Uncle Sid's beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Sid's beans

My Dad found some runner bean seeds in his shed. He says the only person they could have come from is my late Uncle Sid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210408_135048.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	2522028

Mum reckons Sid died in 2013 or 2014, so these are probably about 10 years old. Sid was a bit of a hero of mine - he was a lovely, lovely man who was still cycling to his allotment at 94. I grew some once from his saved seed and remember them being a really tasty variety. I didn't save any at the time so I'd love to resurrect them.

They look in good condition, but how do you rate my chances?
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Stick a couple on damp kitchen paper or compost and see if there's any sign of life. Nothing ventured.......nothing gained.

Comment

Oh how lovely! I do hope they grow for you
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Give them a go you never know with seeds, then once they've cropped save some of those seeds for next year.
        With seed saving I've not bought any runner beans seeds since 2007.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I tried growing 10 year old beans last year and it didn't go well.I put them on damp tissue to sprout and they all just went slimy and smelly.
          It's worth a try, though.

Comment

I've put some in wet tissue to see how they go. I'm optimistic, I'll sow the lot if I have to, and I only need one to germinate.

Watch this space.
            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Those seeds mostly look in excellent condition MBE. I'm sure quite a few will grow. I've grown beans from 8yo seed that I saved, with about 75% success rate.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                Those seeds mostly look in excellent condition MBE. I'm sure quite a few will grow. I've grown beans from 8yo seed that I saved, with about 75% success rate.
                That's encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                  I tried growing 10 year old beans last year and it didn't go well.I put them on damp tissue to sprout and they all just went slimy and smelly.
                  It's worth a try, though.
                  So far this seems to be the result.

Comment

Sympathy like there from me, MBE.

Comment

Darn...it was worth a try.
                      Is there still one glimmer of hope or have they all rotted now?
                      Even one would be wonderful wouldn’t it?
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That's just the first half dozen - it's a bit early for runners yet so I didn't go mad. Plenty more to try!

Comment

Have you had a look at lottie dolly's advice on beans? See here: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...chitting-beans

I have to say I've started some French beans off too, but I suspect it's still a little chilly for them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                            Have you had a look at lottie dolly's advice on beans? See here: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...chitting-beans

I have to say I've started some French beans off too, but I suspect it's still a little chilly for them here.
                            Yes, that's what I've been doing. I've put another lot in today.

Comment

I put some saved "Firestorm" runners to chit last week. I wasn't sure if they'd grow because Firestorm is a runner x FCB and I saved the seed in 2016.
                              Out of twelve seeds, 5 have chitted and the rest went mouldy. I don't know if the reason they failed was age or breeding.
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X