Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good evening to you all, sorry I haven't had time yet to catch up with previous posts, but to those with concerns for themselves or loved ones I wish you a good outcome, as for myself my sister was doing well last week but sadly this morning very weak, however each day is a bonus, I suppose at the age of some us Grapes we should look on every day as that, I know once I am old I will view it like that right wish you all well and remember, a smile works wonders
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
      Good evening to you all, sorry I haven't had time yet to catch up with previous posts, but to those with concerns for themselves or loved ones I wish you a good outcome, as for myself my sister was doing well last week but sadly this morning very weak, however each day is a bonus, I suppose at the age of some us Grapes we should look on every day as that, I know once I am old I will view it like that right wish you all well and remember, a smile works wonders
      Rary, you always make me smile!

Comment

• Evening all, thought I’d posted this this morning but no!!
        Dentist called me this morning believe it or not they had a cancellation at noon today and believe it or not I now have a COLD!!! Couldn’t go to dentist but they’ve put me in for Friday, amazing! Unfortunately couldn’t visit OH today either. No idea how I’ve caught it as I’m wearing masks and continually using gel, so frustrating!
        Good news today is that OH doesn’t need a pacemaker!! Relief. Bad news is he will be in hospital another 4-5 weeks, they think, to continue with the antibiotics to fight the infection.
        Anyhoo off to bed so I’ll say goodnight and thanks again for your support. x
        sigpic

Comment

• Thinking of you and your sister rary and of course bramble and your sister too. x
          sigpic

Comment

• Woohoo Jay….I just popped in and that’s left me with a huuuuge grin on my face! ( about your OH obviously, not the dentist/cold thingy)
            Last edited by Nicos; 10-05-2022, 12:20 AM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
              Another busy day ahead!…got to sort out garden stuff to go to the tip tomorrow along with building rubble.
              OH got up early and has just finished trimming back the ivy on the front of the cottage which will also go in the trailer.
              We need the trailer empty tomorrow to go and collect some old oak planking for our bedroom
              ​​​​​​ This morning we are having our second Covid boosters ( can have them much younger here in case you were wondering Rary!!), so just in case we have a reaction then we need to get the trailer loaded ready for tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing OK?
              See ya later! Enjoy your day,
              Last edited by Nicos; 10-05-2022, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all. Nicos, you were burning the midnight oil!

I have just checked all my seedlings to discover 10 dead sweetcorn. Aaarrggghhh! They have just laid down and died. Not a good start to the day. I'm wondering if I have time to plant more.

We didn't get any of the promised rain overnight so the land should be fine for more strimming. The strimmer battery only lasts about half an hour though to be honest half an hour is long enough for my back.

Today as well as strimming, I 'm going to weed and maybe start cleaning out a greenhouse (if it's not too hot in there). Wednesday and Thursday are supposed to be cooler, so maybe then instead.

Look after yourselves everyone and don't work too hard.

Comment

• Morning all. I was expecting rain but the sun’s shining - I’m not complaining.
                  What’s the trick with strimming GF, I just don’t have the knack, I always end up scalping the edges of the lawn next to the fence. Unless you are not meant to use it for that?!!
                  My mother in law has asked the guy who cuts her lawn if he would come cut ours for the foreseeable. Trying to explain that we can’t say to him come every Tuesday or every second Tuesday because if it rains the back garden becomes a bog and you can’t mow it. She’s still insisting. She is desperate to feel as though she is helping!!
                  Anyhoo domestics today. If the sun stays I may get some laundry done!!
                  Have a great day everyone!! x
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                    Morning all. I was expecting rain but the sun’s shining - I’m not complaining.
                    What’s the trick with strimming GF, I just don’t have the knack, I always end up scalping the edges of the lawn next to the fence. Unless you are not meant to use it for that?!!
                    My mother in law has asked the guy who cuts her lawn if he would come cut ours for the foreseeable. Trying to explain that we can’t say to him come every Tuesday or every second Tuesday because if it rains the back garden becomes a bog and you can’t mow it. She’s still insisting. She is desperate to feel as though she is helping!!
                    Anyhoo domestics today. If the sun stays I may get some laundry done!!
                    Have a great day everyone!! x
                    No trick with strimming, but with my old, heavy, awkward to use (for a left hander) petrol strimmer, I used to be lethal and many a plant got accidentally lopped. The little, light, battery one I use now is just so easy to control and, touch wood, no more decapitations. The battery lasts about ½ an hour which is enough for me.
                    Last edited by greenishfing; 10-05-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Good morning all, the sun is shining but its extremely breezy,

Jay, delighted to hear your good news re your hubby.l

Rary, thinking of you and your sister.

Nicos, you sure take on a lot of work.

I am off to my line dancing this morning and looking forward to it.
                      Gardening this afternoon.pLaundry flying in the breeze so shouldn't takelingvto dry

Gf, sorry to hear about your dying sweetcorn, it's such a disappointment when you put the work in.

Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Nice to hear from you, Rary, but sorry to hear about your sister. Thinking of you.

Glad things are beginning to go your way, Jay.

Commiserations over your sweetcorn, GF. I'm five seed potatoes down this morning, dug up and eaten by the dogs, who bust in under the fence. Grrr. Fence now reinforced and wailing and gnashing has stopped.

So far today, a bit more weeding and chucking around of muck. No planting, as it got too hot. However here must be a first: I was thinking of adding thistles to the what makes you happy thread. All the no-dig muck last year and the rain this has made the ones in my winter patch really easy to remove, with 15 inches of unsnapped root. I'm a no-dig convert. Now I've just got to get Mr Snoop not to go quite so mad with the rotavator.

When it cools down a bit later, the first water up from the well this year and more muck down. Then tomorrow is the big planting session. Lots of brassicas, in particular, keen to stretch their roots a bit. Starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

I got up a bit later than yesterday and waved the smiles off. They caught sight of your jelly, GF, so I think they're making a beeline for you first.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Just enjoying a cuppa - do feel free to help yourselves.
                          There is some chocolate cake if anyone fancies a piece….I’m going to be a good girl and decline mine although I’m sure I deserve it after being such a brave lass
                          My ‘glow in the dark’ arm is doing fine - it’s amazing how some medical people make a vaccination a completely pain free experience where as others make you feel you feel like a flippin dart board!

Its 26C outside now but with a lovely refreshing breeze .I may just sit out and read for a hour before my conscience pricks….
                          Deffo healthier than munching on chocolate cake eh?

The last time we grew sweetcorn gf I’d sown about 30 plants….only 5 made it to adulthood. I do like to use the domino method of staggered planting so there were just enough to do a domino of 5 frustrating isn’t it?
                          We have badgers and wild boar in our fields and apparently they adore corn on the cob and are well known for digging up plants so that helped us decide not to bother again as they can make a dreadful mess of a potager.

don’t forget your sunscreen peeps!

Comment

• Today is not going to plan. I'd just put the washing out and was organised for going to the allotment when the heavens opened, according to the forecast we only had a 6% chance of rain today!

The washing can stay there until it is dry now.

I decided to do the grory hop while it rained. On the way home the sun appeared🌞. Now having a cup of coffee, ready to try again to go to the allotment and the sky has just turned dark grey again.

I'll see what happens in the next half hour (the forecast is now saying 77% chance of rain for 2pm).....but I certainly won't be strimming today, it is very wet underfoot now. I might pop up to the local garden centre and see if they've still got some Lark sweetcorn seed. I'm not prepared to wait a WEEK for it to arrive if I order online.

Nicos, sunscreen is the last thing we need here today!

Comment

• Evening

Well our promised rain lasted seconds just a few spots on the GH roof. Never mind there's supposed to be some tomorrow. I spent the afternoon in the garden planting and weeding the GH was a bit warm at 32.c that was with vents, louvers and the door open.

Enjoy your evening.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

Bright out but a bit cool. Due to get much hotter later. Off out now to do some weeding and to plant out leeks I'll be using months from now, when it's perishing cold. Seems very odd. Other jobs for today, plant out onions and leeks down in the fields and spread some muck and ash in the appropriate beds. Later on, do a whole load of strimming. In between times, paid work.

The smiles were amazed at how cool it was when they set off. Doesn't take much to get them all fluttery. They're a proper flighty lot.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X