This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n’alln’all
    Early start…..heading off - yet again - to the mega diy store near the coast. Such a shame it’s so near to IKEA!..This time I’m going to nip in and treat myself to a couple of orchids. I deserve them. Yup.

Looks like another wonderful day weather wise - perfect for a picnic …pity we don’t have time for one. Glad you managed to have one yesterday lottie. I love grabbing a butty and flask and heading off.

Gotta dash - don’t overdo the UV peeps…see ya later!

ps…I’ve left some watermelon for those who fancy a slice.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning. It was a hot day yesterday. All I did at the allotment was weed and plant a row of radishes. Last nights rain should water them in. My ideal this year would be to have a continuous supply of salad stuff, if I can beat the slugs to the plants. Today, hopefully the Mantis is coming out and I'm going to work some really well rotted manure into the plot where my sweetcorn (if it comes up) is going to be.

One of Mr GF's old friends rang last night to ask if he can come down to the allotment today, so I'll pick him up on the way. At 95 I really don't expect him to do any work but I think he gets a bit lonely. He can sit, drink coffee, and chat with Mr GF. Another beautiful day is forecast today but not quite as hot as yesterday.

Comment

• Morning all.

A year of salad stuff... I'd love that too, GF. Am thinking of putting up some shade cover perhaps and definitely planting lettuce in behind the tomato plants to achieve that this year.

It's going to be a really hot few days, heading up to 40 ºC and higher on Sunday due to a load of air coming from Africa. About to head off to do some weeding and planting out and, if I can manage it, a bit of strimming, but must get up much earlier over the next few days otherwise I'll cook out there.

Loads more paid work today as well. Possibly visit the neighbours, though I'm not sure about that.

The smiles got bored of me humming and hahhing over today's activities and flew off in a great gaggle, with Frankie attempting to catch them. He's just discovered the joys of leaping. Ambushed me last night from a huge distance and still managed to grapple with my thigh. Fortunately no claws out. And then he jumped onto the bed from a long way away. He's a tiny cat, very small and very slim, but very strong. Shame there isn't a long or high jump competition for cats. He'd be a serious contender.

Anyway, time to finish my coffee and head on out. Have a great day everyone.

Comment

• Morning, weather was atrocious yesterday but the sun is trying to peek out this morning. Some good news, OH may be home by Friday!!! Must say it’s only ‘may’ but at least they are working towards it!
          Enjoy your day everyone. Catch you later! x
          sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all.
            Nothing garden related was done yesterday as the rain was non stop..
            The sun is trying to come out so I am hoping for a better day.
            It was so bad yesterday I ended up doing the ironing.

Jay great news, even if they are considering letting him home he is definitely on the mend.

Enjoy your trip to IKEA Nicos.

Have a good day all and dont forget the suncream.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• morning all,sun here,what great news Jay,fingers crossed for you both,have a good day Nicos hope you get the orchids,Snoop what a cat you got,and GF sounds like like you found that motivator,have done a bit in the poly this morning,may have a walk to the shops,see what wilkes has,and top up the milk,i feel a bit deflated,as i found 2 bits of horse tail in the garden,at least it not covered like my previouse lottie plot,so will just keep my eyes peeled,and digging out,1 in the poly,and another several feet away,i was going to put the compost bin there,but not now,have a good day see U all later
              Last edited by lottie dolly; 18-05-2022, 10:04 AM.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• And I’m baaaack
                Got absolutely everything we needed - and two free mugs of hot chocolate. Feeling very chuffed.
                Fantastic news Jay - I’ll cross my fingers and toes for you both x

Frankie sounds so full of beans …he must be such fun to be around
                Hibou will be 12 this year and we can see she’s slowing down a bit but she’s still got lightning reflexes. Yesterday I was ironing bedding and she was dashing around sticking her paws under the sofa. I tried to see if she’d brought in a mouse but couldn’t see anything…turned out to be a lizzard

Talking of lightning reflexes we’ve been watching swallows flying around catching insects. By heck they can turn on a sixpence….and so fast with it too.Amazing.

Yikes - horsetail Lottie?….I imagine by now you must be an expert in managing it? On the upside, At least it’s not as bad as having Japanese knotweed.

Must be time for another brew?…I’ll get that kettle on.

Comment

• Fantastic news Jay. I'm glad things are improving.

I have just got home from the allotment and I am shattered. I think my shoulders and hands belong to somebody else. It has been hot and sunny until about ten minutes ago when the clouds started gathering.

Mr GF and his friend had a nice time, drinking coffee, munching biscuits and reminiscing in the shed. I got lots done. Tomorrow I am definitely planting out some courgettes. There are more showers forecast for tonight but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny like today. Perfect weather: Hot days and showers at night. I'm glad we're nowhere near 40°C like Snoop though. Anything above 25°C is too hot for me to want to work.

Now that Mr Motivater has done his job I think I need Mr Energizer to recharge my batteries. If anybody sees him point him "up North". The mind is willing but the poor old body is struggling.

I'll think about food next.

Comment

• afternoon,i got done what i wanted regards the garden,and made a start in the poly tunnel,planted a tom,cue and a tromba,slowly does it,before we know it the things will be on overload,at least i have the big freezer almost empty,Nicos i am far from an expert,what i have learned is,DO NOT rotivat,just keep digging it out,other wise ,GF motvator must have thought your needs before mine,am sure he will turn up,next week,when smelling cakes,i got a few to do,and eggs to use,reminder to myself,make a list for the shops,but look in the cupboards first,and know what to get,instead of guess work,makes all the difference eh
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• My gran used to say 'no point getting older if you don't get wiser'. Sounds like your mantra too, LD. Glad things are coming along. x

Comment

• Evening I've been out and about most of the day so not much gardening just a bit of planting out.

Jay fingers cross MrJay comes home Friday xx
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks everyone, everything crossed here too!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Very rudely awoken this morning by thunder, lightning and hail. About time tbh!

Yesterday I managed a bit of weeding in the shade but it was in reality hot and airless.
                            I think I’ll make the most of this weather and do a grory hop - it would be rude to visit the kids and not take over any wine wouldn’t it?
                            I could make this my last grory hop before our trip over next week.
                            Really looking forward to seeing everyone again , but especially our granddaughter who was only one week away from taking her first steps when we were last over , and is now running around. Should be fun!
                            I’ve ordered her some finger paints. Her mom is going to love me!!!!!

Now it’s cooler I think I’ll sort out the inside of the camper van ready for our trip over. Sooo exciting!

Enjoy your day peeps ..
                            Last edited by Nicos; 19-05-2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all.

My first peek at the sweetcorn this morning revealed that the first two sweetcorn are peeking out after 4 days. I'm hopeful that the others will follow on.

I really must do a grory hop today as the fridge looks really empty, we're even well down the last bottle of milk.

It rained last night, everything is still very damp this morning and the sun is struggling to put in an appearance. It's only forecast to be 19°C, but I can happily live with that after frying for two days.

Comment

• Morning all.

Been out for a bit already but come in for iced coffee (too hot for a hot one) to cool off. Back out again for a bit but not for long I think. We hit 36 ºC yesterday in the shade. Due to be hotter today. Fortunately, not summer started early, as should be back to normal next week. More weeding and catching up with bed preparation, as well as planting out. Taking longer than I hoped, but that's weeds for you.

No idea when the smiles left. I'm guessing they're heading your way, Jay22. They were working out how to cross their fingers last night for you, but couldn't quite work out how to do it. Anyway, I've got mine crossed for you.

Lots to get through today once this morning's gardening session is done. Need to have an evening one too if I'm actually to make the most of the new plot. Mr Snoop is out clearing brambles to fit the new irrigation system, so I don't want to look like I'm not ready for it...

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X