2020 isn't to bad after all

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 isn't to bad after all

I went looking at a private allotment today and took on a plot. I am so happy I can start growing again and be outdoors

It's a 25min drive away to the middle of no where, but fella can fish on there while I am on my plot and Rollo(my dog) can have a wonder around my plot as it will be fenced in.

I am starting from scratch. Nothing on there apart from a fire bin. The floor is all stoney and no soil. It doesn't matter tho as I have always wanted raised beds.
    Going to be getting a polytunnel and a shed this year and hopefully make some raised beds out of pallets by end of this year so I am ready to start the growing season next year.

I wont be going on the plot for a few days as I am working but when I do I'll be making measurements and then planning where everything is going to go.

So excited
    Carrie

A few plots are coming vacant again as people who took up every single vacant plot after the start of cherryade virus are beginning to give up again.
    I took mine on a month before it all went off and as I ripped up all the couch grass and bind weed I watched them all come onto vacant plots and then give up as there work places called them back in again.
    My plot is walking distance from home.
    I am harvesting crops now and have had complaints that there are too many of some of them too.
    Last edited by Plot70; 07-09-2020, 02:41 AM.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Yay, congratulations, Carrie. Hope you have lots of fun. Having been through the experience, you know what to expect. And although it will be hard work and maybe even an expense at first if you have to bring in lots of compost and soil, a blank slate can be a lot of fun.

And congratulations to you too, Plot70. Complaints about gluts are better than no harvest at all.

Comment

Well done on getting your plot, start looking for supplies of manure and compost for your beds, I got a load of council soil improver for free when I started filling mine.

Comment

Fantastic news !... really chuffed for you. It sounds ideal -espesh as your OH will get to do some fishing too! ( river or lake?)
          Remember to start composting leaves too..nothing like a bit of free compost eh?

Do share some piccies won't you? Sorry-We can't help being such a nosy lot!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Congratulations Carrie,hope everything goes well for you on your plot,you might find some good end of season bargains,like sheds on display & seed sales good luck

Comment

Congrats Carrie, I hope you enjoy your plot as much as I am enjoying mine
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Fantastic news !... really chuffed for you. It sounds ideal -espesh as your OH will get to do some fishing too! ( river or lake?)
                Remember to start composting leaves too..nothing like a bit of free compost eh?

Do share some piccies won't you? Sorry-We can't help being such a nosy lot!!!
                It's a river. I will be taking some pictures and show you guys. Having to self Isolate at the moment coz OH got symptoms.
                Carrie

Comment

Oh gosh...hope you are both ok xx
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hope you're both OK. But a plot near a river is brilliant. Likely to be a high water table so plants will love it. You should get some decent harvests once you've got your beds in place. Happy times ahead.

Comment

OH is fine now. But I've started with a sore throat and a bit of a cough. We finally manage to get a test and going for it this afternoon.
                      Carrie

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. The results come back negative so we went to the plot and measured it up and took pictures. Not a lot to see on there at the moment but we are going to be slowly building it over winter making some beds ready for spring.

https://www.facebook.com/CarriesAllotment please like my page to keep upto date with what I am doing on the plot

Carrie

Comment

That plot looks like mine did just under a year ago.
                          The crops are coming in now. There is a bit more work to get it looking good.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Feel like a kid on Christmas day today. So excited to be putting up my polytunnel today and tomorrow wood for my raised beds are coming so will be putting them together when I am next off.

Can't wait!!
                            Carrie

Comment

Sorry, only just spotted your post. How's it all going?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X