This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening!
    Early night following on from a stupidly early morning.

Just listening to several blackbirds calling away. Hadn’t realised we had so many locally. That’s a definite childhood memory of listening to them in bed whilst my parents were gardening at the end of the day.
    Very sad about hearing the struggles of your local bird wildlife NH. The cycle of life eh?

see you all in the morning peeps- sleep tight

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

I hate magpies. Must have been a horrible sight to see, MH. Very occasionally we get jays thinking of moving in locally. They get mobbed by small birds before they can get established. Lovely looking birds, jays, and I know they're only trying to survive, but...

So, didn't get as much done yesterday as planned, but still enough to be pleased with my efforts. It was very cold last night but that's it for chilly nights if the weather forecasts have got it right. So melons, squash and courgettes go out today. Then back on with getting the tomato beds fettled. The beds themselves are actually very little effort. But the paths are a disaster. The mallow are proving more difficult to remove than I'd expected. Not letting them get a foothold next year. But that's no bad thing. I spend winter lolling around doing next to nothing. Now I'll just spend it on keeping the paths in order.

The diet went out the window yesterday. Mr Snoop went to the post office to collect a parcel and came back with bread... Never mind, Monday's another day.

The smiles left in a fair hurry this morning. Not sure why. They wouldn't say. Sometimes they're a mysterious cabal. Anyway, looked like they had a mission in mind when they set off, so I hope they do the complete rounds.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning.

The sun is shining and the day looks full of promise. Somehow we seemsd to get through Friday the 13th without any catastrophes (not that I'm superstitious of course).

I really want to get some work done at the allotment today as the weather forecast for tomorrow is not good.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

No flies on me!…..been and got a lovely chunk of oak . Last time we were there in the autumn we had to slosh our way through a quagmire of very sticky mud and bracken - this time it was sheer dust. That really shows how little rain we’ve had

Just had breakfast outside - we bought our first watermelon on the summer yesterday and it was deliciously y sweet. I always enjoy that for breakfast in the summer.

More ‘stuff’ today.
          Whilst at the patio table I made 9 candle decorations for the gites - one nightlight in an old glass yogurt pot and fastened unravelled jute rope around the neck. Simple but easy and I love the recycling aspect.

My diet went to pot too Snoop - but entirely my fault as I was putting mini chocolate bars and biscuits into jars for the guests - and yes, of course I had to check they were nice and fresh even though I’d only just bought them

I picked up 12 red geraniums at Lidl yesterday - very decent price for their size. So I’m hoping to get those into the window boxes later.

Gf….Friday 13th was actually a good day for us - we heard we will be getting some tax back from the Inland Revenue - Not sure how much yet, or how long it will take - but it’s a relief .

Best crack on…
          Last edited by Nicos; 14-05-2022, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Hip, Hip, Hurray! The postman has just been and my sweetcorn seeds have arrived. I ordered them from T & M, who I've been avoiding for a few years due to a bad experience. However I am happy as I ordered them on Wednesday afternoon and they are here Saturday morning, half the time it took the seeds from Suttons to arrive. They will be planted later today. The big question........ Should I plant all 50 of them?

Comment

• ^^^ brill news!

all 50? Ha…that’s a decision and a half to have to make …

Comment

• Hmmm. I've been trying to do catch up. I really, really ought to take notes so that I can follow up with all your posts. But I haven't done that. So I really mean the best for those who have troubles.

Do the smiles have an itinerary or is it random?

I am so embarrassed by my garden. I finally got it how I wanted it 2 years ago during the first lockdown. I was and still am on chemo, but used the time to lay a lawn, put up a poly tunnel, build a log store, clear a patch for veggies. The builders I had in last year trashed it and I'm so angry. The lawn is dead and I have bags of building debris the local tip won't take.

Anyway, the reason for posting, apart from saying hello. I had 2 terriers Hollie and Prince. Hollie died last December. She'd been ill for a while and it made it problematic for her brother. He initially didn't eat after she died but we are now back to how it was before she was ill. He loves games. He has his own version of fetch. His favourite game is "hide the biscuit". I hide treats and he finds them. I buy the treats from Pets@home pick and mix. Apart from the fact that they no longer sell most of his favourites. Anyway, he mostly comes with me everywhere unless he might be left in the car for any length of time and particularly when it's hot. We went to Pets@home and as it's one of the few shops he's allowed in I took him with me.

He doesn't normally pee or poo indoors but he seems to have made an exception with my daughters house and Pets@home. So we're having a wander around the store as apart from his treats a friend had asked me to pick up some mealworms. He decides to poo. I didn't realise that the store were prepared for this and his poo was next to a bin, poo scoop and bags. So I go and find a member of staff to help who were wonderful. When I got back to said poo I'm accosted by another customer who insisted that he'd poo'ed in various other parts of the store and I needed to pick up those as well. Remember that Prince was on a lead and I was with him, I knew where he'd been. To keep the peace I ended up picking up everyone elses dogs poo as well as I couldn't prove it wasn't him. How much poo did this bloke think one little dog could produce?
                "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                Oxfordshire

Comment

• Evening

Had a good day in the garden plus we went to watch the Lancaster bomber fly over head

GF I'd plant them all unless you can swap someone plant wise.

enjoy your evening.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I have already decided now to plant all 50! If they don't all germinate ....so be it. If they do and are generous I will have a full freezer this Winter and a quick call to my sweetcorn loving sister will take care of ANY excess.

Comment

• Good evening, have been looking through some recent posts, and there are a high number of you mentioning edibles, no wonder some of us need to go on a diet, that ofcourse doesn't include me but please consider others, some people are quite weak willed, no not me, I can look at jaffa cakes, ginger biscuits etc and be strong willed enough to say, it won't put any weight on me when I eat them, just need to pluck up the courage to stand on the scales to check........ Correction I just went and stood on the scales and there is no change from the last time I stood on them 5 weeks ago then again I should possibly put the battery back in
                      Sister still doing well, and she is well aware she is not going to get better or improve, from my point of view its good that we can still talk and, reminisce, we used to go hill walking with oneanother and she can remember things better than me, but then as I have told her, that's because she was very lucky to be walking with me, where as I was------. Well enjoy the remainder of your weekend, keep safe and keep smiling. Goodnight and God bless
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Morning all.

Janie, I have no control over where the smiles go. If they have an itinerary, they haven't shared it with me. My understanding is they go here, there and everywhere, but they do try to visit everyone. I'll tell them to make sure they include you. They set off rather early this morning when the alarm clock went off, but as I decided to have another 20 minutes in bed pondering the state of my little world, I didn't get a chance to speak to them.

Sorry to hear about your sister, Rary. But glad you're both getting an opportunity to talk. She sounds like a wonderful woman. Special smiles for you too.

Yesterday was a very productive day in the garden, thanks to Mr Snoop, who did loads to help. My hands are feeling a bit tender from all the weeding, so today will be a big raking and planting day. Then I can start off some more seeds. I'm planning on around 50 sweetcorn, just not all at once! Need to get a lot more herbs sown over the next week or so and another round of just about everything else. And the toms out on Tuesday or Wednesday, I think. We both like it when the tomato frame is up - makes it feel like an 'official' veg patch.

Got a great ton of stuff to get through today, as well as the planting. Bit of paid work, some buns for gifts, visit the neighbours... Not sure I'll be able to fit it all in, but the sooner I start, the more I'll manage.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning everyone, no idea what it’s like outside as I’m still in bed. Don’t know how I was lying last night but I’ve woken with a stiff neck.
                          Managed to get some pots planted up yesterday to try to cheer the place up a bit.
                          Has anyone put together an egg chair? Is it easy? I’ve one that’s been lying in the garage for two years now, a gift from my wee auntie, would like to have it up for when OH eventually gets home, hopefully in the next week or two. Don’t want to start it if it’s too difficult for one person.
                          I’m sorry to hear about your sister rary but so glad you are getting the chance to reminisce with her. Thinking of you both.
                          Well I best think about getting up. Hope you all have a lovely day. Thanks for the smiles Snoop, I’ll send them on to the OH, he’s a bit miffed as they’ve moved him from one hospital where he had his own en suite room to another where he is sharing with 5 others. The fact he is even bothered is, I think, a sure sign he is starting to feel better.
                          Anyhoo enjoy your day. Catch you later. x
                          sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all. I'm happy to say that I got lots of strimming and weeding done yesterday and the weather was glorious. We hit the dizzying heights of 23°C ..... in May. We have had some rain overnight and this morning is thick cloud with more rain showers forecast for later this morning, but still a pleasant 18°C. I have brought compost and 50 pots home to scrub and then I'll plant the sweetcorn. They can go on a sunny windowsill until they poke their heads out.

Jay, I am glad your husband is feeling better. I agree, complaining is a good sign. I have generally requested that Mr GF went into a ward with others, particularly when improving, as I found the company helped relieve his boredom. He was in one ward once where the nurses had to read them the riot act as they were so loud telling each other jokes into the early hours and behaving like little boys on a school trip (or a scene from a "Carry on" film.)

Hopefully more weeding at the allotment this afternoon. Bye for now.
                            Last edited by greenishfing; 15-05-2022, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Guess who had….yes wait for it….heavy rain! And best of all it was overnight
                              Looks like I will be weeding today!

The smiles must have had a good watering as they flew over.

I think the calves must have enjoyed it too as they’ve been running around the field this morning with their little tails stuck up like periscopes. It’s fun watching them behave in a way you’ve seen little lambs behave. Aww.

Last night we sat out and lit the fire pit as it was lovely and warm. Got to make the most of these moments eh?
                              Reading about health issues of other grape’s loved ones does help you focus on moments and things we need to be grateful for.
                              Sending positive vibes to those who need them xx

Right- best shake a leg. More domestics needing doing before I get to play in the garden.
                              Enjoy your day peeps.

Comment

• Another chuckle to start the day there from gf!…your OH sounds like good fun

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X