Almost a new allotmenteer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a new allotmenteer

Hi. I've recently taken up tenancy of an allotment but have yet to be given access. I've been badgering the allotment management company and getting no response. The invoices were very quick to come through and I paid them in full immediately. Since then it's been radio silence for a month and all emails and phone messages ignored. How do other people find allotment management? Is this a normal time to wait? The plot itself was vacant for a year despite a six-year waiting list. Any advice for dealing with this? I just want to get on my plot and get going.
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Vine
    Have heard some allotment management companies are difficult to deal with. Perhaps a visit and chat with the plot holders will help. Maybe there's a site rep who could mediate on your behalf.

Good luck with it, hope you get sorted soon
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

If its a popular site with allotmenteers on site frequently. there is nothing to stop you turning up with your receipt for payment and making a start on your designated plot?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm not surprised you're keen to get started, especially at this time of year.

How are you expecting to gain access? Is there anything to stop you doing what Snadger suggests, just turn up (with proof of payment in case it's requested) and get started?

Hello and welcome, by the way. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Hello elbmow and welcome to the vine

I'm a back garden grower so I don't know really know how allotments work but it doesn't sound very good if they're ignoring your emails I do like Snadgers suggestion thats if you know your plot number.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks guys - unfortunately (and fortunately), the plot is secured with a locked gate so I require the key (that I paid for) to gain access. It's in not the nicest part of South London so understandably people don't like leaving the gate unlocked and it's set away from the site itself. As I have to walk a mile and a half to get there, taking my chances each time is a bit of a pain. As you say, the time of year really makes it feel like every day without access is wasted. But I will keep persevering.

I've found another post from many years ago that mentions the management company and it seems I am not alone in finding them... lacking.

Comment

Where were you told you would pick up the main gate key?Is there no contact phone number? Do you have a contact name?

If you have a contact name wait until someone is entering the site and ask them to point you towards the contact because you have a plot with no main gate key. Show them proof of payment if necessary.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You have a contract with the management company and they aren't abiding by it by effectively denying you access. Time for a certified letter?

Comment

Just speaking for our allotment site (also south London), we have got a weekly slot where the gates are open for public access (Sun 10am-12pm in our case). During that time there is always someone from the committee around. There may be something similar in place for your site?
                  But such a long time without getting a key appears unusual, esp this time of the year.

Comment

We have just changed from getting keys cut to a "chain of padlocks" arrangement for access outside of gate open times.
                    We are out of town and I have not known anyone who has a plot in London for many years.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X