time to call it a day ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to call it a day ...

As I may have said on here the allotment site where i am has in the last few years been pestered by 2 legged foxes last year we were done 4 times in as many months and so far twice this year . all my poultry have gone and so I've pretty much decided (along with a couple of others) to call it a day. So, the 1/3 of an acre I did have with fruit trees etc will go and I'll be back to the bottom of the garden something like 18 x 8 but I reckon I can get most of what we need from that with a bit of planning. but as that was let go for a couple of years its going to be a bit of a mission. still I've a good supply of 35ltr pots so for the first couple of years I may grow stuff in those whilst the ground cover does its business. Its a shame but I just can't be Ar5ed with the hassle.

Onwards and upwards ...
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Must be devastating, things like that happening so often. I'd give up too if I were in that position. Best of luck at home, though. Sounds like you could get quite a productive set-up going, plus the convenience of growing and harvesting right on your doorstep.

Will you get more chickens at home?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      ... Will you get more chickens at home?
      Hi Snoop Puss,

No, the bit where I'm going to grow is where my two old runs were.so theyre going to be coming out. the timber will be re-used and the housing thats in there I will re purpose as a hedgehog house as we have a couple of snufflers in the garden so I'll leave the ramp down and fill it with some bracken and straw ( I live near 260 acres of woodland so bracken is not a problem).
      Last edited by nick the grief; 18-09-2021, 02:33 PM.
      ntg

Comment

Sorry to hear about your lotty problems Nick. So annoying and very frustrating. At least growing in the garden you can keep an eye on it.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Those are going to be some happy hedgehogs. I have to say, my experience is that chickens and veg patches don't go. I've put fencing up to keep the dogs and chickens out. Even just dust bathing, chickens can be a bit destructive.

Comment

How frustrating for you

We had 2 legged foxes playing football and jumping on all our veg and cloches on our first site in the uk.
            We’d worked really really hard making 3 clay allotments into very productive sites, but we both used to feel sick with anticipation towards the end, What would be damaged/ stolen…..and I stopped going on my own during the week with my children ….it’s a horrible situation to be in.
            Really frustrated for you as I know how much effort youz’ve put in over the years.

Growing at home though is absolutely amazing. If I lived in the Uk I’d convert all of my back garden to a lottie…absolutely no second thought on that.

Knowing your character Nick, you’ll make an amazing success of this new adventure , and wonder why you stuck out with the old system…. ( I understand that though….it’s all the time/ £ you put into it and the pleasure of having a bolt hole away from your everyday life)

why not keep a blog on here so we can see how you convert your garden to a lottie.
            I know many people must be interested in doing that and need an experienced grower to show them what works for them!
            They just need to take that leap of faith!
            Last edited by Nicos; 18-09-2021, 04:06 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

How disheartening for you Nick.
              It's not like the good old days when you could even leave your shed door open.
              The best of luck converting your back garden.
              I grow in my back garden and with careful planning I manage to grow a little of most crops we eat.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Its so disheartening o see your hard work come to nothing all because of someone else As a teenager I remember my Dad giving up his allotment for the same thing and that was 50 years ago so really not much has changed.
                I'm a back garden grower and its surprising how much you can fit in a smallish area I have 3 none raised beds, a bean row, a lot of buckets, troughs and redundant recycling boxes producing enough veg for the 2 of us with some left over to freeze, bottle, dehydrate for winter.
                I do like how I can nip out the back door and get a bit of lettuce for a sandwich.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We had a visit from the two legged a year or so ago.
                  The fix was to pose as customers for the missing items when they appeared on sale and recovered most of what went missing.
                  They went back to thieving drain covers.
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    ... and I stopped going on my own during the week with my children ….it’s a horrible situation to be in.
                    Really frustrated for you as I know how much effort youz’ve put in over the years.
                    Thats the worst bit Every time you go down there you think ... What am I going to now

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    why not keep a blog on here so we can see how you convert your garden to a lottie.
                    I know many people must be interested in doing that and need an experienced grower to show them what works for them!
                    They just need to take that leap of faith!
                    I may do, the bottom half of the garden has been let go so it is wild ! living where we do we get lots of birds and they have liberally sprinkled Blackberry brambles everywhere which I sort of kept in check but this year with all the rain we had they have gone wild! Its going to look like slash and bur in the amazon

I used to grow here before, firstly veg then I moved on to Chrysanth and Dahlia's so I know the soil is good and I've just treated myself to a new stainless spade and fork so that will help.

I'll put my thoughts down in it anyway.
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 20-09-2021, 06:42 PM.
                    ntg

Comment

So sorry to hear this Nick, words fail me so I’ll just say best of luck with your new venture!
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear that Nick,it takes all the joy of growing away,so soul destroying,all the best with the home plot.
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

It took me 5 years to get my allotment. I was only there for 2 years. I built a green house, planted fruit trees, raspberries, vegetables. Tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, melons etc. I went there one day and found someone digging in my allotment. I had had enormous problems with the woman who ran the allotment society. I just left. I couldn’t deal with the aggro. I probably left over £1000 worth of stuff but I wasn’t in a personal space to fight it at the time.
                          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                          Oxfordshire

Comment

Herem are the first pictures of the new plot, I got the keys then was knocked out by Covid for 6 weeks ! Back to as normal as I ever get trust you are both well and are ready to crack on with the new season.

1st on is from the top looking towards the road way (norf ish)
                            2nd from the road looking sarf up the plot
                            3rd one is the derelict area behind the ‘polytunnel’ (shown in picture 4) . I don’t think I’m going to have that of the previous occupant as I’ve got my greenhouse.

Its got covering of annual weeds like chickweed ath the minute but that will soon clear up and I’m going to ditch the existing raspberries – they look tired and I’ve no idea if they’re summer or Autumn and replace them with some new ones (Joan J I think) and I’ve a red Gooseberry to plant and a plant of Stockbridge arrow Rhubarb if it makes it thru the winter.

I’ve some Dahlia tubers on order to grow a few of those, and I shall grow some other cut flowers ( maybe get some Chrysanths next year) and the bottom 2/3’s will be veggies

Click image for larger version  Name:	image-20-11-22-04-42.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	2554371 Click image for larger version  Name:	image-20-11-22-04-42-4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	2554372 Click image for larger version  Name:	image-20-11-22-04-43-1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	2554373 Click image for larger version  Name:	image-20-11-22-04-43-2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	2554374
                            Last edited by nick the grief; 20-11-2022, 08:55 PM.
                            ntg

Comment

Sorry to hear about your Covid. That’s a long time

The lottie looks great! Doesn’t look over facing either. It’s going to fantastic next summer. Good call
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X