This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon n’alln’all

gf…do share the link to the window cleaner…always worth knowing about products which make domestic ‘chores’ easier.

I had a good time at the vide grenier - I bought four old storm lamps as garden decorations. Not capable of being reconditioned so they were stupidly cheap.

Came home and ironed for a couple of hours whilst OH made a late Sunday lunch.

The storms never arrived! I was looking forward to that…but we do have light drizzle which is better than none. Not enough though not to need to watering some of the veg.

The hens are just stood outside in it…clearly thoroughly enjoying the experience.

Glad you got your granddaughter’s dress sorted bramble. Sounds pretty!

well done on your domestics gf…..feet up now for the rest of the day!

I really should do another hour of ironing but I just can’t get motivated now my tummy is full of yummy food
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning

We're down for rain and thunderstorms for the next 2 days, just what my garden needs

GF we were on a campsite and our neighbours used a rechargeable window vacs to suck rain water from their tent before packing it away, it worked really well.

Enjoy your day.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning. Here's a link to the window vac I bought for £19.99. https://www.aldi.co.uk/teal-electric...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mine is grey but the same. I still cannot believe the speed of the job and I just put washing up liquid and warm water in the sprayer. I threw the towelling type cleaner bit in the washer after (It comes with two) and it's come out like new. Of course it might be months before they're back on the centre aisle again.

This reminds me I need a trip to the supermarket today. The fridge is looking depleted.

The sun is hiding at the moment and we might even get a thunderstorm this afternoon. Late last night I did notice that the moon looked a sort of blurry, with a golden aura. The Wreck of the Hesperus came to mind..... but my days of sailing in rough seas are well past.

I think I'll go make more coffee.....

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

thanks for the link gf. Will keep my eyes open for it.

No storms overnight…but light drizzle. It was actually very misty this morning - I couldn’t make out of it was the haze before the hot sunny day or moisture evaporating. Given that it’s still a bit misty and there is thick cloud then I’m guessing the latter. Good blight weather tbh

Our lawns/ field are looking rather straggly/ tufty so I guess there will be some mowing going on here this afternoon.
          Last nightI thought it would be a good idea to check if our well was dry. We don’t use it , but it’s a consideration for the future for watering the veggies. ( Pity the location of the well is so far from the potagers.) I was expecting to hear a thunk when the stone his the bottom, but there was actually a splash
          It bodes well as our drinking water comes from our small river a few hundred metres away. And yup the water levels are low but there’s clearly water still available to drain into it.
          The photos in the news of the major rivers reduced to a trickle is quite a shock isn’t it?

Right…brew time over - think I’ll go outside and collect more windfalls…..
          Enjoy your day peeps….

Comment

• Good afternoon all.
            Just back home from a walk to the library,
            It's now lashing rain but it's just a heavy shower.
            My two water butts are empty.
            I left out all the builders buckets I have in the hope of catching some rain water.

GF I like the window cleaner and will keep my eye out for that.

Have a good afternoon all,

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon our 2pm rain didn't happen I'm leaving the trugs out in case the 8pm thunder storm happens
              I've baked again today we've now got a good stock of bread, cobs and scones.

Only a bit gardening some weeding and removing bolted lettuce.

Comment

• Goodnight all.
                Happy to say we had a good deal of heavy showers this afternoon and evening.
                Still not enough but certainly an improvement.

Brenk I hope you got the rain you were expecting.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Rain bramble?…I’ve almost forgotten what that is!
                  Cloudy and humid again here today .

The smiles set off bright and early…some with brollies clenched in their teeth, others with factor 50 suncream. I hope they know more about the weather forecast than I do!

I have a quick grory hop to do then ironing and freezing down windfall apples. That’s going to take up most of my day.
                  Am I the only one with loads of unripe apples dropping off the trees? We spotted some Asian hornets feasting off some in our wheelbarrow- so we need to get them out of the way asap before they decide to build a nest nearer to us next year

Your baking sesh sounds wonderful Bren…yum!
                  Yesterday I made a quiche for supper so in too went a nectarine crumble ,6 chocolate muffins and the eggshells to make the most of the oven being on.
                  I think that’s going to be my routine from now on. If the oven is on then there needs to be at least two other things in there as well as the original bake/roast
                  My mom always used to say not to bake a dessert in the same oven as a savoury as the flavour transfers a bit. Has anyone ever found that to be the case? I’ve occasionally ignored her advice () but in all honesty not found that to be the case ….so far…..

Best crack on with a bit of domestics before heading out. Maybe I should do a quick rain dance? In truth if I sang it’s more likely to bring on the rain!

Have a great day peeps …

Comment

• Morning all.

Looks like we had a shower overnight , but not enough to dampen the ground under the trees along the road, and it's almost dry again already.

I'm doing the same with my oven, Nicos, and truly I've not noticed any flavour transfer. I suspect it's only when there is fat spitting about from roasting meat that it might taint desserts sharing the oven. The only drawback is having to be careful with timing so I'm not opening the door on half-baked cakes.

I keep an old bread tin in the bottom of the oven and put eggshells in that as I use eggs, so they are out of the way but ready whenever the oven is put on.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning all. Still sunny here. The much publicised showers are just avoiding us. Maybe I'll strip our bed and hang the sheets outdoors to encourage them.

I'm missing something. Why is everyone baking their egg shells?

Comment

• Morning

I've not noticed any flavour transfer either, i've read its possiable but to me it makes sence to use all the shelves. As a kid we had an Aga and were used to popping things in to bake/cook especially jacket potatoes.

No plans today the promised rain never happened.

Enjoy your day.

Comment

• Good morning all,
                          its bright today but cooler.
                          All the rain must of fell on Ireland.
                          Huge amount of flooding in parts of the east and Midlands yesterday afternoon.
                          We got a lot of rain here but no flooding.

Yes, I too need to know why you're baking eggshells Nicos.
                          Of course the smiles that visited here had the brollies. 💚

Have a good day and keep up that rain dance Nicos, wehvehad enough now.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Nicos is probably baking her eggshells to crumble up for the chickens, I bake mine to crumble into the compost heap. They decompose much faster.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• ^^^^ yup - exactly that ground up in their feed helps them replace calcium lost to egg production.
                              Hadn't thought about them breaking down faster in a compost heap MH….good call. I suppose the scent is different too so as not to encourage rats?

Well, I’ve just had an interesting experience!
                              No phone on me though to share it…..​​​​​…..
                              Two hornets fighting over our windfall apples in the wheelbarrow. One was a smaller Asian one and the other a European one.
                              They had quite a tumble of a combat lasting at least a couple of minutes….with the European one coming out the champ!…the Asian one flew off and didn’t return. I was half expecting it to come back with its pals but it didn’t.
                              Glad to see the native one winning the battle at least on an individual basis.

Anyone fancy a brew? I gave away most of the buns I made yesterday so I’m afraid I can’t leave any out for you….OH devoured the rest ( chocolate Victoria sponge smothered in Nutella )

Comment

• Good grief!…we have sunshine again
                                Its actually a lovely evening here - not too hot as we’ve previously experienced!
                                Maybe it’s going to be another meteor shower night again!…do look up there if you have no cloud cover .

We are still desperately hoping for rain. The drizzle we have has completely evaporated .
                                I’ve put out more water pots for the wildlife ….and birds. It must be so difficult when they are also trying to raise young.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X