This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n’alln’all

Heavy rain here. Not complaining but we were supposed to be visiting a friend’s new home for an outdoor coffee in an hour

Rescheduled for this afternoon now.
    Didnt really fancy sitting outside under a brolly

They live near a hypermarket so it looks like we’ll get a grory hop in too today gf.
    Dont need much but I’ll deffo put melons and nectarines on the list. The season will soon be over and I want to make the most of them!

Your pickle sounds interesting gf…you’ve reminded me…I need to buy a cauli to make some piccalilli!

My unexpected free morning looks like it’ll end up being a ‘Domestic Goddess’ sesh! At least it’s cooled down here - I’ll send some on to you Snoop

Time for a brew peeps?…kettle’s on!
    Last edited by Nicos; 16-08-2021, 08:03 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

The cool is very much appreciated, Nicos. We hit 43. 6º in the shade yesterday. Way too hot, but other parts of Spain had it even hotter. No idea how people managed. Bright but breezy today, forecast in the low 30s. Bliss!

Not sure what's on the cards for today. Mr Snoop helped with the watering, I walked the dogs, he's doing the washing-up. So we'll be ready for whatever comes.

Thanks for the smiles, Nicos. They're out and about at the moment, possibly tickling Frankie by the look of his mad antics. Anyway, I'm about to make some buns. I'll leave some by the kettle, so doubtless the smiles will gravitate there. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning all.

Just starting to rain here, that fine misty stuff that does the garden no good at all but soaks you through if you go out in it. the morning walk will be postponed a while. I need to go and check the bees too, the honey should be ready to bring home now. Not a job I look forward to as it's heavy sticky work to get the boxes home and the combs spun, but I love it when the job's done and I have buckets full of the golden elixir!

Time for another brew I think.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning it feels like rains due but not according the Met office or BBC so we'll see. Hope its cooler for you today Snoop I'm sure I'd melt in those temperatures.

Greenishfing I'd love the curried courgette pickle this is the one I've been using for years :-

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...led-courgettes

Good luck with your honey mothhawk as a teenager I used to watch a friends Dad process his and it was fascinating.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I might have a go at your recipe as well Bren. At the moment I have none left apart from the courgettes I am salting and one in the fridge as my sister called round yesterday. I presume the plants will replace the used ones quickly (and I have got 7 plants).

Comment

• Good morning all,
              Bright and very breezy here.
              Me and my hubby have decided to have a day out.
              We are driving up the coast for lunch and a walk on the beach.
              I used to bake lots when my kids and grandkids were around, but with only the two of us I didnt seem worth it as I dont have a sweet tooth at all.
              I make lots of soups and sauces jams and jellies.
              I love this time of year when it's time to harvest all the crops.
              Have a good day all.
              Nicos enjoy your lunch with your friends.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• 7 plants gf? …how brave of you!

Nice recipe Bren!…I’ve bookmarked it- thanks.

MH….I have a litre of my daughters Spring honey here and it’s delish. It’s a mixture of apple and damson blossom from her orchard plus Spring meadow flowers.
                She was saying the other day that her hives are almost ready for taking the next lot.
                We couldn’t bring her meat back here but are allowed 2litres each of honey…so that at least was wonderful.

I seem to have 5 dozen eggs again…at least I don’t have a courgette glut!

Comment

• bit of a dullo day here today. i normally start thinking about what i want to grow for next year about now - then order way too much and can never fit it all in.

Over promise and under deliver...
                  "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                  - Henry Beard

Comment

• The only reason I have seven courgette plants is one year I only grew four and for some weird reason they hardly gave me any that year. It has been drizzly and windy so far today so I've done the supermarket shopping. I bought four bags of frozen prawns so my husband is so happy that he can have his favourite risotto again.
                    The drizzle has stopped now so as soon as the news finishes we're off to the allotment. At the very least I need to water the greenhouses and see what is ready to pick. Hopefully Padron peppers, peas, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Comment

• Afternoon

I've got 6 courgette plants up to yet I've had 35 from them, I don't think I'll beat my record of 106 that was a bumper year for courgettes good thing I like them.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I now have 3 jars of " Curried courgette sandwich pickle" cooling in the kitchen. When I first put all the ingredients in the pan I did taste it. OMG!! I think what passes for my brain nearly blew out of my ears. However I let it simmer away and my next tiny taste was much more edible. I have just jarred it and I am hoping that in a month or two it will be really nice. Before then I will give one of the jars to my brother in law as he likes much spicier food then we do and let him give his verdict. One year he got (and enjoyed, so he said ) all my chilli chutney.🥵🤯🥵
                        I do like spices but that was beyond my tastebuds appreciation.

Comment

• Evening n’alln’all

Cor gf….sounds delish!

I’ve had a fantastic day visiting some friends. The weather was dry and we stayed outside having had a masked tour of their new home.
                          Funnily enough we swapped goodies….a dozen eggs for a pile of courgette.( I’m still waiting for our first ones) Everyone was more than happy with the swap.

we did the grory hop on the way there and getting into the car to come home we were hit by the combined scent of ripe melons and nectarines…utterly droolingly delish!

Fell asleep for 2 hrs in the bath when I got home…not surprising really having been kept up by combine harvesters over the past
                          2 nights.

See you in the morning peeps!….

No sign of machinery tonight so I’m hoping it’s done for now.

Comment

• Last out, first in again?

The dark mornings are creeping in at a fair lick aren’t the? ( that’s not logical English is it?….but you know what I mean!)

The nice thing is that Hibou is demanding to go out later so I’m not woken up so early….it does feel chill and damp out there though so I can’t blame her.
                            The 7 am church bells have just started ( sound great!) so it’s clearly time for a brew…..

Comment

• Morning all

Feels dark and drizzly out as I have only ventured to put the bin out up til now.

Had my first ripe tomato from the greenhouse yesterday, a Golden Sunrise that was delish! Courgettes are coming fast and furious now so I make sure to keep picking them quickly before they turn into marrows.

Had my dog out on a trial run in the car yesterday to see how he got on. We drove to a picnic site and I took him a walk from there. I needed to check out whether he would be ok before I contemplate buying a campervan where we can have a bit of a late hol. He was fine thank goodness.

TTFN
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Morning Nicos, Snadger and all

Had a busy few days, what with chasing about with bathroom stuff then blight swept through the allotment site (it seems a particularly bad year for it). Had to dig up all the spuds and chop most of the outdoor toms. So many lovely sized, perfectly smooth but green beef toms are now in the compost. The spuds are mainly Kifli (blight resistant) so hopefully will store OK. Certainly the extra physical activity got my ribs nagging..
                                Raining today so it's good that outdoor jobs are in hand.

Glad your dog's OK in the car Snadger, be quite exciting to trek off in a camper

Happy Tuesday, hope the bloke comes today to remove the building junk from in front of the house
                                Last edited by Mr Bones; 17-08-2021, 06:34 AM.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X