X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frana
    replied
    Finally took my sweetcorn out of the cold frame they'd grown to call home and planted them out in their new outdoor positions!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Put my squash, courgettes, melons, tomatilloes, sweetcorn and sweet potatoes out on the patio to harden off. They'll be out there full time now for a week or so, then be planted out.

Planted out my 6 tomato plants at the allotment (saved seeds from Mountain Magic, so we'll have to see what they end up as).
    Planted out my masses of bean plants at the allotment, all climbing beans:
    -18 Enorma Runner beans
    -20 Spagna Bianco runner beans
    -13 Coco blanc French beans
    -13 Cobra French beans
    -14 O Del Papa lima beans

Some of the runner beans were over 3ft tall (I definitely sowed too early), so needed pruning when I planted them. They were pretty pot-bound, too, and had loads of side-shoots growing.
    The Cobra are for green beans, the rest are all for dried beans.
    Last edited by ameno; 18-05-2020, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I finished weeding my fennel bed and watched a female blackbird collect so many worms from the freshly turned soil that it could hardly fly back to the nest.
    Watering had to be done too.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Ripped out last year's lettuce plants, refreshed the compost, and sowed three tubs of salad leaves (one mixed lettuce, one spinach, one kale).

Sowed another short row of carrots.
    Laid out some more black plastic for my tender crops. That's about two-thirds of it down now.

Leave a comment:

• Bonjour
    replied
    Potted on some of the peppers into final pots. Evicted the remaining new spuds from the greenhouse and put tomatoes in their final positions, removed side shoots and tied the plants with strings up to overhead wire. Did the greenhouse hokey-cokey with runner, butter, and climbing French beans and gherkin cucumbers. Planted out more iceberg lettuces. Lots of hoeing and hand weeding. Lots of watering.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I did a bit of catching up on that half day I lost due to that broken fork.
    I uncovered my runner beans to see if they had recovered from the first frosty night that took off the first two leaves on most of them. It looks like most of them will come back. I used 5L cooking oil bottles.
    I took the slug guards off the corner plantings of kohlrabi and found a few dead slugs and covered them and the remaining pellets with manure to stop the birds finding the slugs as no more have appeared for a week or so so they have rotted enough or been taken by worms so will not to attract anything.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Repotted six of my pepper plants.
    Weeded the carrots and beetroot.
    Mulched the strawberry beds with newspaper.
    Noticed that the sparrows were eating my newly planted peas, so covered them with mesh.
    Started laying out and fixing down the black plastic (well, opened out compost bags) I'll be used to plant my more tender crops through.

Leave a comment:

• muckdiva
    replied
    Just recovering from sowing loads of flower seeds from the 2019 Seed Circle yesterday. If they all germinate I’ll be seriously space challenged

Today’s job of planting out my French beans was much easier....

Noticed that Mrs Blackbird has yet again pulled all the mulch of my raised beds, bless her, hehe.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I took the digging form back to the shop with the pristine till printout and they replaced it without quibbling.
    It had an old knot in the shaft inside the socket so that you could not see it until it broke off.
    I considered it unlikely that a like for like replacement would have the same fault so that is how I opted to sort it out.
    I then continued right where I left off.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Moved all my beans and tomato plants onto the patio to finish hardening off.
    The nights are going to be mild(-ish) from now on, so they should be fine, especially as my patio is very sheltered. They really need to go out, anyway, as they're getting far too big. The tomatoes are 2ft tall now, and some of the beans are trailing to 3ft and have all wrapped around each other. Getting them untangled will be tricky...

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I broke my second digging fork while weeding a strip along the side of my plot that has not been cultivated for a few years.
    Fennel is the intended crop.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Planted out some beans and sweetcorn in a half barrel.
    my brother in law gave them to me even though I didnt have any room for them.
    planted out some bedding plants, three hanging baskets and several containers.
    hoping the frost doesn't kill them.

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    Planted out my peas, pigeon-proofed them. Planted some potatoes. Gave everything a water. Topped up the pond.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Went to Wilko to buy some more 8ft canes, and set up two more wigwams.

Sowed some swede seeds.
    Finished weeding the strawberries.
    Strimmed the paths on my allotment plot.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Sowed another pot of salad carrots.
    Filled three big pots ready for my indoor sweet potatoes.

Sieved the reject pile from when I emptied out the compost bin yesterday, and managed to get two more buckets of compost out of it.
    Dug in all the compost and some poultry manure into the big bed.

Set up my bean frames and wigwams.

Refilled the compost bin using the contents of the other bin, as well as two sacks of hazel leaves from autumn.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X