Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning! The wind is still very rough here, Jay, though the early rain has stopped and it doesn't feel quite so icy as yesterday. Planning to write all the christmas cards today, get it done and dusted, then not much more to do for christmas except make mince pies. I haven't made Xmas cake for years as nobody really likes heavy fruit cake, so I may make a sponge type nearer the day. Same with the pudding, we generally have trifle, all parts homemade and with home-grown raspberries.

Can't help with the mulled wine recipe Jay as I don't drink the stuff.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning it looks like being another wet and windy day here.

Jay I can't help with mulled wine either its not something I've ever tasted, I suggest you post in 'Juicy Gossip' you should get a reply in there.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning everybody. Can't say that I can help with mulled wine either. I have drunk it on a couple of occasions and wasn't impressed. The weather is horrid here this morning, windy and driving rain and according to the forecast no improvement is in the offing.

Comment

• Good morning all.
          Stom Barra is still with us and the schools are closed for a second day.
          No power cuts so we have been lucky.

Sorry Jay, never made mulled wine so cant help.

Half of the decorations done so hope to finish that job today.l

Have a good day all and stay warm.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Another non-mulled-wine drinker here. Not called gluewine for nothing (in my opinion, anyway, apologies to those that like it).

Bit breezy outside, but nothing like you've been having in the UK. Hope you're doing OK, Bramble. I've tried growing some brokali. Didn't produce sprouts when it should have done (my fault, I planted it out very late) and the plants are now huge. Some of the offshoots have been torn off by the wind, but the main plants are still standing, amazingly. Supposedly not cold hardy, but they're doing OK so far. Fingers crossed they make it into spring because we could have a whopper harvest then.

Just had a good rummage through my flour bins and have rearranged everything. Looks like I need to get back to making fresh pasta, as I've got a fair few bags of assorted pasta flours to use up sharpish. At least I've managed to put everything away. No bags sitting around suggesting to Mr Snoop that I've got more flour than I know what to do with...

Right, busy, busy today. So better get a move on. The smiles are at the Gardeners Rest. Probably just as well considering the windy weather.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good afternoon, cloudy but dry here today, I've had the dogs out for a walk, uplifted two parcels for daughter, posted two parcels a a pile of Christmas cards, OH says that I should be writing some of them so that I would know who we send cards to just incase she takes ill or whatever, but I have always said that cards are a waste of money, better just donating to charity, now just sitting watching the birds, must be about 18 gold finches here at present, along with tit verieties and sparrows and now some starlings, so the feeders will be empty shortly as they are such messy feeders, right off to get some lunch. Enjoy your day and keep safe and pass on some smiles as they can cheer people up
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Morning all.

Up early to get some work out of the way before more arrives. Feeling very lucky to have it given the conditions. Booked in for our booster shots on 16 December (25 weeks after second dose). Really hoping to see the dentist next year...

Pitch black out at the moment, but very cold. Bit of drizzle forecast. Still quite windy and due to get windier.

Oh, woke up in a better mood today. No bad dreams last night that I remember. So back on track there.

Right, better get on with things. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

I’m baaaaaack!

Good grief - how fast does 2 weeks go when you are enjoying yourself?…very sad to leave but how wonderful to sleep back in one’s own bed with a purring Hibou who sounds like she’s getting a sore throat from so much purring.

We had a rough crossing on the way back but I managed to sleep though most of it so it clearly wasn’t too bad!

Woke up to a heavy frost this morning with those swirly fern shapes on the windows - so pretty.
                  I remember as a child ( pre central heating days - yes rary…..you are going to comment on that aren’t you???) that those swirls used to be on the inside of the window. My father showed me how to heat up a penny in my armpit then press it against the window to melt a spy hole in the frost. Awww…happy memories
                  Actually it was blinking cold without central heating….I used to pull my clothes into b
                  bed in the morning to heat them up before getting dressed!

Right….surely it’s time for a brew????
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning Snoop and all.
                    Grory hop first thing today, and posting all the Christmas cards. I've put a return address on all of them this year, just in case, you know, some folk are not around any more, as a lot of cards are to Mum's "Christmas card" friends, those she sends cards to, but doesn't really keep in touch with. It's a bit sad that she has outlived most of them now, and the list grows shorter year by year.

It feels a bit milder today and the wind has dropped. I do love the wind - walking on a windy day really feels like you are getting extra fresh air, doesn't it?
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning, welcome back Nicos although it feels as though you’ve not been away!
                      Frosty start here this morning too. Shopping delivery today and general domestics other than that not a lot happening.
                      Enjoy your day everyone.
                      sigpic

Comment

• You sneaked in there MH, morning and morning Snoop too!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Morning Nicos and welcome home. You slipped in before me there. Nothing welcomes you home more than a happy cat. I remember fern patterns on the windows as a child, and pulling clothes under the covers to take the chill off them. In the days of blankets and eiderdowns, no duvets then

And I'd love another cuppa, ta.
                          Last edited by mothhawk; 09-12-2021, 07:41 AM.
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Jay - I used to make a lot of mulled wine over the years.
                            No recipe , so it was always different.

I’m not so keen on the tannin in red wine so I used to mix it with apple juice….up to 50:50
                            Add chopped up apple and oranges ad lib, cinnamon and a few cloves and just simmer slowly.
                            Add sugar if you need to but the apple juice seems to be enough.
                            Being diluted in that way you could have a couple of large glasses without getting too tiddly .
                            (If you want something with a bit more of a kick, you could add a shot of brandy, gin or vodka to each glass just before serving.)

Any left over can be reheated/ topped up the next day and the fruit tastes yummy.

Just play around with the ingredients to your taste….I don’t add nutmeg or all spice or anything like that, so it’s a variation on a theme which any drivers can knowingly drink one small glass and not feel excluded.
                            Heating it also reduces the a alcohol level too….

Hope that helps! ( adding fruit juice also reduces the price of it too)
                            Last edited by Nicos; 09-12-2021, 07:48 AM.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all, welcome back Nicos. I can remember fern patterns on the inside too and looking back I'm amazed we survived the weight of all the blankets, candlestick bedspread and eiderdown. I just remember the first time I slept under a continental quilt (in Austria) was liberating.

Comment

• I'd forgotten the candlewick bedspreads - as a child I had a white one with little pink flowers on the tufty bits. I wasn't into pink at all, so it wasn't my favourite. And yes, GF, the weight of all those layers! And making the bed, so many layers to straighten and tuck in.
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X