This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

I've always made scones with bicarb and cream of tartar, or occasionally with baking powder. The one time I used SR flour on its own they didn't rise half so well. Perhaps because scone mixture is fairly dry compared to cake mix SR flour needs the extra baking powder to make the scones rise properly in the short baking time.
    I had a look at scone recipes yesterday, inspired by all this talk. mothhawk, could you give proportions of bicarb and cream of tartar to flour by any chance?

95 litres or mm of rain per square metre over the last two days. The weather people say a bit more due today, but only a bit. I think the clouds need a good talking-to, as they clearly have other ideas. Whoever has the smiles might need to hang on to them for another day.

Have a good day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Snoop we have rain due tomorrow it'll be our first in what seems like ages.

Grory hop this morning not to sure after that, but I'll be collecting leaves at some point.

Enjoy your day.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Very cold here this morning. It was trying to sleet late last night but woke up to a good layer of frost. However the sun is shining so at least everything is bright.

Comment

• Good morning all. Cold, bright and breezy here.
          Off to get my booster jab this morning.
          Looking after my grandson this afternoon.
          Looks likely day is spoken for.
          Have good one and take care.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon all. frosty start, sunny and crisp now. Did a grory hop earlier and picked up some christmas cards too. I intend to get ahead this year

Snoop, to 8oz plain (all purpose) flour mix in one teaspoon bicarb of soda, half a teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 oz sugar. Rub in 1oz butter and add about 4oz milk to a soft but not sticky dough.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              Afternoon all. frosty start, sunny and crisp now. Did a grory hop earlier and picked up some christmas cards too. I intend to get ahead this year

Snoop, to 8oz plain (all purpose) flour mix in one teaspoon bicarb of soda, half a teaspoon cream of tartar, and 1 oz sugar. Rub in 1oz butter and add about 4oz milk to a soft but not sticky dough.
              Brilliant. Might have to have afternoon tea this weekend! Can't get clotted cream here but mascarpone makes a fair substitute. Thanks, mothhawk.

Comment

• Afternoon

I've made more replacement curtain linings this afternoon, I think that's the last that needed replacing, it just shows how much linings protect the curtains from the sun.

Sitting her now with a raisin and apple scone spread with rhubarb jam and a mug of tea.

Bramble I have my booster jab tomorrow as well.

Comment

• Oh my goodness, apple and raisin scone with rhubarb jam... Where's the drool, gimme, gimme emoji when you need one?!

Comment

• Good Evening All I'd love to try baking those scones MH but my kitchen is now in pieces on the garden Storage people were marvellous with the packing of the kitchen cupboards so that was painless. The kitchen wreckers discovered a gas leak. Luckily they were gas certified so isolated the leak. The Gas Man came this afternoon, something wrong with a valve in the boiler and he can't get the part until tomorrow, so now as well as having an empty, stripped kitchen/dining room with a huge hole in the ceiling and a lounge that looks like a cheap bedsit, we have no heating or hot water. We did win a Lucky Dip last night so there's consolation
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Oh Flo, what a run of bad luck you're having.
                      Hope you have the corkscrew handy.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good grief, FF. You must surely be due a big lottery win after your run of bad luck.

Comment

• Oh Flo, so sorry! Hold on to the fact it’s going to be wonderful when it’s finished and you can bake as many scones as you want. In fact we will all come round for tea and scones to celebrate!! Doesn’t that thought cheer you up? x
                          Last edited by Jay22; 25-11-2021, 09:57 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Flo it’s just one disaster after another, hopefully you’ll soon be back to normal xx

Comment

• Morning

Its wet and windy here but I've got plenty to do indoors, then this afternoon I've got my booster jab, I'm hoping I won't have to queue outdoors.

Comment

• Morning all.

Quite a bit of work to get through this morning before off for our flu jabs. No booster shot as yet. Doubtless Mr Snoop will be able to wheedle info from the nurse as to when we're likely to get one.

The weather for the next few days is cloudy and windy. I haven't staked my sprouts or purple sprouting. And the ground is very soft and wet after all the rain. So I hope they don't go sliding over to the side. Best-looking sprout plants I've grown in years.

Right, on with the show. I'm hoping a few smiles will make their way back home today. Their bag is a bit quiet at night, hardly any snoring to be heard at all. Even so, I've sent a few on a special mission to Flo and some more to mothhawk, as the scones are definitely a go-er this weekend.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X