X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody else have...............

Days like this?

Let me tell you a story..............

OH found a frog. No idea where it came from but it was bone dry but still alive.

So, I had half a MFB with soil in so I soaked the soil, laid it on it's side a put it into our teeny wildlife corner.

Said frog was placed in the soaked soil under shade.

So far so good..................I made a mistake and mentioned the immortal words 'wildlife pond'

OH had now emptyied out an 18in deep large plastic storage box that was living under the bed full of valuable collectables (O.K junk) and is the process of digging a hole deep enough to sink half of it in.

He has found a plastic coated U frame and some rust proof wire to create a ladder for...................the piggin hedgehogs. A family of 3 live next door but one in a hogitat.

They have been in the garden as OH cut a hog hole into the corner of the fence to let them in.

So there he is digging away on his hands and knees (the pond is going under the pom pom tree where nothing else grows) singing 'Frog on the Tyne' (Lindisfarne would be horrified).

Apparently, we are off to but some weedy stuff tomorrow and I have been told that said pond will need refreshing regularly even thought it is always in the shade.

So, who else has launched themselves into a new project because of a small incident happening.
    Last edited by Lumpy; 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

At least he's happy, and any potential frog residents are
    Some years ago my hubby started with a washing up bowl ...
    Nannys make memories

Comment

Suggest a shallower Underbed Box that places sell. Means less digging and also less material in it so hedge hogs can get out. The ones I have are about 8-10 inches deep, 18 just seems a bit much. I would fill one end with rock of some sort.

Will need water adding to them especially when hot. Might seriously be worth looking at a water garden place for a tough box type thing. Often a bit bigger and cost more but I suspect more applicable.

Comment

My dad is like that. I had dibs on some plastic sheeting from the allotment so I thought to myself that it would be suitable for my dad to use as a greenhouse. He has a plastic blow away one and my idea was that he could build the sheets around the frame and make it more sturdy. Hopefully it means he wont loose any plants again. In fact it shouldn't cost much to drill and bolt the sheets to the frame. Cheap and cheerful on a budget.
        Oh no my dad had other ideas. He has made about 3 cold frames. He went out and bought some wood, some flat washers and some screws because he didn't have the right sort.
        So its my fault my mom has decided that my dad has spent money that he didn't need to, she now has 3 large cold frames in her back yard and because he is on special medication he nicked his finger and they couldn't stop it bleeding.
        sigpic

Comment

Great oaks from little acorns grow
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Good on your OH.

I spotted a frog the other day, lounging in the mud where one of our water barrels had tipped over. Sadly, he disappeared into a load of thick long grass. Hope he manages to survive. There's a spring with a pool a few hundred metres from us, but it's a long way as the frog hops.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X