X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starch
    replied
    Raining all day so decided to catalogue my seeds, up to P and thinking do I really need 5 packets of parsley and 4 packets of parsnips.

Leave a comment:

• Dynamo
    replied
    Last year was my first attempt at growing Ginger and Turmeric. Although both crops did very well, getting them to sprout in the first place was a chore. With the Turmeric, I placed it in a plastic bag and put it on a windowsill as I'd seen in a couple of YouTube videos, but that didn't work at all and I eventually placed them in pots of compost. This year to try to give them an earlier start I've put the rhyzomes into heated propagation trays. Hopefully this will hurry them along better.

And no, they aren't worms or sausages or pigs in blankets. 😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1582881281854.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2386397 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1582881290662.jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2386398 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1582881297925.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2386399

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Day off work and glorious sunshine outside.....and I had to stay indoors and wait for repair guy to come and fix our immersion heater I made the most of the enforced day in however by sorting through my seeds into a staccker box of veg/herbs/fruit and one of flowers

Let's just say I doubt I'll need to buy any for quite some time!

Working long shifts for next three days so no allotment work but I'll make a start on going through the veg seeds....some beetroots, tomatoes, spring onions, cabbage etc I have multi packs of the same varieties. I'll keep what I need and give the rest to my local charity shop.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finally hammered in my 8ft stakes for the two akebia I planted at the allotment last year.
    Also noticed that both akebia have flower buds coming. Maybe I might get fruit this year from them. I had some (which I picked wild myself) in Japan a couple years ago, and they were really nice, which is why I'm growing them myself now.

Sowed all of my sweet and chilli peppers. I plan to have 12 plants of each (two varieties of sweet, and three of chilli).

Leave a comment:

• jayjaybee
    replied
    Yesterday was the first sight of sun in weeks. Washed pots and seed trays - an ongoing exercise- in preparation for the marathon sowing session. Weeded the 'lawn' of bittercress in veg patch and drowned the weeds in a bucket for weed tea. Sowed beetroot in modules for later planting when soil dries out. Set garlic and shallots in cells, ditto. Considered solutions to the raspberry support system for the coming season.

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    This morning, in the rain, I bailed a couple of hundred litres of water out of my water butt system. Bailing water out seems to be all I have time to do at the plot these days, there's no overflow outlet, so if they overflow, they just inundate the interior of my polytunnel. Usually it's easy to keep on top of this over Winter, a couple of watering cans here and there does the job, but this year is a different story, every time I empty them out, they're full again within days!

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Busy couple of hours on the allotment.

Potted up perennials ~ 4 x Lupins, 5 x Rudbeckia and 6 x Echinacea.

Repaired hole in shed roof where Storm Ellen had ripped through

Did temporary repair of back fencing where rotten wood has collapsed. Need some proper nails so I'll finish this job later in the week.

Cut back 2 x Buddleja shrubs.

Cut back ugly mallow shrub against fence....will dig it out properly later in week.

Pruned autumn raspberries ~ Joan J

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Cutting down and burning rhododendrons.

Leave a comment:

• .commander
    replied
    Stuck my garlic in modules until the ground dries a little. Need to go dig but it's far too wet

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Finally planted out the Charlotte potatoes, 2 weeks later than previous two years.

Dug out second greenhouse bed; laid warming cable; and back-filled with with my patent mixture of MPC, sterile, top soil, and sharp sand.

Leave a comment:

• Chestnut
    replied
    Bit of path work, washed another batch of pots and left them to dry, watered the winter salads in the GH, and popped some shallot sets in pots to start them off ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Bonjour
    replied
    Finished turning-in the remaining seaweed mulch on the potato patch. I'm very impressed with the size and numbers of earthworms that have been gradually pulling it below ground. Now I've finished the job for them, I'll let it settle for a bit, then plant my spuds once the chits are a bit bigger.

I also sowed some more Lyon Prizetaker leeks in a deep pot to make up for the last lot being a bit poor at germinating.

In the greenhouse, I've sown Fiorano spinach for baby leaves in a large pot and sown Tuscan Kale, calabrese and 3 varieties of cabbage, Dutchman, Kilazol and a few left-over Sarmarsh from last year in seed trays.

While in the greenhouse, I noticed my Accord early spuds are showing above ground in their 12" pots. I expect I'll be adding some more soil or compost by next weekend to "earth them up".

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Strawberry bed cleaned up, 4 ft or so of fresh ground dug over and raked level and a couple of dozen new plants put in place. 4ft or so at the other end of the bed will see the two rows I removed there today dug down and spuds planted in mid to late April. My strawberry bed moves around annually 4 ft at a time

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    I managed to get my blueberry bed pristine and made a start on the strawberry bed. All in a single hour too

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Temporarily potted up 6 Gijnlim asparagus crowns in a seed tray in greenhouse and put some fleece on top to stop them getting frosted/chilled.

Back at home ~ set out my Carolus spuds to chit on eggbox on north-facing kitchen windowsill.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X