This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n’alln’all

Hats off to you Rary - you are clearly a very caring and supportive sort of guy. You’ve clearly had a difficult year with family health issues but do remember to give yourself some quality time - you very much deserve it x
    I’m pretty sure I saw the smiles heading up your way…they were high altitude flying this morning - I wouldn’t have spotted them if Hibou hadn’t alerted me to them.

Speaking of flying….I had to chuckle at Snoops description of hiccuping cuckoos! Very apt.

We have cloud today but no rain now forecast for the week…my garden really could do with a spot more!
    Yesterday my neighbour came over and asked if we had space for some of his left over onions. Well, we gave up on them a few years ago preferring a larger crop of leeks but you know how it goes…..
    Little did I think it’d be a huuuge bag with only about 10 missing Still…better in my potager than his compost eh?

We ended up being out most of the day yesterday - got most of the things we needed - including new flooring for yet another bedroom
    What do they say about “ if you need a job doing promptly then ask a busy person”…well, I guess we should claim that award this year! needless to say that today I’m shifting boxes and furniture from one room to another and giving them a thorough clean whilst I’m at it. I actually think the inside of my house is starting to look a bit like a cross between a junk shop and antique market!

I’d forgotten it is a Bank Holiday in the uk. 1st of May here is workers day. The day is a National holiday - but if it falls on a weekend then there is no alternative day given off instead. So much for the poor workers! Bit ironic don’t you think?

Ta muchly for the tea and cake whoever left them out- very much appreciated!

Best crack on…hugs to those of you in need of them- see ya later - and remember not to overdo things!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• afternoon all,wow it is warm out there,hi Janie nice to see you,nice,enjoy your juke box lass,them smiles are really in good form today,the bother with rain is,it's either far to much or or none at all,all the best to rary and sister ,you sound very busy Nicos,i have put 4 everest strawbwerry plants in the ground,a 5th will be a hanging basket,and the 6th i plant to give the GGboys together with a few other bits,it will be nice to see them growing,i really have got itchy mitts about planting more stuff out,but just my luck,the frost will have them,so i have put the trays outside,and i will cover them at night with a clotch,just see how it goes,i still got to find out about resizing pics,but my brain is full,i am finding even at my afternoon out,i just cannot get anything into my head as to learning the moves to line dancing,i think it is on account of having been soooooo stressed the last few years,am fine with what i already know,bit at a time,i am managing my time better,as in doing usefull things,it all takes time,a lot of days,it is a struggle to be bothered to go out into the world,must be all part of the sea saw ,break over,back in the garden,got seeds to sow,and weeds to hoe,have a good day and enjoy this weather
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Afternoon just reading tomorrow’s forecast and I’m pleased to say we’ve got rain. It will be the first for ages so it will be good to get water butts topped up.

No gardening today apart from carrying plants around and watering, shopped, sewing and walking instead.

Enjoy your evening.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good night sll.
          We have had rain the whole day.
          It was raining when I got up this morning and it's still raining now.
          I decided to do a really through clean and clear out of my greenhouse.
          It took the best part of the day.
          I never knew I had so much rubbish stored in there.
          It was time well spent and alot more space available now

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Happy May Day everyone Are there still events being held to celebrate this?
            I usually put a vase of cherry blossom on the table but ours was hit by frost about a month ago

However….Blue skies this morning….do pass on some of that rain will ya Bramble - don’t hog it all please!

I think I’ll make a start on cutting our front lawns this morning if it’s not too damp.
            Yesterday I managed to find time to prune back our espaliered apples and pears. Strangely some of the long spiked branches were flowering so they got left.

More rearranging of boxes and furniture again today whilst OH finishes painting the second bedroom so we can start fitting the floor this week. Yes it’s all go here

Bramble - Well done getting your greenhouse cleared. That was one of my pet hates when we had one.
            and Lottie …you have had a crazy few years - take your time, you’ve achieved so much coping with all your major life changes.

Right…time for a brew!
            I’ve defrosted some of our black cherries to have for breakfast - with live yogurt and a sprinkling of muesli. Plenty to go around - help yourselves!

Comment

• Morning all.

Bright blue out there, but 100% probability of thunderstorms and rain tomorrow and Tuesday. I think I'm hogging all your rain this year, Nicos. Not by choice, mind.

Sounds like you guys made good use of yesterday. Achievements here yesterday were mostly Mr Snoop's: compost bay dividing wall and supporting post put up and six beds prepared. Weeding, muck spreading and scolopendra killing by me.

Mr Snoop has requested a 'trucker's breakfast' today. Still, assuming I'm not too full to bend down, it will fortify me for the day's labours out in the fields. More weeding and raking out of beds down in the main patch. More of the same in the top patch plus leeks and shallots to go out, maybe a courgette plant if I'm feeling brave along with the last of my potatoes, plus add to my compost pile, which now feels very official. The smiles think all that's a bit optimistic but say they're expecting to see some of it done when they return from their round the world adventures today to see you all.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Nicos theres a few May Day events here we're of to a spring fair later, leaflet says locally produced food, crafts amongst other things. Sounds interesting and its within waling distance.

Bacon, eggs and mushrooms on a sourdough oatcake for breakfast here.

enjoy your day.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• A wet good morning to you all. It was raining when I went to bed and raining when I first awoke at about 6am but I've no idea how much we got inbetween.

While weeding yesterday I noticed we appear to have lots of tiny plums on the plum tree........for the first time in a good few years. I also discovered a patch of self seeded little lettuce...... isn't mother nature wonderful..... and a far better gardener than me.

I think more weeding for me today and/or greenhouse cleaning. I also want to plant some radish and rocket if possible.

I did notice as well yesterday that the asparagus bed is now trying hard and there should be another picking today. One of my friends was telling me yesterday that it's £4 for a small bunch locally so I'll talk to it nicely and hope it continues to be generous.

Mr GF fell over again at the allotment yesterday while trying to weed. He didn't hurt himself but struggled to get back to his feet. He did it eventually with the help of me, a wheelbarrow and the plum tree. He is now "temporarily" banned from weeding. He was muttering about helping me clean the greenhouses instead but after last years visit to A and E and plastic surgery on his elbow he is banned permanently from them.

Off to see if any of my seedlings need a drink now.

Comment

• Good morning all and happy May Day.

Nicos, you can have the rain, it's still falling since late Friday night.
                    Promising myself I wont let the greenhouse go tinpot from now on.

The smiles came by earlier Snoop but they didnt stay long in the rain.

Our family are going out for a late lunch today.
                    We have three birthdays to celebrate do looking forward to that.
                    I think there will be 12cor 13 of us.

Hope everybody has a good day.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• hi all,we got some gentle wet stuff as well,potted on some toms,also some chillies and peppers,i am just going to have to see what occures,as these are my second lot to loosing the first,they got 2 chances eh,am itching to get the hanging baskets up,and plant out the beans ext,the does seem to be a few varieties seeds not all viable,like GF toms,i hope this change in the climate is not to blame.sitting in the conservatory hearing the gentle tinkle of rain seems relaxing have a good day everyone.
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• I have had a nice day although I did come home from the allotment with frozen, filthy feet. It really wasn't sandal weather... My sister came over with two bags of frozen goodies for me. Evidently I was telling her a few weeks ago that I really fancied a good seafood, or mixed paella and there is nowhere near here to get one or even buy all of what I consider to be the must have ingredients. Evidently each of these bags contain all the seafood bits I will need. I have spent ages ever since looking up paella recipes. I intend making a trip to Sainsbury's later this week now to get some paella rice and I can't wait to have a go. I just hope my cooking skills produce something edible. We also swapped some little plants. I also picked another 10 spears of asparagus.

Comment

• Morning all.

I just checked the weather forecast. Rain expected at 8.45 flashed up a message. Well, they got it wrong by three minutes, as it started at 8.42. Looks like their short-term weather forecasts are pretty accurate! Quite a bit due today and the same again tomorrow. To be honest, I could do with a day off gardening. And Mr Snoop definitely could. We rather overdid it yesterday. Still didn't get everything done that I'd suggested, but that's always the way.

I've left the plants out in the rain as part of their hardening off training. Looks like they're going to have to get used to it this year. Yet more rain due next week supposedly.

The smiles set off just before the rain started, a bit later than usual. I think we were all having a bit of a lie-in after the weekend's exertions. Plenty of indoor work for me to do, though, if I don't want to be in trouble with my clients.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning n’alln’all

First of all - many thanks for those of you who shared your rain - much appreciated!
                            Good timing too seeing as it was whilst I was asleep

More sorting indoors later on, but first I intend to make the most of the wet soil and yank out more weeds. What is it with dandelions?….one tiny cluster of leaves, then next time you look at it, it’s in flower and difficult to dig out

Right…so, hands up for porridge - I seem to have made a tad too much so do help yourselves.
                            Yesterday I accidentally also made a lemon and orange zest slab cake whilst the oven was hot…so there’s loads spare of that too if anyone fancies a chunk of that with their morning coffee/ tea break. ( got to make the most these days of a hot oven eh?)

Enjoy your bank holiday peeps - don’t overdo things!

Comment

• Good morning all.
                              Glad to see the back of the rain, it didnt stop properly until yesterday afternoon.

Nicos, I will pass on the porridge but as you've mentioned breakfast I must confess we will be having a champagne one.
                              It's my birthday today and also my grandsons 16th and my sons last week so still celebrating.
                              All occasions must be celebrated after the last miserable two years.
                              Snoop, the smiles were dancing on the window ledge earlier.

Have a good day all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all,thanks for the smiles and the lemon/orange cake girls,well not much wet was had here,i will have some garden time today,what i have discovered is,amongst the shrubs that were dug up for relocation,is a lovely rhodadendron,bright orange,i first thought it was another pieris,with the bracts,but since being pottered up,for now,it has opened up into flowers,so thats a good find,it seems like a nice few shrubs and fuchias are present,aparently the lady who had the place originaly from new,won prizes for her fuchias,it was somewhat neglected before i moved in,so it is slowly being transformed into a new version of what it was,only this time,with a allotment ,have a good day every one,seems that sun is trying hard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X