Old photographs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old photographs

I'm emptying an old single drawer divan bed and the drawers are full of old photographs. I've got to think of somewhere else to keep them. Where are yours?
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Most of mine are stacked in boxes with lids in the cellar which has the boiler and freezers, so it’s always dry and warm.
    The very old family tree ones are in a small cabinet in our study along with my family tree files

I started going through some of my teenage photos during the first lockdown and had a couple of afternoons sat out in the sun refreshing happy memories, but also chucking out quite a few. I’m bad enough at photography these days , but with a cheap camera- can you imagine the rubbish I took?...
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mines in a archival safe box, the aim is to scrapbook them one day.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Some of mine are in albums at the bottom of a bookcase, some are filling a drawer, lots got burned in a fire and all my dad's old cine films from the forties and fifties are in the bottom of a cupboard along with an equally ancient projector.

Comment

I stored a lot of stuff in a rented container whilst my house was being renovated. My business partner at the time, unfortunately, had access to my private account and she cleaned it out. I lost most of my furniture and belongings as I couldn't pay the rent. In the unit were some very personal family things including photos. I have retrieved a lot of them from family members who have copies but they don't have the personal ones from myself and my late partner. Thank god for Cloud storage.

I have been given 2 boxes of information about my dads family including photos, most of them people i don't know from Adam and have no idea how to find out and why they were so important to my dads family.

I've started a family database with all that I know about our family tree including photos. They are being stored on a usb drive and I will copy it to all close members of the family.

My daughter gave me an album of photos whilst she and her brothers were growing up. All this information is now in one place and should I shuffle off tomorrow they will know how to find it and how to add to it.
          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
          Oxfordshire

Comment

Mine are in numerous places.
            Lots in albums, some in storage boxes and others on memory sticks.
            I have made several attempts to sort them but it's a job still half finished.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
              ...I've started a family database with all that I know about our family tree including photos. They are being stored on a usb drive and I will copy it to all close members of the family.
              That's a brilliant idea, Janie. My mum has several boxes of old family photos. Sorting them onto a memory stick and copying for the rest of the family will be my next project and is going to be a great way to stay occupied until the world re-opens. Thanks for posting it.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

One of my sister's had had a photo book made for a landmark birthday of mine. She had collected together lots of our old photos and they were made into a hardback book. It was a wonderful present.

Comment

Ours are in boxes under the stairs. Funnily enough I’ve just been going through old video film from 30 years or so ago. Unfortunately some of them are running fast and I’ve no idea how to fix that. I’m about to order some blank DVD’s to transfer the good films over. Used to have old movies of OH’s family but his aunt ‘borrowed’ them and didn’t return them. She has since passed away, so who knows where they are. I love looking at old home movies, OH hates it!
                  sigpic

Comment

Not got many ( ahhh) never bothered when I was young and as the youngest most went to my sisters. I've got my dads old fotos from the when he was in the RAF and some of his 'colleagues' in 142 Sqdn the most I have is from when I walked the West Highland Way in 2000 with 2 mates and we all took photo's and then get two extra set of prints and swapped with one another. MOst of my photo's are online or digital on various external HDD's
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

You’ve just reminded me Jay that we have several home cine films of OH when he was a nipper. We need to get them transferred onto a dvd or something before they are too fragile to handle.
                      I also have some very discoloured pink/orange slides which could do with transferring onto something too.
                      No idea what the best thing to do with them is!...any advice please?

One of the slides ( which I hope I have) is of me walking on the sea in Blackpool when it was frozen (back in the Spring of ‘63)
                      I actually remember how hard and lumpy it was underfoot. It only froze a few feet out to sea but it must have been cold given that it’s tidal and salty!

Comment

^^^ funnily enough, I was wearing the same hat, coat, thick tights and wellies I wore in my summer holiday photos too

Oh I do hope I have it...

Comment

I have both my side and a few of ME side,going back a few generations,some wows have been had with eldest son the other week when sorting out,funny to see how things have changed,and lovely to remember some past faces,places ext,yes it has not been a dream,the pics prove it hehehe.
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X