What’s the difference?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the difference?

What is the difference between liquid soft soap sold in Garden centers and liquid soft soap sold in Super Markets for cleaning. Apart from the price. I’ve seen white vinegar in the Garden centers which like the same as that sold in Supermarkets at a fraction of the price.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Not sure about the soft soap and vinegar, but a few summer holiday jobs during my schooldays certainly opened my eyes to how much it is possible to pay for branding and packaging.... One supermarkets cheapest fishpaste off the line first, then stir in a bit more food colouring and change the labels, and it was sold in another supermarket for three times the price!

Are there any clues in the small print on the back, such as a higher % acetic acid?

Comment

Didn’t look at the strength of the Garden Centre vinegar but the Supermarket stuff was 10% and 3 euros for 5 litres and the Garden Centre were charging 10 euros for the same quantity!!!!!!!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I'm not sure there is much of a difference. When I was making soap at home, I just softened some in water and put it in a tub to use in the garden. Some of the soaps you buy off the shelf has all sorts of chemicals in them but I can't see it hurting anything if it's safe for us to use.

I've seen people use washing up liquid in insect sprays too which they swear works just as well.
        Grapevine Facebook Group

My Blog

Comment

Can't comment on the soft soap, but a lot of vinegar sold these days is just acetic acid with some colour (if you want brown vinegar).
          You can buy acetic acid for a whole lot less that 'vinegar' in bulk. There may be a difference in quality control for food grade, but I doubt it. Real malt vinegar is a different thing.
          Acetic acid makes a nice surface weed killer by burning off the tops, it's not so good for the perenial weeds. It is organic and causes no problems in the environment unlike the commercial offerings. Farmers used to spray of the tops of potatoes with acitic acid two weeks befroe harvest so the tops were less likely to bung up the harvesters. These days the machine trims them off as it goes.

Comment

I'm not sure there is much of a difference.
            geometry dash

Comment

Checked both bottles contents and the only difference was that the household one had some Olive Oil added. I am going to try some on something that doesn’t matter and see what happens.

Comment

It's not like malted vinegar, its actually acetic acid. You can buy it online as acitic acid for a fraction of the shop or garden centre price. I dare say if you wanted larger quantities there would be an industrial supplier ready to deliver. Did you know many chip shops now use acetic acid with a bit of food colouring for your chips!
                There are differences with things like apple cider vinegar which has health benefits (allegedly), and malted wine vinegar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X