Smart gardening gadgets, devices, tools and apps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart gardening gadgets, devices, tools and apps

I’m a geek at heart and I really enjoy using technology (smart gadgets and devices in particular) to improve and simplify our lives.

I was wondering if any users here use any devices, gadgets, technology or even apps on their phones to help with their gardening.

All suggestions and comments welcome. I’m intrigued.
    Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

I have a max/min thermometer in my PT - quite interesting but not essential. Personally, even though I used to work as a computer programmer, I am anti gadgets and pro useful tools like knives, spades, wheelbarrows etc.

Comment

We use an excel type spreadsheet (Google doc stored on G-drive) with a schematic of the lotty beds. Each page is a different year and allows us to see which bed had what grown in it and even how many plants there was. Sounds a bit sad but it's proved really useful especially when accessed while on the allotment.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
        We use an excel type spreadsheet (Google doc stored on G-drive) with a schematic of the lotty beds. Each page is a different year and allows us to see which bed had what grown in it and even how many plants there was. Sounds a bit sad but it's proved really useful especially when accessed while on the allotment.
        Great use of technology there Mr B.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

I have an app that lets me draw a planting plan for my plot for each year. It works out spacing so I know how many seedlings of each plant I need to raise, and can refer to it when I’ve thrown out the seed packet and cannot remember planting distances.
          It is also less of a ‘talking point’ than my trusty old multicoloured paper and blutack version, which several friends have mistaken for toddler artwork....

Comment

I have a simple excel spreadsheet to record how many courgettes I get off each plant.
            silly really, because we all know which of our varieties have performed best (without a spreadsheet) don’t we!!
            and then we grow those again next year!

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
              I have a simple excel spreadsheet to record how many courgettes I get off each plant.
              silly really, because we all know which of our varieties have performed best (without a spreadsheet) don’t we!!
              and then we grow those again next year!
              I’ve resorted to the spreadsheet too. So much easier.

Comment

I use a pencil and a bit of paper................................always been a bit of a luddite..............................

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  I use a pencil and a bit of paper................................always been a bit of a luddite..............................
                  Each unto their own. What ever works for you. I love tech.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    I use a pencil and a bit of paper .........
                    Me too...but I'm probably more of a techie - I also use a ruler (and a rubber!)

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

who'se counting? I just eat them

Comment

The cheap thermometers that are not calibrated and give me varying temps all the time make me crazy. My greenhouse is in a cold area, so I need to know if the temp suddenly dips (usually not forecasted!). So I really want one of these: https://www.sensorpush.com/ £50 so, it will be on my Christmas wish list...

For anything else, paper (garden diary!), pencil, and eraser does it for me. My only other concession is MS To Do to make lists of seeds and plants I see that look cool (brain like sieve); helps at ordering time and plant fairs.

I use computers all day, and don't want them in the garden too. But I would make an exception for proper temp/humidity monitoring - with charts and history! Hits my nerd nerve.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X