No announcement yet.

New Year intentions ( not resolutions)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year intentions ( not resolutions)

So…any New Year plans both personally and gardening- wise?

I’m going to admit I shall restart the ‘ Big Diet’ again as from Monday. It’s do-able and I have a lot of support from friends and family.
    The aim is to lose a certain amount of weight then hold it for several months until it becomes my ‘norm’
    I’ve done it before, and I can do it again.

Gardening - wise…mulching. I keep promising myself I’ll do more of this but only played at it over the past 2 years. This will be the year!

So …anyone else got ‘plans’?
    You don’t have to stick to them…but it’s always good to try and make a few life changes …
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

My main one is to lose weight. Like you Nicos I have done it before so know I can do it again. Just need my head in the right place and I'm off.
    Gardening wise 4 main things for this year:
    I want to get to grips with successional sowing, I never do it, it's always feast or famine!
    Set up a big compost area.
    Sort out the courtyard area.
    Sort out and redo my private garden.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Ditto on the diet.

Also, got world domination in mind. Well, not the whole world but a slice of the valley that I'm hoping to bring back into fruit and veg production.

Also also, work less.

Comment

I'm starting small...sowing my tomatoes at a sensible time. Not so early that I'm left nursing sad plants that desperately need planting in out in the greenhouse, but it's still too cold. Trouble is, every year I'm just desperate to get them going.

But! This will be the year!
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Just a little heads up for support…..how are everyone’s ‘intentions’ coming along?
          Not done anything in the garden mulch-wise but diet -wise my ‘intentions’ are doing ok.

Feel free to add to this thread at any time peeps if you suddenly decide ‘This is the Year!’
          Last edited by Nicos; 08-01-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely with Babru on the "not sow too early" plan, but I must also try to remember then not to leave seeds too late either, particularly flower seeds that should be sown towards the end of March that I fondly think, oh, plenty of time - then rediscover in May

I also intend to continue my exercise plan - 25 minutes a day, plus a good walk - and my change of eating habits so my weight keeps going gradually down. I'm not saying "diet" because that implies something that is temporary and can be picked up for a while and then dropped again. I mean to make it a forever change.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Doing OK foodwise at the moment. Mr Snoop really determined, which is helping me along. There's a very long way to go, though. You've got the right attitude, mothhawk, in making it a habit for life.

Garden-wise, not so well. I'm a terrible ditherer as far as work is concerned and I always have a full day's worth. I lack confidence that it's good enough. So by the time I've actually done it, there's no time left for anything else. If I accept less work, I still manage to make it fill the day. Really need to get my head round this!

Comment

With increased age come more challenges.

Didn't garden last year due to my legs not working properly. While standing I have to use a cane so I can't use tools that require two hands. My intention is to make some adjustments. Got one of these and now I need to get some tools I can use with one hand while seated:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ags2_4.png Views:	0 Size:	301.2 KB ID:	2539446
                Last edited by DWSmith; 10-01-2022, 03:05 PM.
                Nutter's Club member.

Comment

What do you do, DWSmith, pull it along and then sit on it to work? Is it heavy to pull?

Comment

It's nice and light yet it will support 400 pounds. You sit on it and push yourself along with your feet. That wire cage in the back holds a 5 gallon plastic bucket where you can keep tools and there's a smaller place under the seat for storage. You can steer as you scoot along.
                    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

That looks a handy took to get you around the garden DW.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

That looks amazingly useful DW - do keep us updated with any tools you find useful too please.

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                          [...] I want to get to grips with successional sowing, I never do it, it's always feast or famine! [...]
                          +1 to that.
                          But not peanut 's other suggestion, about weight: I'm in danger of being blown away by a stiff breeze as it is...
                          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                            But not peanut 's other suggestion, about weight: I'm in danger of being blown away by a stiff breeze as it is...
                            That's plain showing off...

Comment

Ha!^^^ my thoughts exactly Snoop!….in fact I came on here to say just that!

Any tips Q or are you a natural ectomorph?

If I were a horse I’d be considered a ‘good doer’ meaning I didn’t need much food to keep going.
                              Being a natural endomorph ( or a fat mesomorph) would have come in handy for my ancestors in previous centuries as I come from a line of poor agricultural labourers mostly

And my main hobby apart from growing food?…is eating it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X