Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all. There's still a rough wind blowing from the north here but the sky is clear blue. it's more like March.

Had a lovely blowy walk earlier, which included having to squeeze through a hedge off the footpath and onto the road to go round a fallen tree, then squeeze back through the other side. The footpath is enclosed with a high chain link fence one side (quarry site) and an old tall hawthorn hedge the other, fortunately gappy enough to get through. The road is a steep uphill with sharp bends and no verge, so not at all safe to walk on.

It's recycling collection day here and as a lot of folk put their bins out overnight, there are bins blown over and paper and plastic blown everywhere, even though the council collection men thoughtfully changed their routine and came round early. Usually they do the garden waste collection first, then come round again for the recycling at about lunchtime.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Thoughtful bin men! Whatever next Mothawk?

Weird morning! I rang the elderly relative's care home to book a visit for Thursday morning now Mr GF is feeling just about normal and visiting is allowed again.....no problem, still have to take a lateral flow test beforehand and wear PPE, etc. Half an hour later I got a phone call from the local hospital to say they're sending her back to the care home today. I didn't know she was still in hospital....or I wouldn't have booked a care home visit. Lack of communication somewhere.

Snadger I'm another who uses the freezers constantly, or throws leftovers into soups. I also find that slicing, covering in gravy and freezing in individual portions is great for roast meats. Even when I make bread in the breadmaker I cut the loaf in half when it's cool and freeze half so we never end up with mouldy bread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        ^ It's a problem, Snadger. Do you like mind eating leftovers the next day? Maybe make a meal and spread it over two days? I can't think of any nifty names, though, apart from Twoday Tuesdays.
        Nah, I've already got Tuna Tuesday which can be a problem when I have other stuff going to waste. May have to make some changes?
        I'm not very good with names. Up until now I have Meatless Monday, Tuna Tuesday,Fishy Friday. I nead names for the other four days? I like a roast dinner on Sundays and usually a Full English Breakfast on Saturdays. So Wednesday and Thursday are unaccounted for. One will involve chicken with eggs for another. Ideas please on a postcard to.......
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Weggsday and birdsday?

Comment

• ^^^ brill names Snoop!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Nah, I've already got Tuna Tuesday which can be a problem when I have other stuff going to waste. May have to make some changes?
              I'm not very good with names. Up until now I have Meatless Monday, Tuna Tuesday,Fishy Friday. I nead names for the other four days? I like a roast dinner on Sundays and usually a Full English Breakfast on Saturdays. So Wednesday and Thursday are unaccounted for. One will involve chicken with eggs for another. Ideas please on a postcard to.......
              Why not have "waste not Wednesday" when you use up all your extra bits.

I just couldn't be so organised. I generally shop for fresh food every 8 or 9 days (avoiding weekends) and have 4 freezers. I mostly buy similar foods every week and use the ones with the shortest shelf life first, or freeze them.

Comment

• I LOVE the idea of ‘ Waste not Wednesdays’ !!!!!another gold star for gf….as well as the one for Snoop!

I shop for food generally every 2–3 weeks….everything else is in the freezer!

I may pop out once for something specific…but that is rare!
                This is of course since the Covid problem…prior to that I shopped twice a week, but have found yummy recipes which don’t need weekly shopping!
                It feels to me like my own version of ‘ Covid Ready Steady Cook’. And yep….I’m pretty sure I’d do well in a semi final there!

Comment

• Maybe swap your meat free day so it doesn't directly follow your roast dinner day. Another option would be to freeze the left over meat and use the extra roasties and veg to make some delicious bubble and squeak for Monday lunch.

Comment

• Good evening,pleased them smiles are about snoop,all the best with the camping nicos,so exciting for you,he came to see me,all sorted very grown up,we had a last shop together,as we both wanted stuff,bless him,he said if i need him,just ring,how nice is that,so am back to feeling a bit lost,right thats it,violin back in it's case,have a good evening and stay safe
                    Last edited by lottie dolly; 31-01-2022, 05:31 PM.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Cor blimey - those smiles whizzed by this morning…must be being blown by the wind!
                      This time tomorrow I’ll be on the ferry….fingers crossed the sea isn’t too rough please

Hibou shared some lovely cuddles this morning and then bounced outside jumping on leaves. The driveway was clear of them a few days ago. Ah well….more for the compost heap!

Domestics and packing for me today. I am a bit ahead of myself for a change.

Lottie - he sounds like a nice bloke and he’ll make the right person very happy….you just need to find ‘your’ right guy. He’s out there looking out for you….

Who fancies a brew? Kettles on and the washing machine is earning its keep as we speak….

Comment

• Morning, Nicos, morning, all.

Yes, the smiles were really getting tossed about by the wind very early this morning. Mind you, I think they were quite enjoying it. Saves them a bit of effort too when the wind helps them out. Through from what you say, Nicos, it sounds like they find it quite hard to stop!

Another busy day ahead so really ought to shake a leg and get moving. Better not stop for a cuppa today.

Have a great day, everyone. Catch you all later.

Comment

• The wind is back again. I could hear it while I was snuggled down in bed. There are clouds absolutely whizzing across the sky. In the cloud free gaps I can see a couple of vapour trails very high up, probably transatlantic. For the last couple of years they have been a rare sight here.

Yesterday afternoon an old friend called round. It was really nice to see him as we hadn't seen him since last Summer.

Mr GF is now more or less feeling normal, happily singing some ancient song in the kitchen while he makes his breakfast.

Fingers crossed that the wind dies away before you get on the ferry tomorrow Nicos and you remember all the important things. What, if any, British things do you miss enough to fill the van with to take back on your return trip?

Maybe a grory hop today for us.

Last edited by greenishfing; 01-02-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Things are a very much more limited since Brexit gf.

I always have on my list Yorkshire tea bags, Persil non bio washing powder, Coleman’s mustard, white pepper, Saxa salt ( my grandmothers grandfather worked for them!), zero alcohol Guinness, diet jelly ,Bisto powder, then paint . Some difficult to find here spices too.
                            Anything else I really enjoy I try to eat whilst in the uk ( which doesn’t help the diet!)
                            Last edited by Nicos; 01-02-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	F7EB032E-EA13-460D-AFC1-F04CA1818F2C.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2540545

My final knitting achievements!

Comment

• Morning

Still windy here the winds stocks having fun dancing around.

Cute looks animals Nicos your grandbaby is going to love those, fingers crossed for a good crossing tomorrow.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X