Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new!

Hi all!

Just wanted to say hi as I shall probably be asking for all sorts of advice in the near future...

I'm Zoe, late 20something in the Cotswolds.

I had never really grown much until a house move a couple of years ago involved a trip to IKEA and pouring over their hydroponic equipment with my fairly geeky other half- we have no garden but do have huge windows, and so the kit was bought and we spent a couple of months growing really tasty basil.

After a lot of determined googling about how to upscale this new found food production thing (And trying to avoid the unfair amount of press about drugs and hydroponics- it works well for other veg too!) we DIY'd a tub for a chilli plant and have been caring for an absolute beast of chilli for the past couple of years. We've also tried tomatoes this way to some success but recently I was told I couldn't keep buying plants, as we have no windowsills left.

In part this and in part out of growing frustration over how much plastic comes on shop bought food, and food miles, I applied for an allotment.
    I was astounded to be asked to look round several plots a couple of weeks later and have now had actual land to farm for about 3 weeks. This is a much bigger task than filling up my chili tank was.

So yes- I'll probably soon be after any help I can get as things have seemed almost too easy on the big plot clean thus far- only tragedy has been uncovering strawberries which has led critters to finding them too. We've shared a harvest of 2 whole berries for our time and effort to date. The mountain of rhubarb has made up for this!

Welcome to the vine

Comment

Hi Zoe and welcome
      You were lucky getting a plot so quickly. Some people have to wait years.
      Don't worry about asking questions, how matter how daft! We can give equally daft answers -although some will be sensible.

Comment

Welcome along and good luck with the plot.
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Hi Zoe welcome to the forum!!

Comment

Hello & welcome! Congratulations getting a plot with loads of space

Comment

Hi Zoe, Welcome and have fun with the new plot

Comment

Hi Zoe and welcome from a fellow allotmenteer
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hello and welcome!

No matter how small the number of strawberries, home-grown ones knock the spots off shop-bought ones...

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Zoe
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Zoe and welcome to the nuthouse! We're all friendly in here, though you will find that some of the seniors will bicker like children :P

Congratulations on your allotment! I'm also lucky enough to be able to pick and choose my plot, so... I have two! LOL You add interest for us all if you ask questions - we all learn from all questions asked And most of all, remember that you have your way of gardening, and don't have to heed ALL advice given!

Personally I follow the no-dig method advocated by Charles Dowding and I swear by it, but of course, others will not even consider veg growing without their trusty spade and fork

Good luck with it all! And don't get too stressed
                      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks all!
                        @bikermike- they were amazing. So sweet. I can see why the wildlife go crazy for them. It’s been quite rewarding to finally have my own strawberries, shortly before getting the plot I experimented with indoors ones. They weren’t keen on being hydroponicked and I resorted to one in soil, that got powdery mildew and gave up.
                        @Sariss- I’ve been reading up about no dig too, and it fits in with trying to be kinder to the environment and some of the reasons I’ve gone for the land. I’ve found that the gardening world is full of all sorts of at times, advice. Also I had no idea about added peat in compost and was really saddened by that, also went to a talk on food scarcity recently and learned about the marine dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico... it really is a minefield and it’s hard to know what to do that won’t hurt something in nature!

Comment

Hiya and welcome....looks like your doing you bit to help like we all are on here.

Comment

Hi Zoe. Welcome, and congratulations on your new allotment. Hope you enjoy it!

Paulie

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                              Hi Zoe and welcome to the nuthouse! We're all friendly in here, though you will find that some of the seniors will bicker like children :P

Congratulations on your allotment! I'm also lucky enough to be able to pick and choose my plot, so... I have two! LOL You add interest for us all if you ask questions - we all learn from all questions asked And most of all, remember that you have your way of gardening, and don't have to heed ALL advice given!

Personally I follow the no-dig method advocated by Charles Dowding and I swear by it, but of course, others will not even consider veg growing without their trusty spade and fork

Good luck with it all! And don't get too stressed

Who are you calling elderly - I resemble that remark.

And I also swear at the garden - so there

+ PS I never bicker, I merely state my opinion with great dignity -- so there +1

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X