Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you had fun VC.
    Nice selection
    I've actually heard of the variety of runners (Never seen them or grown them, but I've heard of them ). Not got a clue about any of the others.

Comment

I wish they had an event like that round here VC. You are such a lucky little duck.

p.s whats hill seaweed? Is it collected from underwater mountains or something.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I would love a seed swap like that round here but it is a bit of a toss up how much I would love to see VC in action.

The selection sounds great.

Comment

Do you mean you'd come to see me in action, whether or not it was a seed swap, NG?
          When I'm at these things I realise how much I've learnt from the Vine as there were people picking up seeds, about which they clearly knew nothing, and asking how they grew and I was able to bombard them with everything I knew (from the Vine) and didn't have to make it up, as I usually do.
          For example, a lady picked up a packet of Cumin seeds, and, on the back of the packet,
          was a photo of comfrey (advert actually). She didn't know which seeds were in there so i suggested sniffing the seeds. Instant recognition. then she told me how they'd been to India and had brought back some organic seeds for cooking. "Grow them" says I, with all the confidence in the world................then she asked me how tall they grew..................and I had to admit to not having a clue.
          There were some amazing plants from pips on offer, that had been grown by an Italian student who had gone back to Italy, leaving his plants behind. Avocados and several different citrus. I was tempted, but carrying them to the car would have been difficult and I knew, if he could grow them, I could too (one day!).

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
            I wish they had an event like that round here VC. You are such a lucky little duck.

p.s whats hill seaweed? Is it collected from underwater mountains or something.
            A look on goggle,it grows around the salt places overseas,the pics look like samfire ????? that grows around our cost in places,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Happy to share any of these tomato seeds with the regulars here.
              As far as I can tell, they're all indeterminate/cordon and I'm not going to have room to grow them all.
              Nice haul, and it's good to hear about successful events like this. I'm involved in running one locally, but not as large scale as the Cardiff one.

I'd be interested in some of the De Berao and Burbank Bush, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                I wish they had an event like that round here VC.
                Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                I would love a seed swap like that round here
                There might be lots of other people in your area feeling the same way, just waiting for somebody to take the initiative?

The one I help run is fairly small, but successful and we cover our basic costs from the donations on the day from people who don't bring anything to swap. Happy to help anyone with suggestions and experience if you think it's something you might be able to do locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                  There might be lots of other people in your area feeling the same way, just waiting for somebody to take the initiative?

The one I help run is fairly small, but successful and we cover our basic costs from the donations on the day from people who don't bring anything to swap. Happy to help anyone with suggestions and experience if you think it's something you might be able to do locally.
                  Thanks. I shan't go into how events tend to go down where I live, but there is someone near by that is trying to find interest and support for a seed swap. I have let them know I would help so fingers crossed, but I shan't hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                    Nice haul, and it's good to hear about successful events like this. I'm involved in running one locally, but not as large scale as the Cardiff one.
                    Its not large scale at all! Its organised by one of the local allotment associations who have a community garden at Chapter Art Centre, (an old school) - this is where the swap takes place. There are only a handful of "stalls" - 6. A beekeeper who has community hives at Chapter, a man who sharpens your tools, a RSPB lady who sells donated plants, the local permaculture teacher, someone making clay pots and seed bombs with kids and the seed table.
                    Could take place anywhere - village hall, school, church, back yard.
                    Seeds are swapped, if no swaps they can be bought - 4 for a £, I think. There were a few HSL seeds and I probably bought half of them. £1 each.

Chris, PM me your address please.

Comment

When I'm at these things I realise how much I've learnt from the Vine as there were people picking up seeds, about which they clearly knew nothing, and asking how they grew.
                      That's my experience, too

Its not large scale at all! Its organised by one of the local allotment associations who have a community garden at Chapter Art Centre, (an old school) - this is where the swap takes place. There are only a handful of "stalls" - 6. A beekeeper who has community hives at Chapter, a man who sharpens your tools, a RSPB lady who sells donated plants, the local permaculture teacher, someone making clay pots and seed bombs with kids and the seed table.
                      Could take place anywhere - village hall, school, church, back yard.
                      Seeds are swapped, if no swaps they can be bought - 4 for a £, I think. There were a few HSL seeds and I probably bought half of them. £1 each.

Chris, PM me your address please.
                      Yours might not be large scale, but I still think ours is smaller

But there are some good ideas there for inviting other people to share the event and have a 'stall' i.e. table space with us. And thanks, pm sent.

Comment

Is this yours, Chris? Event: Plant and Seed swap

Comment

Is this yours, Chris? Event: Plant and Seed swap
                          That's the NOGs one on the other side of Nottingham. I've been to it some years.

The one I've been involved with is here: https://greeninginbeeston.weebly.com/events.html

Comment

Two swaps in Nottingham.
                            You're spoiled for choice, Chris.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X