Weed Identification - edible?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed Identification - edible?

I am clearing out the last patch of weeds in the polytunnel and I have been impressed by the tubers on this one. What is it and is it edible either the roots or the stem/leaves.

It's great willowherb (also known as Hairy willowherb).
    Some sources say the leaves and young stems are edible, but others say it has a narcotic effect, so I wouldn't risk it, especially as yours is growing in a amongst a buttercup, which are quite toxic.

Also, remove all the tubers or it'll grow back.
    Last edited by ameno; 02-06-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

It looks familiar, but I can't find it in my wild flower book, I wouldn't eat it until you have a proper identification.

Comment

It could be hairy willowherb but the tubers are just that, way more than roots, a skinny carrot might be a better description. It is also supposed to be rare in Scotland (but common in the tunnel?)

Comment

Originally posted by Eoghan View Post
          It could be hairy willowherb but the tubers are just that, way more than roots, a skinny carrot might be a better description. It is also supposed to be rare in Scotland (but common in the tunnel?)
          Hairy willowherb has fairly thick rhizomes, especially on more mature plants. They should be growing almost horizontal (rather than down like a taproot).

It is undoubtedly a willowherb, though, and hairy willowherb is most likely the one it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X