Hello everyone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hello all. I've been reading topics for a while and thought I'd dip my toe in. I was a bit hesitant as you all seem to have allotments or acres of garden (from the sound of it!), and I only have a small back garden.
    I'm in the middle of the Midlands, happily retired, and a garden potterer. Some days I garden, some days I don't. Mostly I grow flowers but veg wise I usually only grow runner beans and kale, as they give the most back for the space. Looking forward to learning much more from you wise folks.

Welcome to the Vine Red Poppy!
    One of the things I love about gardening is I can do it how I want, when I want and grow what I want, where I want! Big or small, veg or flowers or a little bit of everything. And no'one can tell me I can't. It's fab!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

HI welcome to the forum and it's new look,i lot of peeps only grow in small spaces,this vine is for everyone,even if you are just hoping to get something to grow in,it's also not just about growing fruit veg&flowers,it's virtual friends ext,enjoy.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hello and welcome, Red Poppy. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Hello welcome to the vine,hope everything’s growing alright over there,are you growing anything new this year?

Comment

I have a fairly big garden in the country and spend a lot of time in it, however I don't do much real work in it, mostly sitting around and pottering - in fact if anyone was to chart my useful work time they would assume I was looking after two window boxes I expect.

BTW you might want to consider adding some cut and come again lettuce, spring onions and radishes to your "veg to grow" list - all of these can be grown in containers and are much tastier fresh

Happy Gardening :-)

Comment

Hello Red Poppy and welcome to the vine
              I'm also a back garden grower that started out growing in pots/containers then we filled in a pond and removed some shrubs to give me some growing space. Even cleared some space behind a shed just enough to give me room to erect my bean frame its surprising what you can fit in a smaller sized garden.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thank you, everyone for such lovely welcomes.

Nickdub, I have a small row of lettuce growing, but spring onions and radishes are pretty much top of my bleugh! list. Don't like either. I love any other type of onion/leek though. just not raw. I've never tried cooking with spring onions, though, so perhaps I should give them a go. A lot of cheffy types on TV seem to cook with them.

You're right Bren, a lot can be fitted in a small space. I'm not very good at planning successional crops though. Not very good at planning at all when it comes to veg. I need to pay attention to when things need to be started to be ready x weeks later so things are ready to go in when others have finished. For example I sowed broad beans in March thinking they'd be finished by end of June and I could plant out runners in their place, but the BBs are only 6 inches high so will never be done by then.

Comment

Hiya and welcome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X