Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Appraisal and Stocktake

How have you done this year?
    Have you done what you said you'd do last year (if you did).

I did get rid of most of the yellow raspberries and I haven't grown sweetcorn this year.
    Although it wasn't on last year's list, I haven't grow spuds either as they were a waste of space last year.
    For next year, I'm going to have to rethink the soft fruit as most of it has been nicked by pigeons. Maybe start another fruit bed where I can easily net it.
    I haven't sown any squashes (apart from Trombas) as some of last year's are still hanging around as I couldn't find a way of cooking them that appealed.

How are you doing so far?
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 23-06-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I didn't sow leeks like I said and used the space for more chard and lettuce.
      No broad beans either this year seeing as 2018's crop produce the equivalent of a tin of beans.
      Courgettes are doing well and the parsnips have healthy looking tops..
      I'm happy with my little plot
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 23-06-2019, 06:38 PM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        So have done lots of thinking and planning for next year. I enjoy that.

Growing again
        Peas (overwinter and spring this time
        Strawberries - refreshing some old plants
        Carrots - think I’ve cracked the variety for me
        Leeks - from plugs not seed
        Courgette - differentvtype but only one plant
        Tomatoes - but some outdoor as well as gh. Different varieties.
        Potatoes - 1 bed Instead of two
        Raspberries
        Rhubarb
        Salad - leaf and little gem
        Chillis - habaneros and maybe jalapeños
        Beetroot
        Basil

New next year
        Borlotti - for husband
        Celeriac - I like a challenge
        Garlic

Not next year
        Sweet potatoes
        Sweetcorn - although I do love it
        Peppers - too much work for little return
        Blackcurrants
        Jerusalem artichokes - unless amazing when.
        I try them

Herbs- will get rid of a mint and not grow any from seed apart from basil. See what survived over winter and maybe buy a few plants and stick them in the beds.

Phew. That’ll keep me busy.
        So mostly as I thought. Didn’t like the Jerusalem artichokes so didn’t grow again. Didn’t grow jalapeños as some vine people persuaded me to try and grow lots of mystery chillis. For next year am reluctantly thinking no basil from seed and maybe no carrots or garlic unless things change. Might also think about less strawberries. Have got a whole bed of them and so far had only one. They are full of fruit but are getting eaten by something despite netting.

Comment

Yes, mostly did what I said.
          Didnt grow peas, or corn.
          Did a few brocolli plants from seed but pulled them out as they were rubbish.
          Having a re think about my whole garden and thinking of going back to growing more flowers and just using the greenhouse for tomatoes.
          Its decision time for me as I have been talking of cutting back for the past few years.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I went with go big or go home approach
            The reason behind it hasn't come off, which I'm quite pleased about really the timing was wrong. ( now you're all confused )
            As we've gone back to something resembling a normal summer up here ( not like last years stunner ) some things aren't doing well. I'm having a really bad year with brassicas. cucurbits, onions and leeks aren't doing great either.
            Everything else seems to be doing ok. Chillies are doing well and that's all I care about. Everything else is just a very enjoyable added bonus

Comment

I didn't get rid of any raspberries, but the weather this year seems to have suited them as they're cropping well.
              Veg-wise I couldn't really say anything is doing particularly well. My summer cabbage have got yellow streaks through the leaves and something is eating them although they're slug pelleted and under netting *sigh* Onion/shallot tops got mildewed and it took about 3 sowings to get the climbing beans started, what with late frost/cold nights and slugs.
              Slugs have also had most of the squash I've planted, though the plants weren't growing strongly anyway, because of the weather.
              On second sowings of winter cabbage and swede, first lot did nothing, poor seed or bad compost? Who knows! Leeks finally look worth planting, after a few liquid feeds, so fingers crossed for them.

This has been one of those years when I ask myself if is it all worth the effort *sigh*

Comment

Snadger gave a like to a post of mine from September last year, which reminded me what I'd written. My veg patch this year is tiny in comparison with most years, but bigger than last year's when I grew nothing. So that's a start! It's only June, but I'm already thinking: there's always next year!

Comment

After my last post on this thread, I've been giving this some very serious thought.
                  I think I'm going to be growing less varieties of cabbage, squash, pumpkins, salad, melons.
                  No cauliflower.
                  More asparagus.
                  Think I'm also going to dedicate 2 tunnels to chillies.
                  Are you all sitting down?...........no more small / tiny chillies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X