Can you hear the voices?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you hear the voices?

Today I was looking at the membership numbers and noticing that there are now 374 Grapes on the vine, I began to run through in my mind's eye, all the grapes that I am slowly getting to know.
    This prompted me to start thinking along the lines of ...I wonder if they sound the way I think they do?
    Just like listening to the radio you start to visualise the person speaking. I think that reading the words others have written start to take on voices of their own.
    On Radio 2, I often get to hear the Drivetime show with Johnny Walker and Sally "Traffic" Bowsmen. I had never seen photographs of either so all I had to go by was their voice and the sense stress and modulation they used when chatting away.
    When I did get to see photographs of them both a few years ago in a Radio Times article I was a little shocked to see that their real resemblance was nothing like I pictured them to be. Sally Traffic was the biggest shock. I had pictured her with shoulder length wavy brown curls. What a shock it was to see her with short straight blond hair and wearing a red leather jacket.
    Going back to the "vine". Do you hear voices and regional accents when you read posts from others?
    I know there are a lot of grapes that haven't posted anything as yet and they are still a "mystery voice" still to be guessed at. I know that as the seasons go on, something will grab their attention and prompt them to post.
    Perhaps they have a question they want answered, or maybe they have some sage advice that will help others? What ever it may be I look forward to hearing their voices in my mind as I read the thoughts they have taken the time to write.
    But the question remains. Am I the only one who hears voices or Can you hear the voices too?
    Jax

Lock up time I think Jaxom
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Good one! No voices ....faces,expressions,clothes and a location -room;garden;allotment or pub! Bit hard when you have to guess their age and gender though. Good bunch of people out there with a lot to offer! Enough to put a smile on your face. Can we all be locked up at the same place so we can continue our conversations? Preferably one with extensive grounds! Oh dear.
        Last edited by Nicos; 10-02-2006, 11:00 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Jaxom while you wait for the men in white coats to arrive tell me what do I look like and sound like? Don't you dare say Hilda Ogden!!
          [

Comment

Seance

Everyone join hands around the veg patch....is there anybody there? Is there anybody there? I can hear the blackcurrants, they are saying 'potash, potash give us more bloody potash'. Does anyone know potash?

Andrewo
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

But your honour, I'm sane I tell you, sane ! It was the Grapes - they talk to me you know, all night every night! It's the Grapes - they tell me what to do.!!!
              If that's the case for the Defence, you're in deep manure!!!
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Its not the voices - its the names!!! Can't possibly say how I picture some of you given the names some of you have!! Great folk, beavering away - until I heard about the voices - now I'm not too sure .....
                Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM.
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Okay then, let's stick my head in the line of fire here... I don't here voices (though I'm guessing a cardiff accent for you Jaxom if you're a native!!) but I do visualise people, whether I intend to or not.

Mind you, I do it in work over the phone and can get a big shock when I meet people for the first time! (Even more embarassing when someone I don't recognise says hi, and just presumes I remember meeting them 4 years ago in passing! Oops...)

I suppose a login name can be misleading though... is mine plucked from thin air, or a feature like hair length, height, eyesight (!)..... hmmmmm
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

If you want to know what a genuine Cardiff Accent sounds like, then listen to Charlotte Church or Colin Jackson speak. Although I am Welsh born and bred most people think I am English, which is rather ironic as I am the first generation in my family not to speak Welsh as my mother tongue.
                    Jax (Who lives on the Taff but does not sound like one.)

Comment

It's hard to tell Charlotte Churches accent as the words are Slurred

When I read the posts you all sound like me ! Very Scary
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Agreed ntg, which is worrying as I guesss some of you are guys and I'm not...! Though you're name brings to mind someone quite cheeky??

Jax, that's quite unusual if you've always lived in Wales to not have an accent. My OH is Welsh but his parent's moved to London when he was 7. He's not got a trace of accent himself but that stands to reason. Caaaaeeeeriff has a pretty distinctive accent too...
                        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Accents......dont believe in them myself
                          Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

wiyay geordielad

(I think thats how it's pronounced in Warwickshire anyway )
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X