No announcement yet.

Homemade Laundry Soap: result & cost!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed Zaz's link to the Ventnor whatsit, made that blogger's recipe up, then added baking soda because you added it to yours. It's completely clear with a thick foamy white head - I just shake the bottle before I use it. It goes milky then.

VC I 'flavoured' it with a scented oil fragrance from here rather euphemistically called Mountain Air. I bought it years ago, it still smells fresh.
    Last edited by julesapple; 29-01-2013, 07:07 PM.
    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

So, you mixed two recipes? Why?

All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Just because I had the A&H baking soda. Really works though! Zaz's recipe link had neither borax or soda.

I've read loads of recipes and they are all different combos of borax sub/soda/grated soap/liquid soap, with possible additions of citric acid, enzymes, and a few other bits.
        Jules

Comment

I'm wondering whether to use some of the manky old bubble bath stuff that is lurking in the cupboard and just adding soda crystals - since I have those Its too wet to wash at the mo though

Comment

I don't whether that would work or not. It might make a lot of foam as bubble bath has added chemicals formulated to make lots of bubbles. Might not rinse too well either, possibly?

I had little faith in this homemade stuff, but if'n it can clean teen socks then it's fabulous!
            Jules

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              I'm wondering whether to use some of the manky old bubble bath stuff that is lurking in the cupboard and just adding soda crystals - since I have those Its too wet to wash at the mo though
              Today in Wales a small,pink woman (locally known as the veggiechicken lady) was found to be floating up the road on a sea of bubbles.... Local villagers thought they heard her shout "Don't put bubble bath in the washer....." but nobody could be quite sure as to what she meant, "it's getting dark now, but we're still on the lookout to see if she floats back, and we're still mopping up the bl**dy bubble"s a spokesman said....
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

You know me too well Ancee! I have an image of bubbles oozing out of every washing machine orifice, filling the room, pushing their way out of windows and under doors and sweeping me and the dogs along with them Maybe its not a good idea then
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 29-01-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Was thinking of making my own laundry detergent using a non borax recipe. Came across this thread and wondered how everyone is getting along with their recipes, and if anyone can offer any tips?

Comment

We used it for many months, I think I tried four different 'recipes' They were all effective, until I used a hard bar soap from Ikea - despite being grated into a powder almost, it didn't dissolve in the wash at anything less than 50c. It meant re-washing everything to get the soap out, for which I bought laundry pods on special offer........we didn't go back to home made after that. I do still have the troublesome detergent powder - I was contemplating melting it into a liquid detergent at some point so as not to waste it.

I didn't use a Borax free recipe at any point. I did use Borax sub but it's not as good as genuine Borax.
                    Jules

Comment

Makes you wonder what was in that ikea soap.

Comment

I'm on my last 2lt bottle of homemade liquid laundry detergent. I used the Borax substitute but have bought Borax for my next batch.

I haven't bought the shop stuff for months and months and love this homemade stuff. It cost me about £1.50 to make 22lts...WIN!
                        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Makes you wonder what was in that ikea soap.
                          Have been reading a lot about this as of late. SLS - in shampoos, etc. Evil. It's even in toothpaste! It's no wonder modern population is dying off from so many diseases.

Comment

Why are these ruddy poisons legal ffs!?

I still haven't made any more, just haven't got round to it but will continue with my recipe as posted at the start of the thread, when I get a chance to make some more.

Still can't understand the Borax/substitute issue - why use either?
                            Last edited by Glutton4...; 24-09-2013, 09:17 AM.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks for replies to my last post. I decided to give home made detergent a go but am using a powdered version rather than liquid using borax substitute/soda crystals/grated soap.

It is certainly very cheap and easy to prepare. Hope it works and that the clothes stay clean and bright. I'll see how it goes and hopefully report back.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X