This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodnight all.
    Just wondering if any peeps saw the harvest moon tonight.
    clear skies here so it was very visible.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Just looking at it now Bramble. It’s really beautiful - Just dropping low into the horizon.
      I did stick my head out of the window to check out the meteor shower as it’s almost at its best apparently but the moon was so bright that I can hardly even see the stars!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Lottie - I get that feeling each time we come home, even after just one night away.
        We walk directly into our lounge from the front door and we only finished renovating it last year, so it’s still a novelty after 14 years of how it was. I used to get a similar warm feeling back then but now it’s even more uplifting!
        I still grin when I’m dusting it etc, and that’s saying something as I really hate housework!

Right…back to sleep….Hibou has just clambered in through the bedroom Velux - dirty stop out that she is!- so at least she shouldn’t be walking over our heads in an hour or so demanding to be let out!

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Deffo time for a brew!…help yourselves.

The smiles set off early this morning heading off both norf and souf. They got a little confused and watered my veggies before leaving
          They said they’d look out for you Snoop, mentioning something about Eccles cakes and chocolate hobnobs….

Looks like we are in for a hot one today. Having experienced 42C earlier this month 33C doesn't sound like something I can complain about. I’ve left water out again for the wildlife. It’s amazing how quickly it evaporates - even in the shade.

We are heading off to the mega DIY shop near the coast early tomorrow - obviously involving nipping into ikea …plus there is a huuuge fabric shop nearby where I want to see what linen fabric they have for my bedroom cupboard curtains. I don’t really want doors on them so that’s what I’m fancying.
          Lottie - you’d love wandering around there. I can imagine a huuuge pile of fabric wandering around the shop with a pair of legs sticking out beneath it!..te he!

Anyone fancy scrambled egg this morning?…I have 4 dozen eggs needing eating! I’m going to need to make some quiches and cakes for freezing aren’t I?
          ooo….lemon curd too - I really fancy that!

keep cool peeps…see ya later!

Comment

• Morning all. Ooooh ..... lemon curd. One of Mr GF's favourites. The easiest recipe I ever found was one of Mary Berry's. It cooks in 8 or so minutes and tastes delicious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220811_084114.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	645.0 KB
ID:	2550320
            It just makes a couple of jars.

Comment

• That looks an intersecting recipe gf…I’ve only ever made it with egg yolks and no whites before…..

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...d/print/69970/

Which then leaves me with having to make something with the egg whites!

I love most of Mary Berry’s recipes!…must give that a try… thanks
              Last edited by Nicos; 11-08-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                Another beautiful sunny day.
                I need to go to the post office this morning.
                Not doing much today as it's too hot.

The smiles came by earlier Nicos, they were chattering away and in great good humour.

Have a good day all,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Too hot for outdoor occupation, there's a lot of indoor jobs I could do, but not feeling motivated right now. My mum's in one of her grumpy moods today, so it's better to keep my head down. I wish I could get her to drink more water as I know that affects her moods, and being on water tablets, I worry that she's not drinking enough in this hot weather.

The car's gone for its MOT today. Fingers crossed it passes. It's only done 1100 miles since last year's MOT so there should be nothing radically wrong.

Enjoy the day everyone.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

• Good luck with the MOT MH….as you say, it should be OK but you can’t help but feel a sigh of relief when they say it’s passed!

From personal experience I know it can very hard getting some elderly people to drink . My mom used to gag on water. A drop of cranberry juice in the water made it palatable for her. We used to prepare soups particularly with that in mind.

You are probably aware of the highest water containing foods but with this weather we all probably need to eat more of them.
                    Heres an interesting article about needing fluids in the diet …
                    https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-high-in-water…. There is a list in there somewhere.
                    Last edited by Nicos; 11-08-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• It's currently 29°C here and forecast to climb another couple of degrees later. Mr GF suddenly panicked this morning that if our tower fan, several years old, suddenly died a death he would melt so he decided we needed a spare.

I did look online but in our city they were all out of stock (normal in a heatwave) and I didn't really trust certain stores with delivery only - in 5 to 7 days, as my experience of deliveries this year has not been good.

In the end I tried the B&Q website and they had some in stock in their store just off the M606 (near Bradford) 20 odd miles away. They were available for "click and collect". We are now the proud owners of an extra tower fan and Mr GF is happy. I must say that I find the tower fans far more sensible than the old top heavy type with a big head as they used to get decapitated regularly here...and they took up too much room.
                      Last edited by greenishfing; 11-08-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Afternoon

An early morning grory hop since then I’ve been hiding indoors with south facing curtains closed.

No baking today Nicos we now have a couple of sourdough loaves, 20 bread cobs, fruit scones and sourdough oatcakes in the freezer.

I’ll have a read at the link you’ve posted.

back later.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Evening all. Car passed its MOT with just a minor repair, thank goodness., so happy bunny here

Interesting link, Nicos, thanks. My mum won't drink anything but water, she gave up tea and coffee years ago and has never been one for juices or fizzy drinks. I'm making fresh fruit salads and soups, but again, she doesn't like gazpacho or other cold soups and the weather's not ideal for too many hot soups.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Goodnight all.
                            The temp reached w8degs here this afternoon, unheard of on the coast.
                            Grandson was feeling the heat this evening so I turned on the fan for him.

Mothhawk, glad to hear your car passed the MOT.

I Remember we had a real problem trying to get my mother to drink water.
                            As she got older she really dug her heels in and we had a real problem as she kept getting bladder infections
                            Adding cranberry juice really helped.

Bren, Intoo had all the blinds closed, it do help.
                            We want the fineether but we really cant cope with it.

Have a cool evening all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Great news MH

We’ve been outside for a couple of hours, watching the sun go down and the moon rise. Frustratingly it’s pretty hazy here but we did spot about 5 satellites, a couple of planes and best of all….. one very decent shooting star!…yippee I’m a happy bunny now.
                              Not the 100/hr as predicted but maybe another evening…..One is enough to make that wish.

Off out early tomorrow so I best get myself to bed…..

Comment

• Evening all. Happy your car went through the MOT as well MH. Even less miles than me. I managed 1700 this year.

I can see the moon here but not much else.

I remember one rather drunken night many years ago where two guests at a party I attended were arguing whether a certain light in the sky was Venus or the space station. The discussion was getting quite heated until someone else pointed out, in that down to earth way we Yorkshire folk have, that whatever it was it was landing at the nearby airport.

It's still 21°C here and I hope it cooks off a bit more soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X