No announcement yet.

What book you reading ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm re-reading The Morville Hours by Katherine Swift, about the making of a garden at the Dower House at Morville in Shropshire. It's beautifully written and very tranquill to read.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
      I enjoy Conn Iggulden novels, have read all The Emperor and The Conqueror series and now starting the Athenian series, also have his Dunstan novel but for some reason I just can't get into it. I am also reading again the Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time novels
      Sometimes you're, just not in the mood for a novel. Maybe if you keep it for 12 months and have another look. I love the Wheel of Time books, so I'll have a look at Conn Iggulden.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Earth is Room Enough by Isaac Asimov

15 Short sci-Fi stories published in 1957
        Absolutely brill especially seeing as this was written about the future nearly 65 years ago!
        I really love science fiction of that vintage. I think it's the underlying thread of optimism that runs through all the stories. The future looked so bright back then!

(Having said that, I'm also a huge Philip K Dick fan, and he's the dystopia king!).
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post

I really love science fiction of that vintage. I think it's the underlying thread of optimism that runs through all the stories. The future looked so bright back then!

(Having said that, I'm also a huge Philip K Dick fan, and he's the dystopia king!).
          Back in the late 1960s and early 70s I read lots of Sci-fi and really enjoyed it but have read none since. Maybe it's time to have a re-read. In fact I think that somewhere in the house is a book with several John Windham novels in it that my husband bought in a charity shop.

Comment

I read a some of John Wyndham books when I was younger and enjoyed them, have also red most of isaac Asimov, especially like the way most of his novels feed into the Foundation series and that series is among the best I have read, like others I enjoy sifi I also enjoy science fantasy, having read some of J R. Tolkien, George R RMartin game of thrones, before the TV series all the David Gemmell novels, come to think on it I used to read a lot more than I do now
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi All,
              Just started Dirk Pitt Revealed by Clive Cussler & Craig Dirgo. A reference that brings together all the facts about Clive Cussler's fictional action hero, the debonair Dirk Pitt. (Courtesy of Amazon)

I really like the Dirk Pitt novels by Mr Cussler and am looking forward to reading other material by him, his life seems to imitate Pitt's to a point from what I have read so far in this book and other snippets elsewhere.

EDIT: Only the 1st quarter of the book gives an insight into how Pitt was created and his character details along with a brief synopsis of novels from ( Pacific Vortex - Flood Tide ), the remainder of the book being a concordance of those same Pitt novels.

Geoff.
              Last edited by 1batfastard; 24-11-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post

When I was about 12 or 13, in the late sixties, I discovered that my elder brother, who was already living in a flat of his own, was a SF fan and had close to five hundred paperbacks. I read my way through them all, from Asimov to Zelazny and everything in between.
                Endless wonder.

Comment

At the moment, along with other books, I'm dipping in and out of Saki's short stories. They are so wickedly funny. My all time favourite is "The Brogue", closely followed by "Esme".
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Just started Rumpole a la Carte.
                    Its a selection of short stories.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Finished the re-read of the Orphan X-series. (The audiobooks in English).
                      Waiting impatiently for the next which comes out next March.

So. Now what?

Oh well, I have nothing new at the moment, so I take a series who I have read 3 times already too.

But it is good, so I re-begin the

Inspector Ian Rutledge series. Audiobooks too.

In English, I like better the audiobooks. It is less tiring to me than reading the books.
                      Last edited by Iris_Germany; 20-11-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Just finished Nefertiti by Nick Drake
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Still reading The Wheel of Time books, I am on book 5 just now, the problem with reading books is that OH sees you sitting reading and thinks you are not busy, so you can - clean out the cupboard - give upstairs a good clean - move all the furniture about upstairs-clean all the conservatory windows it's time there was several weeks, make that months of dry weather so that I can stand outside and look busy
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I'm reading a book that's a bit left field for me - The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton. One of those classics I feel I should read, though I'm not into fishing in any way.
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi All,
                              Just about to start this book History Of WWII - JPTaylor that I have had since being at school and have to admit rather embarrassingly never read, plenty of other WWII books just not this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ww2%20%282%29_0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	2537102

Geoff.
                              Last edited by 1batfastard; 24-11-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I was reading a book about Romans that shaped Britain, but I have sidetracked into the Gardening organic magazine and churches conservation trust magazine that arrived today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X