Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Forum

Hi all,

I'm Hannah I work on the development team over here at the Grow Your Own headquarters. I just wanted to let everyone know what has been happening with the forum recently.

Last year when Chris (our lead developer) started development on the new forum/website we run into an issue with the software that's run on the box.

When the server crashed it was a progressive failure so we didn't see the affects of the failure for days (potentially weeks) this was completely out of our control and there's no way to check when it started. Because we didn't see the effects of the failure, errors were copied over onto our backups (which are stored on a completely different server).

The Sunday that the server crashed everything had to be rebuilt from the ground up and I believe there was around 6/7 hours downtime before being brought back online. Since then we have lost files (images primarily) but the way the server failed it's difficult to isolate a pattern. We've tried and tried to get the images back online because the last thing we want is to cause disruption. We have been looking into potential solutions for quite some time now and have been met with a brick wall at every turn.

There's one final attempt we are looking into and will be trying over the coming weeks. If this fails unfortunately we've lost the files.

This was a situation completely out of our control and there's very little we can do to prevent this. Failures are uncommon but they do happen, usually the backup is enough to protect us, but because it was a silent failure over time it's copied onto the backups. Chris and Dave have had numerous conversation with engineers and tried to put in place further protections.

Unfortunately this not the kind of news anyone wanted to here.

We will keep the everyone updated with how the situation evolves.
    Hannah
    👩

Good news or bad doesn't matter Hannah, the fact that you have addressed the forum is appreciated.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thank you Hannah for letting us know
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thank you for giving us some idea of what happened and what is going on now behind the scenes.

Comment

Thank you. No one likes saying or hearing that it has got to the poopy stage but it happens. Thank you again for being honest and letting us know all that has happened it is appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the update Hannah....everything crossed for the final attempt at retrieving the piccies
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for letting everyone know what's happening

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

everything crossed for your team,now ti's spring lets hope they spring back
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks for posting an update Hannah.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Really appreciate the warts n' all update Hannah, thank you.
                    And thanks too to the team working behind the scenes to try and recover the images.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

First thanks to all you 'in the back ground people' for trying to sort it out for us.

If it proves impossible, well spring is round the corner, so its camera times peeps.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We appreciate the update Hannah...any news on the recent difficulties in uploading photos?
                        Last edited by Tripmeup; 20-03-2017, 11:17 PM.
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Hannah and thank you also to everyone who works on our behalf to make this the forum it is. Even with lost photos etc, for me this is still the best forum on the net.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for all your efforts and best of luck.

Comment

Thanks the update Hanna, looks like periodic archives as well as a rolling backup is in order to protect you from this in future. I love hindsight is always such an exact science.
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 21-03-2017, 07:36 PM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X