Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop that looks so big, and green too. I bet watering is a never ending story in the heat.

I have had a tiring day at the allotment. My shoulders, arms and hands feel as if they belong to somebody else. I had a rootle around in the first earlies this afternoon. I can see potatoes!!! Some restraint is now required as I didn't plant them out until quite late.

I also managed to break the handle off my trusty old original hand fork, which I've had for at least 15 years. No idea what make it was but it really was strong and got used for all kinds of unsuitable jobs over the years.

Comment

• wow thats some space Snoop,do not envy you,heat or not,
      A good time was had by everyone,i really enjoyed myself ,i really do feel i am living again,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
        A good time was had by everyone,i really enjoyed myself ,i really do feel i am living again,
        That's the ticket, LD.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It looks green now, but in a few weeks a lot of it will be brown, including the unwatered weeds! The weeding is quite hard work at the moment, but if my winter patch is anything to go by, the no-dig approach should help a lot. Eventually. As for the watering, Mr Snoop is currently looking at how to get the solar irrigation system set up. Once that's up and running, that will help. And then a bit later on I'll get a delivery of hay as a mulch.

This year's slow going, but next year should be a lot easier. I'm 63 this year. If I don't do it now, I'll never do it. So now it is.

Comment

• That's a good size plot does look good with all those trees surrounding it Snoop, no wonder its a battle to keep that watered with your climate having a irrigation system will make a huge difference.

Went to the street party, food stalls, music and chat.

Enjoy your evening.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

Where is everybody? I'm going to rattle the cups in the kitchen to rouse you all out of bed. The kettle's on for another brew and there's a pile of toast keeping warm. Fresh butter and honey on the table.

I guess you all stayed up celebrating the beacon lighting.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Sorry, mothhawk, I've been watering our plot and then down the valley to water for friends. Only just got back. Glad to be back indoors and out of the sun, to be honest. Thanks for the brew, but I'll pass on the toast. Looks and smells fantastic but it's still a diet day today, so will hold off for now.

Not sure when the smiles set off, but I hope they find you all on good form.

Not much on the cards for the rest of the day for me apart from paid work and then later on this evening finishing off bringing up water from the well. The fruit trees got a good drink last night but that was about it. No weeding today, hurrah. And probably not tomorrow either. There's always Sunday...

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning all.

Snoop, the farm lads skipping must be worth a photo? It sounds a fun weekend, in the sunshine.

I think it has rained here for most of the night. At one point, while still dark, I could hear it hitting the bedroom window and when Mr GF got out of bed at 7am he said it was still at it. It stopped about an hour ago and the sun is now trying to break through. I've just remembered to put the strimmer battery on charge but I don't really think things will dry out enough to use it.

My plan is to plant out my second attempt at sweetcorn today. They are quite small but the weather is mild and I'm frightened that they are going to try committing suicide like the last lot if I don't put them out.

Also weeding and planting of seeds on my list of jobs.

I think my youngest sister is coming to the allotment today and we'll be having a plant and preserves swap. I set a couple of jars of preserved lemons off last night, so she can have one of those.

Time for another coffee now. Enjoy the long weekend.

I am obviously still half asleep this morning as I first of all wrote this in the wrong thread.....definitely time for more coffee.

Comment

• Good mornig all.
                  Rain overnight here as well.

Thank you for the tea and toast Mothhawk.

Going shopping with my daughter and grandaughter today.

In other news, my sister had been moved out of the hospital and into aa rehab centre.
                  This has been a real boost for her as she feels she is progressing.
                  Still a long way to go but it's a step in the right direction.

Snoop, that's a great plot you have, would love to have a space like it.

Have a good day all.

all.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I shall ask Mr Snoop for a photo, greenishfing. He takes lots every year. It's a nice do and everybody will be very keen this year, as this is the first one since the start of the pandemic. Each group has its own picnic spot and so do Mr Snoop and I, though the last time we went the trees that provided us with shade had suffered some kind of disease. I shall ask Mr Snoop to take a photo of the trees as well. I've never thought to identify them, but sadly it occurs to me they could be ash. We have a lot in the valley that ours feeds into. In fact, they're the main tree in the valley. It would be a sad thing if they were to be affected by ash dieback.

And thanks for the reminder, I want to make some preserved lemons too.

Edited: Thanks, bramble. I'll be interested to hear your take on the Waffle game today...
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 03-06-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Afternoon, still back and forth to hospital every day with OH but worth it!!! Another 7 days to go and that should be it, fingers crossed. So glad to hear about your sister bramble…baby steps on the way to recovery for her.
                      Anyone heard anything about rary and his sister? Hoping everything is ok there too. Keeping you in my thoughts.
                      Sun is trying to peep out but there is a chilly wind too. Clouds seem to be thinning and it looks like a good weekend coming up.
                      Enjoy the rest of your day, catch you later. x
                      sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all you sleepy heads. It's cool, breezy and cloudy here this morning and I think that it's going to stay this way pretty much all day.

Yesterday the sun broke through and it was nice if you were sheltered from the wind. My sister and her partner called round at the allotment for a couple of hours yesterday and brought me some chilli plants. I gave her some of my preserved lemons.

Today I'd like to get another few hours in at the allotment when it has warmed up a bit. I planted half my sweetcorn out yesterday but stopped as it was getting so windy and I was frightened they'd all get ripped apart.

See you all later

Comment

• Morning

Had a wonder around the garden earlier fingers crossed but there seems less slugs around than usual I've not seen anymore Hedgehog poop though. odd

No real plans here today a bit of gardening, shopping then dropping of donations to the charity shop.

enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning, lovely morning and I think it’s to be a lovely day too!!

Funny Bren, we had two hedgehogs in our garden but they seem to have disappeared too.

Have a great day everyone, hope the weather is kind to you. x
                            sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

Good news about your sister, Bramble, hope she continues to improve quickly. And your OH, Jay. And I do hope Rary and his sister are OK too.

It's grey outside, and windy, though not cold. I've done all necessary domestics and I'm wondering whether to bother making some hummus, I've a bit of tahini needs using up, and I can make up the quantity with peanut butter. There's a red pepper I can roast and add with a chilli or two. It's not the making putting me off, it's washing up the liquidiser afterwards. Gosh, I'm getting lazy! Time I gave myself a kick up the proverbial, but seem to have lost my mojo a bit today.
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning all.

All the barrels filled from the well and both patches generously watered this morning. So if I wake up tomorrow feeling a bit the worse for wear after today's picnic, I'll be able to stay in bed. We've been up and at it at 6.30 am this last week or so, but I think I'll have to set the alarm for 6 am now to make the most of the cool. A few years back, I met one of the farmers on his tractor, off to plough his olives, at 5.45 am. He nearly fell off his tractor at the sight of me out and about at that time with the dogs. He assumed I was retired and could loll about all day. If only...

Anyway, we all like bringing up water from the well. A few thousand litres of lovely clean, cool water pumped up last night and this morning and the well level has quickly recovered. Had us and the smiles grinning broadly. They set off in a jolly gaggle.

Good news about your sister, Bramble. And about your OH, Jay. Doubtless you'll get more smiles coming your way today. Good news here too about our friend. He's hoping to be back home on Monday, though I think that's a bit optimistic given the nature of his operation, and he says he and his wife will take over the watering again at their place. The dogs will be relieved. They were starting to get a bit bored, just sitting around waiting for me to finish. In fact yesterday, as soon as we arrived, one of the dogs just turned round and went straight back home on his own. I must admit, one of the neighbours' cats is quite fierce and this particular dog is nervous of him.

Already thinking ahead to next year as I'm way behind this year and don't want the same to happen again. Mr Snoop has promised to make me some cloches for next year, so that will at least speed matters up on the sowing and seedlings. And the weeding shouldn't be so onerous. Must get my lettuce awning sorted this coming week.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Oh, GF, Mr Snoop says no trouble taking photographs for you. I'll post something tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X