic bottle.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I grew some loquat trees from seeds I brought back with me from Portugal. Pretty easy to germinate, but obviously not going to fruit in the UK unless in a heated greenhouse.

Comment

Hello welcome to the vine,I’ve never tried to grow tropical fruit sounds good but also difficult in the winter? Do the plants all go dormant or do they expect to grow through the winter needing heat?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X