Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a coincidence....all this talk of window cleaning. I haven't seen our window cleaner for three or four months and I am the world's worst..... If I do try they look worse afterwards than before. Anyway a new lad has just knocked on the door touting for business. I'll give him a go.

Right, the temperature has now reached the dizzying heights of 13°C so I think we'll venture out to the allotment.

Comment

• Hmm. Maybe the Waffle game isn't the same for everyone, then. Once I got the hang of it, it started to seem easy, but the last few games I've played have been quite difficult. I usually finish with a few swaps to spare but didn't manage to complete it today. Hardly any letters filled in green. And yes, mothhawk, I do the same with a piece of paper, letters I've got right above the line, letters that are in the word but not in the right place below.

Comment

• I think you might be right about that Snoop - I don’t play it every day , so maybe I’m going through the easy stage.

Wordle is different on my phone and iPad - so I get the chance to play it twice a day if I want to.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Hi late again,them smiles have been great to day,took a walk to the shops,First time in a few weeks,I felt great,After Wilkes,thought you know what,so had my nails done again,plus apedicuremmmmmthe chair also did a massarg,then me eye brows again,l felt good afterwards,on the way back called in Poundlandcame out with some new clothes,gotta try emon yet,just hope I can get me big xxxxin the pants,it is the first time in a long while,I felt like I used to yeas ago,sooo happy and relaxed,I also got some crotchett hooks,am gonna have a go at doing some braceIets i seen on the net,I am certainly not short of somat todo, even did a nice supper instead of a can,ready meal or grab whats easy,also got 3more butternutts chitted,think from now on it will be chit it before it hits the compost,night night
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Goodnight all.
            Regarding The Waffle Game.
            I have to say, yawny would not be a word in my vocabulary.
            ​​​​​​​I think they are pushing the boundaries.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

I also play Quordle (you'd think I didn't have anything better to do with my time, all these word games I play...). They've had voila twice in as many weeks. Maybe they're trying to encourage Americans to spell and say it right.

About to head out to do a bit more weeding. Not sure if the toms will go out today or tomorrow. I've decided we could do with some more canes (I've been using the same ones for years now), so Mr Snoop will go and cut some (loads growing along the boundary between our land and next door's and we have permission from the other owner to take from his side too). He's still working away at clearing around our well to get the solar installation set up. Not much fun, as there are loads of brambles.

Definitely going to get sowing this evening too, when the sun goes down. Should be the last really hot day of this very odd week. Still hot tomorrow but not as bad, according to the forecast, and then back down to the low twenties. Phew.

Glad the smiles kept you good company today, LD. They were flittering about this morning but have at long last decided to head off. I think they might be going to try and find where all the swifts and swallows are. Maybe the very cold spell and then all the rain kept them further south, but I've only seen two this year and there are next to none nesting in the village according to Mr Snoop. And I've only seen three bee eaters as well. All the flying insects will be cheering.

Anyway, have a great day everyone. Catch you later.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

First night back in our ‘real’ bedroom for 9 months Its still a bit of a building site but it’s wonderful . I think I want to lie in bed and admire it all day!

However, we’ve still loads to do and I need to set time aside for packing the camper van and planting out before we go .

Lottie - what a fabulous day you had!…that was lovely to hear.

Snoop - what was the maximum temperature you recorded this week?…and have you had any of the Saharan sand?

Bramble - agreed- they do use some very strange words. Very strange that I know them too! They do feel very Americanised.

Jay - hope you had a good day yesterday.

Gf…how many sweetcorn this morning?….I have visions of you gleefully approaching them for a headcount each day!

Right…best crack on….see you later for a brew? Enjoy your day peeps.
                Last edited by Nicos; 22-05-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Good morning everyone. I was up with the Lark the first time, before 6am, but it was cold, drizzling and generally miserable. I managed to drop back off after a wander round. It was Mr GF who woke me up by trying to hog all the bed and quilt.

At the moment the sun is valiantly trying to fight it's way into view and warm everything up.

Yesterday at the allotment I did some planting, some weeding, some earthing up and some strimming. Some of the courgettes are now in their final positions I hope and presuming the slugs keep their distance. I kept meaning to see if any of the new radish had poked through but forgot. I did remember to take photos of my figs however which are amazing me this year. It also looks as if I'm going to get a bumper crop of Bramley apples this year as well. Last year there was one lonely apple at the top of the tree and a bird got to it before I did. Even the sad looking Victoria plum tree that was on it's final warning seems to have got a new lease of life, looks very healthy and is laden with baby plums. The Morello cherry is having a minor sulk but the sweet cherry is looking promising as long as I can deter the blackbirds.

Today I hope to strim and rotovate and maybe finish planting my potatoes too.

I haven't counted the sweetcorn yet as Mr GF wants to do it with me and he's still in bed. The propagater lids are still in place.
                  Last edited by greenishfing; 22-05-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Yes Nicos, another gleeful headcount of the sweetcorn. One week after planting 41 out of 48 are through. I hope the other 7 appear but if not about 80% germination is enough to make me happy. I just hope this batch don't keep over and die.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                      A Dull and cloudy start to the dsy.
                      Off to mass shortly and I will work in the garden this afternoon.
                      Grandson is coming by for lunch

I got all my tomatoes planted in their final pots yesterday.
                      There are 20 on the final count.
                      Peppers planted up as well and two cucumbers.

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Snoop - what was the maximum temperature you recorded this week?…and have you had any of the Saharan sand?
                        41.3 ºC in the shade today. Apparently, there's a lot of Saharan dust in the air. But no rain (as yet), so no obvious evidence. It feels like we could get a thunderstorm any minute soon, but not forecast.

Neither of us stayed outside long this morning. In fact, all I did was weed a bed and plant eight lettuces. Good luck to them...

The beds down in the fields are very weedy: couch grass, potentilla reptans, thistles, branched horsetail and assorted others, including another matting type plant that I haven't identified. Anyway, very pesky.

Oh, and my sweetcorn plants up in the veg patch closer to the house are dwindling in number. And I've discovered why, and it isn't the much maligned Frankie. Something is burrowing in the bed. Probably rodents, or perhaps toads enjoying the cool of the generous watering. Either way, the plants are disappearing fast. Not sure if this is a good advert for no dig - such lovely soft soil (last year it was nigh on terracotta) - or a bad advert.

Comment

• OMG….yup- that’s deffo an OMG moment for May 41.3C Scary in reality
                          We have voles here Snoop -hundreds of the darned things… they are a flippin pain. Very pretty , but a pain.
                          Probably one of the worst pests along with aphids which we have.
                          Even the mice and rats ( yup) do less damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            We have voles here Snoop -hundreds of the darned things… they are a flippin pain. Very pretty , but a pain.
                            Probably one of the worst pests along with aphids which we have.
                            Even the mice and rats ( yup) do less damage.
                            I was thinking of sowing some more direct, but won't do that now. Maybe it was them that pinched my seed potatoes. Do you sow beans direct or are they also subject to pilfering?

We're down to Frankie now as the sole hunting feline and he tends not to hunt close to the house because the dogs try and get his prey off him. Would get another cat, but the aged female won't like that so not on the immediate cards. That said, Mr Snoop has rather fallen for a pale ginger youngster who looks to be a street cat rather than have a home to go to.

Comment

• evening all,that sounds good GF with sweet corn,a bedroom to call your own,bet it feels like you moved home ,i hope i turned a corner,went out again,saw a friend and son,spent a bit of time chatting and knitting,so relaxing,everyone commented how well i looked,next port of call for this granny is a dentist,son going to get the ball rolling tomoz,if we can find a NHS with space,then it aught to be the humhum fat,several peeps have remarked i do not look my age,some lovely compliments eh,plus i keep being told to just accept them,i always maintain,i am going to grow older very disgracefully and i mean it,woohoo bring life on,son comming tommorow so that will be a bit of a geeup to do more outside,have a good evening all,and Bgood2yourselves
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Good morning. What a ridiculous time and I'm wide awake. This is what happens when I go to bed before midnight. I can hear lots of birdsong even though it is still dark outside.

Yesterday I got more strimming and rotovating done and was quite pleased with my efforts. The radish that I planted the other day are just appearing as well. I think more rocket and lettuce today. Maybe a row of beetroot too.

The courgettes that I put out a couple of days ago don't look too happy but at least they're not dead yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X