Wellie recommendation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellie recommendation

Can someone recommend a wellie that's good for walking in as well as gardening, and are long lasting? Years ago I used to buy Hunters but when two pairs on the trot split within 6 months I decided they were not worth the money. I've tried cheap garden-centre ones but they barely make it to 6 months, usually the heel starts to leak around the seams. I've looked at these wellies
    and also these Wellies
    Has anyone tried either? I really wanted rubber rather than PVC as it's more sustainable (I think?)
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3951.PNG Views:	0 Size:	805.8 KB ID:	2510020
    Have you thought of trying equine mucker boots?
    I used to live in mine years ago and keep thinking about buying a replacement pair again

The quality used to be fantastic.

Mine were Woof Wear Short Yard Boots.
    Looks like they are Velcro now but can't see they would be a problem.

Just checked and they do longer ones . No idea how waterproof they would be compared to wellies but I never got wet feet walking across sopping wet fields bringing in horses ...good tread and warm too.
    I have wide feet and they fitted well - used to be slightly on the longer size yo allow for extra socks if that's what you wanted, but my feet were never cold in them.
    Last edited by Nicos; 07-10-2020, 01:04 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Equine and farming suppliers are the place to go. They carry a full range.
      http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...llington-boots
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

^^^ nice site!

I have 2 pairs of Le Chameau.
        We live 10 minutes from where their original French factory was. It closed down about 3 years ago and they are now made in India. The workers there said the Indian quality wasn't a patch on theirs.

We bought ours (5 pairs!) in their factory shop closing down sale and they still seemed expensive!
        The rubber is thin but comfortably flexible...I'm wary it would tear if snagged on something.
        The neoprene pair are thicker and lovely and warm.
        Neither has a brilliant tread but the neoprene one is better.
        Both pairs my are very tight around the ankle and take some wiggling around , good balance and a boot jack to pull off.
        Both pairs are very tall.
        My son is 6'4" and his fit nicely below his knees rather than at half mast! And he loves them for walking his dog.
        My daughter works on a farm and says they are far too flimsy for her needs.

Just thought I'd let you know my thoughts on them

Comment

I considered Le Chameau Nicos, but thought they'd be too long for me as they are taller than hunters. The woof wear boots look good, I'll check them out. Thanks for the link plot70. Lots to check out there.
          Endless wonder.

Comment

You have got me thinking about the sustainability you mentioned.
            I found this site selling loads of natural rubber boots

https://www.welly-king.co.uk/s01.php...7&pp=sucheskat

Thing with wellies though is that you need to put your feet in them to see how they fit first don't you?

Comment

I finally decided on these because the sole is special anti-slip and thicker than most so hopefully won't wear through so fast. Although I mostly walk around the fields/footpaths here, there are some stretches of road walking, and that does wear down the soles.

https://www.cherrytreecountryclothin...ed-wellington/

You're right about fitting Nicos. I hope I won't have to send them back again. And I really don't want to have to go into shops trying on boots as things stand ATM.
              Last edited by mothhawk; 10-10-2020, 10:52 AM.
              Endless wonder.

Comment

^They look fantastic, mothhawk.

Bookmarked that site for later perusal, Nicos.

What a great forum this is! Thanks, guys.

Comment

They do look good.

Comment

Evidently too late for any information to help you just now mothhawk but possibly if required in the future you might consider walking boots and gaiters, having covered a lot of miles over bogs and burns and never getting my feet wet I would highly recommend using them
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Those look great MH!
                      Love the soles too!

Fingers crossed they are perfect

Comment

Used them twice already. They are comfortable and really grippy on the footpaths round here, which at the moment are hard earth but with a thin slick of soft mud over the top. And they are warm too. very pleased with them so far. Let's see how long they last - I'm hoping for more than 6 months with this pair.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

I bought my Dunlop ones from Screwfix last winter, priced about a £10 if memory serves me right. Admittedly I only wear them when it's really wet but they were well used in winter and spring with the lovely storms we had. Not sure what you mean about good for walking, I wouldn't go hiking in wellies and have a stout pair of walking boots for that. And those would not be worn at the allotment.

The Dunlops still look good as new and will definitely see me through this next winter. I believe they are rubber (don't quote me) and they are very comfy.
                          Leafy Hampshire
                          2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

This is heavy clay country, and the footpaths round here are not surfaced in any way - in winter they become 3 or 4 inches of deep mud and puddles. In fact some become impassable. I find that I'm constantly cleaning and drying my walking boots, wellies I can just hose down under the water butt. But wellies need to stand up to walking through the village on tarmac to reach the fields, and tarmac is very wearing on rubber, so the wellies need strong soles.
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Can't get much better than Vebram soles!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X