Announcement

Collapse

ANNOUNCEMENT - THE GROW SHOW

On the hunt for your next buy? Check out the Tools & Kit area of The Grow Show for new products and offers. Don?t miss out! Click here.
See more
See less

Aldi Fruit Trees £3.99

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldi Fruit Trees £3.99

Hello,

I know that arpoet mentioned this in another thread, but thought it worth mentioning again. Aldi have a good selection of Fruit trees available at the moment @ £3.99 each.

They are 2yr old rootballed and 12 varieties. In our local they seemed of a good quality so I picked up a few which I now need to find homes for.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...p/fruit-trees/
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Yes, I can second that - aldi trees lookin goooood. Got a jonagold apple yesterday
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I grabbed a James Grieve apple on Thursday, and gave it a good (vicious) trim. Rather a delicate looking specimin, but hopefully we'll get it bulked up over the next couple of years

Comment

Would it be rude of me to solicit advice whilst we're on the subject?

I picked mine up over the weekend. I assume time is of the essence to get them in the ground? I tried to get some time today and got waylaid with work duties. I have them tucked in a sheltered corner outside, but they weather people are threatening me with lots of snow now!

What's to do?!

I also got Jonagold and James Grieve.

I was attracted by the dual purpose nature of James Grieve.
        Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM.
        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Stick 'em in a pot, but be sure to get them in the ground before they come out of dormancy .... or leave them in a pot like I do

Comment

I looked up the Pollination requirements for James Grieve and Jonagold, I'm no expert so please don't rely on my thoughts.

James Grieve
            Flowering group: 3
            Fertility: Partially self-fertile
            Pollinating others: Good

Jonagold
            Flowering group: 4
            Fertility: Self-sterile
            Pollinating others: Poor (Triploid)

Apple - James Grieve - tasting notes, identification, reviews
            Apple - Jonagold - tasting notes, identification, reviews

I read that as them being in adjacent pollination groups, so should have overlapping flowering times.

The James Grieve being partially self-fertile would benefit from another pollination partner (otherwise crops may be light, or only on alternate years), I doubt that Jonagold (being Triploid) will help. The fact that James Grieve is a good pollinator should be fine for pollinating Jonagold.

If Jonagold is planted on its own I think it will struggle to produce fruit.

A crab apple nearby, or another (non triploid) cultivated apple in same or adjacent flowering group would be ideal
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Before buying I checked pollination partners on the orange pippin website.

I also purchase a Gala apple which should help James Grieve.

Next door have a couple of apple trees and there are crab apples close by. Hopefully that will suffice - otherwise I will have to go and buy something else and that won't go down well with SWMBO.

I also got 2 plum and 2 pear and raspberry canes :/

This tool might help others:

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/p...spx?a=0&v=1085
              Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 11-02-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I had already got a Jonagold, which doesn't seem to want to produce blossom just yet and I think it'll be a while before the JG seems in the mood for flirting either However, they'll both still look nice in my garden till they're ready for fruity time.

There's always the axe collection and chimenea should they take too long about it ....

Comment

Hi, would any of Aldi,s fruit trees be ok in large containers?

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Ow big are your containers? I guess they would be fine for a time - I am no expert as you can glean from the above. I presume you will just limit the growth whilst it is restricted.

Comment

My JG apple has gone in a 30l container, and it'll be happy in there for a good while

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X