Return to how it was

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to how it was

With the troubles we have had recently with corona virus I have been listening to comments on wireless and TV where people want the children back in schools, it makes me wonder if society should return to a parent in the house when children are still at school, to return to more family oriented lives
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

In an ideal world it would be wonderful.

Comment

That parent would have invariably been the mother that stayed at home.
      Why should they sacrifice their career to be stuck at home.
      Plus, since the 70s - house prices, rent, etc. have increased at an exorbitant rate, which has forced both parents to seek work (in many cases just to survive).
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

I'm sure it would be lovely for kids, though often less so for the parent who stays at home.
        i still remember a friend of my parents (who had put her teaching career on hold in order to stay at home for the family) taking my mum aside and telling her how depressed she felt, and asking if my mum was taking anything to cope with a life that only revolved around young children. They must have thought I was too young to understand, but the desperation in her voice has stuck with me for 40 years now...
        It's not for nothing that valium was known as mother's little helper.

Comment

There's no easy answer, but house prices are no different now to back when I bought our first house, salaries have risen to keep pace with inflation, our 3 bed semi cost £19500, but I only earnt £80 a week in wages and I was a skilled man on good money too. Peoples list of things they want has changed, we didn't have a car or holidays abroad back then, not many people did, our neighbours and 3 kids went out on a motor bike with a sidecar fitted to it.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
            Plus, since the 70s - house prices, rent, etc. have increased at an exorbitant rate, which has forced both parents to seek work (in many cases just to survive).
            I would never look at being a full time mother ad sacrificing a career.
            It's certainly hard work, and it can be lonely at home all day with kids.
            But, I cherish the memories I have of being a full time mum to my own kids..
            Have to agree with Burnie, people were happy with less and still enjoyed their life,
            The greatest gift you can give your kids is being there for them.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              Or was it that the price of houses rose because households had more money with 2 wges?

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                With the troubles we have had recently with corona virus I have been listening to comments on wireless and TV where people want the children back in schools, it makes me wonder if society should return to a parent in the house when children are still at school, to return to more family oriented lives
                It makes me wonder why some people want children, if they are not prepared, or have no desire, to look after them, raise them, and care for them. Gone are the days of "heir and a spare" in most families, so why have children, in this age of preventatives, and overpopulation, if you really have no desire to nurture them?
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

It seems that in rural France it's traditionally the grandparents who step up to that role when both parents work. Particularly during school holidays. Is it fair that they should automatically be expected to do that....?
                  Not easy these days when their children have spread their wings and live further away.

I was probably one of the first 'latch key' kids in my class -but my mother waited until I went to secondary school until she went back to work.
                  Did I mind?...not really. I got up to all sorts of mischief!!!!!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

As the eldest of 5 children (spread over 12 years), a working father and a mother who had a business all I can say really is it put me off having my own children completely. I believe you should not have children unless you are prepared to care for and look after them.

Comment

Nicos I too was a latch key kid, as my mother had to work and of course the key was on a bit of string behind the letterbox, (actually our granddaughter was going through some old photograph's the other day and she asked why there was a bit of string from the key going through the letterbox, try that now) but due to that I didn't want my OH working and the children coming home to an empty house, from experience I think a parent should be there for the children
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

When I married in the ‘60’s I never expected to go out to work. I was happy in our rural cottage and the 2 babies that turned up. I did work occasionally, when needed, on the family farm. I also continued my education and got my “A” levels, a qualification in Business Studies and CIMA. When my children started school my FIL decided that the 3 DIL’s he had working on the farm were too much and barred us apart from picking potatoes in Oct. I was bored. It took very little time to clean our little house and there was little else to do.

So, I found myself a part time job. At first my husband was furious until he realised how handy the extra money was. I had to start working full time when my FIL died and my husband and his brothers fell out with each other. We had to find a farm of our own and couldn’t afford it unless I worked. I’ve worked ever since until last year when I finally gave up due to my cancer diagnosis. My daughter said that she would never work when she had children but has apologised to me for that comment after she realised that she and her husband couldn’t pay the rent/mortgage without her contribution.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

I’m going to add to this. How things were? Social history shows that women in all strata of life in this country were integral to its financial success until the Industrial Revolution. Until then, whatever their status, women worked in the family businesses which were in the most part run from home. With the current pandemic we are going back to how the world worked for millennia and families again have to work together.
                          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                          Oxfordshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X