Log Splitters...BB, BM??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Splitters...BB, BM??

Hmm, I was going to buy one But they're both electric,7 Ton Duocut Electric Log Splitter With Stand
    you have to be near the house for that. Any petrol alternatives...

The nephew of one of my customers has a petrol driven one. I think it is a 7 ton machine too.

Comment

Sorry, can't help as the link you put up is the one I bought. Well worth the money if you can get hold of or make up a long extension.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You will see them on Fleabay. More expensive than the electric ones though

Comment

OH's 50th birthday next month, I thought a log splitter would be a good idea (40th present was a chain saw - he wasn't amused as it wasn't bike!) but I'm not sure an electric one would work.

BM, the link was the one you posted a few months ago :d, also looked at ge model that BB bought.
          Thanks AP, I'll check out eb@yyhh. Just wondering if an electric one would work.....

Comment

Why do you think it wouldn't work ?
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Ours is electric...but we have a small 3kw generator we take with it to our Woodyard.

The only downfall of that is that we have to stop when it rains if we're doing it in the open field.

Because we sometimes get electricity cuts I feel very much more confident having the generator as a back up for our freezers and central heating too.

Out of interest...how heavy would a petrol woodsplitter be?
              I find the electrical one heavy enough to drag around.
              Just a thought.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Forgot to mention..ours is a vertical one which is supposed to be easier to handle because of the height( less stooping when loading and unloading)

This is the company we got ours from about 15 years ago, but they were good value, a good selection and very helpful.

http://www.ryetec.net/product.php?id_product=40

Might be worth giving them a ring to see if they can advise you?

Funny thing is that I bought ours for my OH's birthday...on the way home from a few days in Whitby!
                Last edited by Nicos; 11-03-2016, 10:43 PM.

Comment

How far is it from the nearest power outlet to the point of use Scarlet ?
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I don't know if this helps but I made up an extension with:

50 Metres of 3 Core Round Flex Cable (3183Y) MD 1.5mm2 x 50m -

attached to Hose cart

Comment

^^^^^^

We use a heavy duty ,reel outdoor extension lead which most builders use.
                      (You need to unreel it all so it doesn't heat up)
                      ..that's so the noise and fumes of the generator are further away.

As the others ask...where are you intending to use it?
                      You may need to transport it in a trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Funny thing is that I bought ours for my OH's birthday...on the way home from a few days in Whitby!
                        He got a chainsaw for his Birthday (I've always wanted a chainsaw but he won't let me use it)

Our wood store is about 20metres from the nearest electric point. So an extension lead would do the job. Just worry a bit about using extension leads...our trip switch seems to be very sensitive.
                        I think a log splitter would give us better fires and stop us wasting wood. At the moment I put on huge logs to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          our trip switch seems to be very sensitive.
                          Scarlet, by 'trip switch' do you mean an MCB which controls a particular circuit or the RCD that controls a/several curcuits (possibly complete the consumer unit)
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I haven't got a clue we have two electric meters (yes, I know bonkers!) there's a box next to that that has the "switch". When the switch trips the whole electric for those buildings goes off - everything, and it's a pain as that includes OH's office...lots of computer stuff that has to be turned off and restarted.

Comment

Splitters ?, all i have sorry

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X