Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other Hobbies ?

Hi All,
    Apart from the obvious hobby of gardening do you have any others ? Mine are Crosswords/Aviation Art/Aviation/Reading/Listening to genres of music Jazz/Country/Classical etc. etc. but mainly Heavy Metal-Classic Rock. I think my thumbnail gives away my favourite band the mighty QUO but the FF version I can listen to the other eras of Quo but definitely prefer the FF era a heavier sound and not the later sounding poprock that they became in the 80's although they have shown faint signs of they're former playing style.

Well over to you lot what do you do for another hobby ?

Geoff.

Not much time for hobbies tbh as we are renovating a C17th french longhouse.Unless that counts as an expensive hobby?
    Last year we converted a people carrier into a camper van.
    I really enjoy reading and also researching my family trees during winter months.
    Exploring prehistoric sites and eating also fall into my list of hobbies as is modding on here!

Last edited by Nicos; 01-08-2022, 08:47 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi All,
      Nicos - You sure do have expensive hobbies but the satisfaction you will get when you achieve your goal of completion is what it is all about.

At the end of the day it's all about what you like doing to keep the outside world at bay, at least for a period of time until it's time to get back to reality. Anyway all good stuff for your health I am sure....

Geoff.
      Last edited by 1batfastard; 03-08-2022, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Apart from gardening(no garden or allotment at the moment) I like to knit, sew and read. I've also started to teach myself on how to cross stitch.
        Carrie

Comment

Photography, Fishing and Amateur Radio ... in no particular order
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Family Tree research, reading, oh and and using my metal detector which was given to me for my birthday are my main hobbies at the moment.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi All,
              cariann88 - Do you cross stich different kinds of pictures or just anything that takes your fancy and what type of books do you read regularly ?

nick the grief - Yep! Fishing I love well I did until I become agoraphobic after an injury sustained at work, long story short I have not fished for about 20+ years but I loved it no record but just loved the peace and quiet along with the wildlife no matter where I went, also a little bit of photography no expert just a point and shoot Canon EOS 500/AF 500 a Dixons special outfit..

Jay22 - Only ever touched the Family tree subject slightly, bought my father a book so he could trace our family never heard anything after that but I did visit Dublin and tried to see where the family came from locally but just not enough time during a spur of the moment decision, have always pondered a metal detector but never took the next step beyond that.

At the end of the day if you like what you do then do it and ignore what anybody else thinks......

Geoff.
              Last edited by Mr Bones; 04-09-2022, 09:12 AM. Reason: edit choice of wording

Comment

Originally posted by 1batfastard View Post
                Hi All,
                nick the grief - Yep! Fishing I love well I did until I become agoraphobic after an injury sustained at work, long story short I have not fished for about 20+ years but I loved it no record but just loved the peace and quiet along with the wildlife no matter where I went, also a little bit of photography no expert just a point and shoot Canon EOS 500/AF 500 a Dixons special outfit..
                I did the same Geoff, I packed up and sold all my fishing gear over 30 years ago. But 3 years ago I took early retirement and got some gear again. You should give it a go ( easier said than done for you I know) but once you get out there and start concentrating everything else is pushed out of your mind I find.

I started with a point and shoot camera and progressed to a DSLR and a bag full of lenses but eventually found I wasn't enjoying it as much so I moved from birds to dragonflies and butterflies and I used to carry a point anf shoot camera in my laptop bag for work and got some great photo's on that. now I tend to use my iPhone as the camer is so good on them and its always with me... again if it gives you pleasure and gets you out side then its done the job.

it took me 40 years to realise whats important in life so now I take every day as a bonus ... I woke up right!

ALl the best bud
                ntg

Comment

Hi All,
                  NTG - I have been pondering about a DSLR and to start snapping bits and bobs in the garden, also whether or not to get a cheap trail camera to see if anything actually does visit other than some nice neighbours cat adding his personal manure :O)

I know it's probably a bit advanced for me not to mention probably way to expensive, but the Nikon P1000 seems to be a good camera. It would take excellent shots of the Sky above especially the moon from the Youtube videos I have watched. Although in all honesty I will probably start with a cheap middle of the road camera then when I know what I want/Have experience I'll move on.

At the moment I have a ringside seat for when Beetlejuice shows it has blown it's top and even when walking Alfie at 2 a.m. some darker roads make it stand out a lot better should be rather spectacular so long as the boffins are correct and that there will be no residual effects with us lot watching :-)

I am not into all that iphone stuff, I prefer the old land line myself. I just think that the mobile is good for a lot of things especially emergencies, but people get suckered into this that and the other when they really just don't need whatever or use it the majority of the time it's just an app that sit's there and you pay for that privilege and whatever company get's rich. :-(

Oh! by the way like your motto at the bottom of your reply. I think of the poem Footprints also known as Footsteps In The Sand, I read that and realised it is true and makes perfect sense, well when I applied it to my life it did but it could so easily apply to anybody's life, still it makes me feel good.

Geoff.
                  Last edited by 1batfastard; 26-09-2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hobbies/sport for me are an interesting lot.

Sport: I play Flat Green Bowls in Leicestershire, play for two clubs and I'm the Secretary of one of them atm. Got to the County singles finals this year but was beaten in the Semi by one shot, was very annoyed at losing 21-20 which peed me off as I got to 11-0 before he started scoring. I'm badged for Leicestershire and Derbyshire and I've been to the National finals four times, some say I'm a decent player.

I'm also a runner, not a member of a running club atm but my old first club I was a member of want me back. I've run the London Marathon 6 times with my best time of 3hrs 23mins plus a few other marathons under my belt as well such as Abingdon, New Forest and White Peak marathons. Best Half Marathon time was 1hr 25mins, 10k was 39mins 40secs and one year I ran the London Marathon I also ran 17 x Half Marathons and 2 x 20 mile races.

Hobbies: Gardening (obviously), fly drones (racing and camera) I am registered with the CAA and have a Operator ID and a Flyer ID. The camera drone has a 4k camera attached so it can take photo and film in HD, the racing drones can reach speeds of 60mph and I use FPV goggles to fly them. Also fly model planes and Helicopters as well. I paint in oils, acrylics, water colours, collect old postcards and have a huge collection of victorian ones.

That's all for now, have some other hobbies but those are the main ones.
                    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Can't help you with Nikons Geoff ... I'm a canon man Watching Beetlejuice is OK ... Just don't mention his name 3 times

General DLSR advice, DOn't get one too low in spec, you'll soon pick it up if you practice - its not like film so you can soot 100's of shots and if theyre no good just delete them and start again so you'll soon pick it up (pardon the phrase) and outgrow a beginners camera and so it would cost you more in the long run.

Also, buy the best lenses you can afford they'll give you better results especially as you get better. I just use 3 lenses now 16 - 24mm , 28 - 104mm and a 100 - 400mm, although I do have a 180mm Macro for insects (Butterflies and dragonflies - you don't cast a shadow over them) and thats enough to hump around

I had an iphone for work for years and I got so used to it I got one myself but tbf I like Apple anyway and have an iMac mainly for doing my photographs on so it works well. and now the kids have iphones (and my wife) it makes things so easy for us all.

The motto I can't remember where I saw it first but its been on there since I first joined the vine 16 years ago and I've never thought of one better yet

nick
                      ntg

Comment

Walking the Chiltern foothills with my two Smooth Collies. They take up alot of my time - we go out for 2 hours or more in the morning, and an hour in the late afternoon.
                        Reading - I belong to a book club and we meet monthly.
                        French - french conversation group for a monthly chat.
                        Domestic goddess aka slave the rest of the time.

Comment

Morning all.

Muddy Roots, impressive performance in impressive hobbies. You put me to shame...

My main winter hobby - bread baking - is starting to take over, now the garden is pretty much self-sustaining or in abeyance. I really do need to find something else that is more compatible with losing weight! I enjoy cooking in general, but baking is my main thing.

Comment

After yesterday’s cycle ride it looks like I’ll be cycling more over the winter.
                            We followed an old converted train route so it was lovely and flat. It’s ridiculously hilly where I live so that was sort of putting me off. No excuses now!

My book club folded during Covid and the members are reluctant to continue with it now due to a few ‘at high risk’ ailments.
                            Pity really as I enjoyed that very much.

I forgot to say that my main winter hobby is researching my family tree. I’ve been doing it for about 20 years now and have loads of information. New stuff is coming online all the time.
                            Had I staying in England I would have offered to transcribe local church records for free access to anyone interested.
                            maybe I should start pulling all my info together instead of each tree info roughly bundled together!
                            Last edited by Nicos; 07-10-2022, 08:48 AM.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi All,
                              NTG - Not afraid of taking advice the Nikon fantasy was basically brought on by a mention on a Youtube video then decided to look at others that reviewed the camera and then looked at the prices, picked my mouth back up off the floor and popped my eyes back in at the slightly expensive but good camera, but like you suggested no skimping.

I am always open to any suggestions with Cannon, I watch ( https://www.youtube.com/user/proguide66?app=desktop ) hosted by Steve Isdahl a channel about Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Yabe whatever you like to call these very large manlike creatures that have been reported around the globe. He is a game harvester (Not for sports) and hosts stories/experiences from whoever contacts him, anyway the point is he uses one of the Cannons when filming of his reading out of people's experiences, along with filming wildlife and the results I think are good IMPO so let fly with what Cannon camera you use please.

MB - Wow you are very active matey and well done on all your achievements, you mention RC Aircraft have you ever come across Chris Goulds? He was/Is an aviation artist but then concentrated in the RC world many moons ago but you very rarely here from him now.

MrsB - Looks like I'll have to up my game with my Alfie as I thought I was doing well at an hour each day, do you do the walking an hour each way? or just keep meandering until you have had enough? I bet you have some lovely walking down your way though eh?

Myself I tend to do a circuit alternating the routes so Alfie doesn't get to board but at 2a.m. it's peaceful enough until some clown who thinks he's Lewis Hamilton blats along. Sadly the walks are starting to get more urbanized as the town spreads out more and newbuilds of houses are swallowing the local area, soon there will be no greenery between a tiny local village and the rest of the town (1 mile approx.) as the farms are being sold off.

A French speaking,Well read, Domestic goddess/Slave well then stop mucking around and get back to your chores quick snap!!!!

SP - Nothing wrong with liking food, it is just how much of the stuff you cram between your teeth along with if you keep telling yourself like me just a little more, I'll make up for it next time then doing exactly the same again that next mealtime. Self-control is the key to not just food but most things just adopt a dog from a local shelter or find a dog sitting agency walking helps out I have found that out admittedly probably to late for me but well worth it if you have the inclination.

If you like baking bread so much why not donate some to a local food bank, I am sure they would welcome the bread?

Nicos - I admire your determination with both the Bike riding but especially the family tree, why not write a book about your experiences researching your family or even a guide to how others can do the same? I tried it once I thought I would rock up to the Dublin records office and it would be straight forward it wasn't!

It's a shame that your book club stopped because of the covid, but why don't you start one yourself? Maybe for those who are worried about health issues what about on-line or zooming (Is that what it's called?)

Great to hear everybody chiming in many thanks.

Geoff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X