X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dig yet more digging.

Finished turning the compost bin.

Potted up one cucumber and one watermelon seed (the others need more time on the damp tissue), and potted up three rooted sweet potato cuttings.

Comment

• Raked in FB&B and laid Mypex over the strawberry bed and replanted 90 plants, a mixture of Sweetheart and Framberry through the membrane. Gave them a good soaking and dropped the bird net hoops back over them.

Comment

• Evening all, hope everyone is well.

Life got in the way last year, so the allotment and garden both feel a bit neglected. However I have started sowing my seeds for this year and weeding and covering the raised beds at the plot. Ive put in six bags of spuds (just the first earlies), and have the rest to do next week. Still deciding if I'm going to grow them all in bags, or in the ground - I loath earthing up!

Comment

• Potted on some tomatoes and a few marigolds, also howed a couple of beds and covered one with micromesh and placed a couple of poly cloches on the other
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Planted out 48 sweetpeas today..
            That's half of the total.
            Put up supports for the other half and may plant these out tomorrow.
            Potted on my pot marigolds and zinnias.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Nothing garden related . Too cold.
              Northern England.

Comment

• Emptied my garden compost bin, and mulched the rhubarb and soft fruit with it, then refilled the bin with the half-rotted contents of the "back-up" bin.
                Pruned the Japanese quince and one of the massive roses (damn things grow over 3 ft per year).
                Mulched all my fruit trees with the raw wool I picked up in December.

Potted on my tomato plants, potted up the second watermelon and cucumber seed, and sowed some cape gooseberries and tomatillos.

Comment

• Put peas and parsnips to chit, potted on toms, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts and assorted lettuce.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Hurrah got outside without freezing

Sowed sunflower seeds
                    Took calendulas into gh after a space grab
                    Potted up some lillies
                    Finally dealt with hellebore clump from last yr that's been sat in a bucket as I damaged knee afterwards. Have 5 plants more now.
                    Fed Rose's,.clematis and azalea/rhodo
                    Prepped tea
                    OH cut the grass
                    Northern England.

Comment

• Primarily started the greenhouse re-location project.

The area the greenhouse is moving to had a stone building collapse on to it about 15-20 years ago and was largely left as is so has large pieces of stone mixed in with grass. The previous owner also used to use this area for deliveries of loose gravel so its all a bit of a mess.

Removed most of the grass and started collecting up the large (and heavy!) bits of stone.
                      Have transplanted a lot of the grass into one of the (currently empty) horse fields that has some areas that were just mud so hopefully some of that will take there and reduce the reseeding required this year.

It will take a few more days of work before I can start levelling and put the base in for the greenhouse but moving in the right direction.

Comment

• Dug over the space under the wall.
                        Planted out another 50 sweetpeas.
                        Dug out some old roots of woody plants that had rotted.
                        Watered all the peppers and tomatoes.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Nothing much on the gardening front. Commuted all the tender stuff out to the greenhouse. The forecast tonight is a minimum of 9 C so I'm leaving everything except the sweet potatoes and watermelon seedlings out there tonight. Put the various brassica seedlings outside to harden off., I'll be planting some of them out in a day or two.

Glorious sunny weather today, so this afternoon the shorts went on I spent a very pleasant half-hour sitting on the garden bench soaking my tired feet in a tub of hot, soapy water and catching some rays. Bliss!

Comment

• Was going to do some more digging today, but my 15 asparagus crowns arrived this morning, so I planted those instead.
                            Also sowed some carrot seeds, and dug up my well past it kale, and took it and some other bits home to shred.

At home, I pruned the buddleia, and pruned the other massive rose. This one was even bigger than the other one - several stems had grown over 4ft last year, and one had grown over 5ft.
                            I don't know how they grow so damn much. I never feed them, yet they seem to double in size every year. Well, I sayI never feed them, but this second one is the the bottom corner of the garden where I bury all the cat mess. Maybe that's the secret? Cat manure.

I also fear I may have killed around half of my pepper plants. It was very hot in my conservatory this morning, and I left the propagator lid on (althoufh the heat was off), and many of the leaves are looking decidedly crispy.
                            Is it too late to sow more?

Comment

• busy day of potting and planting
                              potted on some tomatoes from the propogator, re-seeded my misbehaving onions and leeks, sowed artichokes, sweetcorn, peppers, and lots of flowers.

I have now got all my trays, propogators and so forth in use.

Comment

• Busy day planned on the allotment but barely managed an hour of tidying up random pots lying in various places and binning rubbish before we had to leave due to neighbour's son two plots down lighting a fire and the smoke was horrendous

Neil did manage to find a few tools buried in his shed and I showed him repairs that needed done to two rotten fence posts (replace them) and leaning-over polytunnel bed frames (remove bottom section completely).

I now have a list of jobs to do during the week so Neil can crack on with repairs next weekend

On way home popped into Wilko to get some ericaceous compost for potting on my two Duke blueberries tomorrow, some plant labels and the last bag of seed potatoes (Rooster) in whole shop! I think everyone is growing their own food this year!
                                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X