Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished shredding the first half of the cherry prunings. The sack of prunings from yesterday is starting to decompose already. I stuck my hand in and it was hot.

Finished pollarding the cherry tree. That was an ordeal. Trying to saw branches off whilst sat in a tree isn't easy.
    I now have even more stems to shred than last time, plus a big pile of logs.

Also potted up a lot of the seeds I had been sprouting.
    3 more Swift sweetcorn
    2 more Galeux d'essynes squash
    5 winged bean
    6 Enorma runner bean (the rest went putrid)
    12 Spagno Bianco runner bean
    9 butter bean
    15 Coco blanc french bean
    14 Bijou mangetout.

Comment

• Planted out 10 Wizard Field beans, I'd been testing for viability - they were.

Sowed some Python and Cobra CFBs - very snakey.

Cleared some more of the GH ready for the toms.

Had a little chat with the tadpoles.

Picked 6 pea pods and popped the peas into my mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

Sowed some Python and Cobra CFBs...
        Snakes aside, what are CFB's?

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Had a little chat with the tadpoles.
        Huzzah! Hands down the most endearing thing I've read today.

-----------------------------------------------

I managed to do the following...

- Re-filled the birdie feeders and water bath, and threw mashed potato scraps up on the shed roof (targeted the big mossy patches so the lumps stayed up there - I'm getting quite good at my aim and technique. )

- Washed all the remaining pots and trays from last year and laid them out in the sun to dry off.

- re-potted guava, pepino, goji and sea buckthorn seedlings (more of an ongoing thing for next year).

- Topped a few of my chili plants to encourage better lower growth, but made sure to only do one of each variety to learn from my own experience.

- Allowed my cat into the greenhouse and laid out some hessian bags under a table for her to lounge on and enjoy the sun and warmth. Also kept an eye on her so she didn't check out the raised beds on the other side and do the old dig and poop thing.

- Sowed some mizuna and white mustard.

- Liberally applied what was left of an old tin of brick and mortar rain resistant solution I found to the wooden step-up of my greenhouse. Might as well give it a shot.

- Cleaned out my chimenea/mini grill in anticipation of enjoying smoked snacks during summer, and hopefully a mass of various smoked peppers with all sorts of fillings come late summer/early autumn.

Not a bad sunny lockdown day, all in all.

Comment

• CFB = Climbing French bean

Today was Fruity Tuesday so I donned some thick clothing and plunged into the Prickly Corner where the Gooseberries and thorny things live.
          Planted 3 more gooseberry bushes,
          tied in some drooping prickly brambley canes,
          dug up lots of hogweed which has self seeded from last year because I was too slow nipping off the seed heads
          Topped up the tadpole water
          Chatted to the chook
          Cleaned up the scratches on my arms
          Planted 3 more Beth Alpha cucumbers in GH No.1
          Ate some peapods
          Enjoyed the sunshine
          Puzzled over 3 saplings that look like apple trees but there's no graft - so, have they grown from manky apples or did I jab in a cutting? Watch this space!

Comment

• CFB = Climbing French bean

Today was Fruity Tuesday so I donned some thick clothing and plunged into the Prickly Corner where the Gooseberries and thorny things live.
            Planted 3 more gooseberry bushes,
            tied in some drooping prickly brambley canes,
            dug up lots of hogweed which has self seeded from last year because I was too slow nipping off the seed heads
            Topped up the tadpole water
            Chatted to the chook
            Cleaned up the scratches on my arms
            Planted 3 more Beth Alpha cucumbers in GH No.1
            Ate some peapods
            Enjoyed the sunshine
            Puzzled over 3 saplings that look like apple trees but there's no graft - so, have they grown from manky apples or did I jab in a cutting? Watch this space!

Comment

• Well look at that - you wait for minutes for your post to appear and then there are 2 of them.

The Vine is making up its own rules today and they're rubbish ones!

Comment

• Finished shredding my cherry prunings. I now have about one cubic metre of shreddings, along with a pretty sizeable stack of logs, and two sacks of various snags and offcuts too thick to shred but too thin to use as logs.
                The logs I shall give away at some point, and the snags will go down the tip once they reopen.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  CFB = Climbing French bean
                  Oh, that makes sence, now it's explained. Glad it's not some covert gardening opperation with a dislike of fava beans, which I can see now sounds somewhat silly.

But genuinely... and asking as a "noob", is there a list of gardening short terms that you all use here, and people like me can read up on, or go to an index? Often it's universal, but sometimes it can be forum-centric. Just wondering.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Cleaned up the scratches on my arms...
                  Okay, I feel I want to know. I'm not saying I need to know, but of my few interactions on this forum so far, you seem to have been in there and giving me good vibes. I've also read a lot of posts before signing up.

It would be fun for me to know the reason for the scratches on your arms. Maybe not a fun experience for you, at that time - or even going forward - but I'm a sucker for imagining things in my head. Is it the chatting with the chook? What did you say?

Comment

• Took one sack of cherry shreddings to the allotment and dumped it in the compost bin there (the two at home are full).
                    While I was there, I watered some stuff, earthed up the potatoes, did a little weeding, and sowed some nasturtium seeds in the gaps in the raspberry bed.

At home, I potted on some sweet pepper seedlings, potted up some tomatillo seedlings, and potted up some more seeds I had been sprouting on damp tissue:
                    -6 more butter beans
                    -3 black runner beans (I saved these from the crop last year. I'm hoping them might produce black beans themselves)
                    -1 Marina di Chioggia squash
                    -6 Pink Banana squash (I had to peel the seed coat to get these to sprout, as they stubbornly weren't doing anything, and so I thought the rather tough seed coat may be to blame. 48 hours later, they all had roots growing).

Comment

• Took the second and final sack of cherry shreddings to the allotment. The compost bin is now almost full.
                      Also, I stuck my hand into the bin, and the centre of it is genuinely too hot to touch for more than a second or so. It should rot pretty damn quickly at that rate.

I then finished edging one half of the big bed with roof tiles, and dug over the small bed where I shall be planting my oca this year. The plants are coming along nicely in pots, so I'll probably plant them out next week.

Comment

• Yesterday I finally got round to putting up a solid framework to restrain my autumn raspberries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200423_180938 rasps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	2387096
                        Attached Files
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Lots of weeding and planting up
                          Northern England.

Comment

• Sowed more carrots this morning, wish the overnight temps would warm up a bit though

Comment

• Inspected chitting sweetcorn found furry black mould and very few sprouted, disappointed. Weeded, obviously. Sowed various courgettes/squashes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayjaybee View Post
                                Inspected chitting sweetcorn found furry black mould and very few sprouted, disappointed. Weeded, obviously. Sowed various courgettes/squashes.
                                When did you put them to chit, and how warm are you keeping them? If you can keep them 25c+ then they should sprout withing 3 days.
                                The mould is not necessarily a problem. Half of mine go mouldy within 48 hours, but they still sprout. I think it's just because they have so much sugar in them, and the mould is growing on that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X