No announcement yet.

Battery-powered chainsaw

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so reporting back after trying my friend's Stihl 120.

Very light, easily handled, not too noisy, no big chips flying everywhere. Not at all intimidating. Went through 12-cm-diameter olive wood (classified here as a hard wood) brought down by snow in January last year. Surprisingly clean cut as well, if you're wanting to use one not just to cut up logs but for finer work. We didn't try bigger wood, but as most of our larger wood round here is youngish snow-felled pine, Mr Snoop thought it would be perfectly OK for most of the wood we need to deal with.

So we've ordered one with a spare battery. The man in the shop tried to deter us from buying the spare battery on the grounds we wouldn't need it, as you can do a lot with one, but Mr Snoop insisted. Unfortunately, it will take two weeks to arrive, but better that than never. Will let you know about how long the battery lasts when we get it.

Comment

I have a trusty petrol one and its always done what its been bought to do, many years ago I hired an electric wired chainsaw to chop down 6 Pine type decorative trees in my mums front garden all about 12ft high. At first it was doing the job quite well but as soon as the electric motor was under heavy resistance it started to struggle, I'm never sure about electric chainsaws and would always prefer a petrol one as they just seem to be good at the job they are designed to do, electric ones that are battery powered now that's a whole new ball game as you have to consider the motor torque output, battery life, battery power but I've never used one myself.

When considering any of them you have to still be mindful they are not toys or for the casual user, they are very dangerous in the wrong hands and could be fatal so use with caution and read the small print and safety leaflets as you will still get any kickbacks no matter what they are powered by.
      The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Agree with all your points, Muddy_Boots. We are careful not to use ours for jobs for which it is underpowered. But for our purposes, ours has proved to be a really good buy and gets used a fair amount, especially at this time of year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X