Clear All

• mothhawk
    replied
    Oddity by Eli Brown

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Hi All,
    Just about to start Bill Bryson - Down Under. I enjoyed his book A Walk In The Woods which while enjoyable had some quite funny tales regarding his traveling partner in it. Overall though I am expecting more of the same style of writing with his talent for capturing the readers imagination placing him alongside as he takes you along his personal journey.

Summary.

Bill Bryson describes his travels by railway and car throughout Australia, his conversations with people in all walks of life about the history, geography, unusual plants and animals of the country, and his wry impressions of the life, culture and amenities (or lack thereof) in each locality.

In a style similar to his book A Walk in the Woods, or William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways, Bryson's research enabled him to include many stories about Australia's 19th-century explorers and settlers who suffered extreme deprivations, as well as details about its natural resources, culture, and economy. His writings are intertwined with recurring humorous themes.

EDIT:- Very funny in places especially his walk into a holiday resort that took longer than expected with rather unexpected consequences.

An encounter with fellow his American tourists to a famous land mark, possibly even in the world today, he overheard a rather dumbfounded comment beyond belief, but I'll leave these titbits for you to discover when you read the book you'll not be sorry at all......

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 24-06-2023, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Mothawk,
    Ok Ok we get the point!..........

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 13-05-2023, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    Threadneedle by Cari Thomas.

Not a book about sewing
    Last edited by mothhawk; 14-05-2023, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Hi All,
    I must get the full Autobiography of Henry Cooper this small Biography just wetted my appetite to no more from one of British Boxings greats....

I am currently four chapters into a real interesting book a New York Fire Chief recounting his personal experiences being inside one of the World Trade Centre towers as it collapsed his description of the first tower collapsing was just amazing while he and a team where on the stairs.

An everyone remembers where they were event that shook the world to it's very foundations, with the predictable tragic consequences of a faraway war brought to a homeland so far away from the battlefields that nobody thought possible.

Last Man Down - The Fireman's Story by Pitch Picciotto with Danial Paisner.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0752849417.jpg Views:	8 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	2562372

Synopsis: (Courtesy of Abebooks)
    On September 11th, leading seven companies of firefighters up the B stairway to Tower 1 of the World Trade Centre, Battalion Commander Richard 'Pitch' Picciotto was the highest ranking fire department commander in the twin towers when Tower 2 fell. Pitch and his men were on the 17th floor racing upward when the world seemed to explode around them. From his intimate knowledge of the Towers gained during service after the 1993 WTC bombing Pitch was able to lead the firefighters to an alternate stairwell to floor 12 where they were met with a horrifying sight -- more than 50 workers too crippled, too old, or too weak to have made their way out on their own. Pitch ordered his firefighters to form a human chain and pushed and cajoled them down the stairs. They were in the 7th floor stairwell when Tower 1 fell, accordioning into a mound of burning rubble. Pitch and a handful of survivors woke to find themselves buried on the landing of floor 2. This is the story of how they made it out, and how Pitch Picciotto, the highest-ranking firefighter survived the collapse of the twin towers and led his men and the survivors to safety.

EDIT:- Well worth the read even though a smaller paged book, his personal story about his personal journey through the tragedy Before/During and After is attention grabbing. I imagine other books regarding this topic will be just as interesting it makes you think of others not so lucky to have escaped when these acts of terror happen.

RIP all those who were taken before their time.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 18-05-2023, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Hi All,
    Flo:- Jim Broadbent starring in that film and by all accounts the film is a great flick. Funny you mention the book I was looking for that particular one myself the other day after seeing the film trailer...

I had just started Ron Morehead's Voices In The Wilderness that wasuntil it said play Cd track 2 as you read, none the less I carried on with the second chapter but that also said play a particular Cd track, so I have shelved that until I obtain a Cd.

Instead I have just I am three chapters into a rather light on pages book Henry Coopers biography:- H is for 'ENRY it's not to shabby really just a quick and little insight including up's and downs of his world both in and out of his boxing career....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	51pUk+StmYL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2562139

Geoff.

Leave a comment:

• Florence Fennel
    replied
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, which I understand is now a film.

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    The Grove of the Caesars by Lindsey Davis

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Hi all,
    Like your music you cannot help liking what grabs you when reading the book I just read has an expected ending but it sets the next book as William Allen Webb's writing is prolific as he also co-authors with others but I do enjoy his style.

I am approximately (42 Chapters ? - 1/3) into Dan Bronw's - Angels And Demons (What do you call them when you have that many increments ? In some books you have the book split into sections setting up different scenarios as the story unfolds (Anyone ? ) All I know is I am enjoying it which after all is the main reason for reading is it not...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B001K2HOFQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	2561344

Now having read the fisrt book in the series I look forward to carrying on with the rest as this first book was a real page turner and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 08-05-2023, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jay22
    replied
    Reading LJ Ross at the minute…DCI Ryan novels, I’ve Ian Rankin’s new Rebus waiting and looking forward to Denzil Meyrick new DCI Daley in June. Can you tell I like my crime novels?
    Oh I’ve also got a couple of metal detecting books to read which I got for my birthday! I’ve yet to find that Roman hoard although I live in hope!!
    Last edited by Jay22; 04-04-2023, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1batfastard
    replied
    Hi All,
    19 chapters (small chapters between longer ones) into William Alan Webbs - Standing Before Hell's Gate (Book 4 in the 'The Last Brigade' series). I really enjoy Bills work if you like action/Sci Fi/Fantasy then he's the man for you he also has a couple of non fiction books out regarding WWII,

I do recommend Jurassic Jail of which he is currently working on Book 2, this is not your Jurrisic Park of movie fame but is a bit more meaty (Pardon the pun), he also co-writes with various other authors and is quite busy penning whatever all the time it seems, why not visit his web page:- https://thelastbrigade.com/

Synopsis.
    It was all going so well for Nick Angriff and the 7th Cavalry… until it wasn’t.

When Angriff awakened in a world where America no longer existed, he vowed to resurrect his beloved country. Put in command of Operation Overtime and all U.S. forces in the post-American world, he assumed that everyone under his command wanted the same thing.

But he was wrong. And now the forces arrayed against him have the power to crush freedom once and for all.

With all of the twists, turns, deceptions, and action you’ve come to expect from a series that one reviewer called “the best I’ve ever read,” Standing Before Hell’s Gate begins the Showdown Trilogy, where Nick confronts his enemies in a final fight for control of Operation Overtime, while the rebirth of the American Republic hangs in the balance.

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 04-04-2023, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    Recently I have been reading some Jack Reacher novels by a Lee Child, I tried one that was co written with his brother but wasn't impressed by it, after those I read some fantasy novels about Shannara by Terry Brooks, I am reading one just now, I find that books of both Reacher and Shannara are good for quick reads, and I can stop and start with them, I have book by Conn Iggulden which is a follow on from his Athenian series, but will wait till I have more time for reading, as to me, his books are not books to stop and start

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    I'm currently reading Benedict Jacka's sequence of urban fantasy novels following the story of Alex Verus, a mage with a dark past who runs a magic shop in the Camden Town district of north-west London.

Leave a comment:

• Florence Fennel
    replied
    Thanks bramble. Woman's Hour has recommended Mrs Death Misses Death by Selena Godden. I quite like her poetry, but not sure about the book.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Hi Flo, I have just been reading The Good Servant by Fern Britton.
    I found it really interesting.
    You might like it. 😀

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X