Ow, ow, ow.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ow, ow, ow.

I have two dogs, brother and sister from the same litter. I"™ve had Holly since she was 6 weeks old and she has slept on my ponytail almost every night since then. I inherited her brother at 11 months. Holly has recently been diagnosed with canine dementia. I"™ve never heard of it before. Tonight they were both snuggled up to me on the sofa when I picked Holly up to move her as I needed the loo. She didn"™t just bite me, she embedded her teeth into the joint of my hand. I had to hit her to make her let go. She then went for my ankle. She was then trapped in the kitchen. She"™s now back on the sofa with myself and her brother. The vet did say that this was a decision I will have to make within the next 12 months. As far as I"™m concerned as long as she has a quality of life I won"™t go there. I love her so much but I can no longer trust her with my great grandchildren which will make the next 12 months even more difficult than the pandemic is already making it.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

That sounds like a nasty incident, Janie.

You're not going to like what I say next, sorry in advance.

If she's behaving like that, she's probably confused and terrified. Not all the time, but often enough. You only have to see people with dementia to know how frightening they find it. She maybe doesn't know where she is or who she's with. If that's the case, the kindest thing might be to have her put to sleep. Kinder for her and for her brother too.

It's a horrible decision to have to make. Really sorry that you're in this position. We're coming to terms with the fact that our oldest dog - our first ever dog of our own - is starting to show signs of age. Mr Snoop is going to be heartbroken when she goes. So I know how you feel.

Comment

It's a sad situation, Janie, but I agree with Snoop. Suppose it had been night-time - you infer she sleeps on your pillow - it could have been your face she mauled.

If she is already confused enough to bite you so badly then her quality of life is already worsening, and no doubt her changing personality is bewildering to her brother too. You have to go with what is kindest for her, even though for you it is the hardest choice.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

I don"™t know,I remember my sisters dog bit her ankle once,it was really random she was just walking past,I don"™t think it happened again,he wore a muzzle in the house for a while,he was a westie & was old. I would get a muzzle it"™s to make the dog understand but also don"™t get your face too close now. Take off the muzzle for feeding etc. Is there a medication to calm dogs with dementia?

Comment

Hopefully your vet can advise you?
          There is medication for some aspects of dementia in humans- I imagine there must be something equivalent for other animals / pets???

You have my sympathy Janie - it must be a heart breaking time for you xxxx
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Back again. The vet that diagnosed her was a locum. I"™ve now had a chat with our usual vet who has known her all her life and has an interest as his choice of dog is Jack Russell.My two are x Jack Russells. He has had the same experience with one of his, although not quite so early in their age. Hollie also has liver failure that has exacerbated her symptoms. In the main she is her normal happy self. So we have a plan to manage her illness whilst she has a mostly quality of life. This means wearing a soft muzzle when in situations where she could bite someone else. The big problem is the size to buy. He has also given me a clue as to when the difference is between quality of life and not.
            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
            Oxfordshire

Comment

Glad to hear you have advice from someone you trust Janie x
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've been thinking about you, Janie, and wondering how you, Hollie and her brother were doing. Sounds like you've got a good, caring vet, there. Big hug.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X